If owen goes - Who should replace him

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:24 am

I think it would be smart of Owen to leave as Liverpool will probably not win the league in the next 5 years. If he goes and Liverpool get £20-£25m what should they do?

I'd like to see Baros start every game for a year, Hasselbank on a free transfer next to him. Heskey shot.

Just because Wright -Phillips played well against Liverpool people think we should spend £13m on him-get real, even Cheyrou played well for a few games (and Heskey actually scored a goal once).

I think Hamann should go and a creative midfielder bought for anything up to £15m to play beside Gerrard(who may have to do a bit more defending without Hamann). With Kewell on one wing that would give us £15m (assuming Boro pay £5m for that Donkey Heskey) to get a decent winger and a centre back.

I'm unsure about Carragher, excellent defender but doesn't offer much going forward in the way Dennis Irwin did in his prime. Some people think Heskey should play left back as goals are rarely scored when he's around, or should his position be left back in the dressing room?

what do you think?

PS I really f##king hate Heskey.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:40 am

No need to shoot Heskey, just tickle im and he'd run off crying like a little girl to GH

I wouldn't want to see Hamann leave though - he's been one of our best players, borne out by the results we had when he was missing. Having him in a holding position leaves Stevie to go forward which I reckon shows him at his very best. Having said that a creative midfielder would give us more flair.

Whether we need to buy one is another matter, though - imo Cheyrou will come good as he seems to be adapting to the English game faily well now. He's still got a long way to go and would do a lot better in his best position in centre-mid. Hopefully a new manager will realise this and let him flourish. Santini has faith in him for the French side where there's more than a little competition.

Malbranque would be handy and also affordable. Not overly sure on Sean Wright-Philips due to the potential price-tag. Hasselbaink would be a gem.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Coley » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:49 am

I wouldn't want to sell Owen.  He is world class although in poor form at the moment (but he's in a poor side).  I agree about Cheyrou in the middle and Malbranque on the right.

My only addition other than Malbranque would be a quality, pacey centre half.  Can't think who is available and would fit this bill though?
Coley

Postby Woollyback » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:56 am

That's the problem, any obvious candidates for someone pacey at the back would be too expensive and wouldn't want to come anyway.

Owen has been and can still be one of the top 3/4 strikers in the world so we should pray he stays but if he's monkeying about into next season on signing or not, we should sell whilst we can still get top dollar for him

Anybody know if Hasselbaink is available on a Bosman this summer or if not how long's left on his contract?
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion