Rafa and our financial chaos - Worrying bascombe article

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:15 pm

imouthep wrote:I would just like to pose a question to people in the forum.Seeing as this thread originally began with Rafa and our financial problems.

I got to mincing words with a Tottenham supporter who works for sky and I just had to ask him why it is there is so much negativity when it comes to LFC. He claims that as far as ratings go our team ranks quite far behind the so called big four. Our fan base is apparently lagging behind teams as cr*p as spurs. Now me being a full blooded red I argued with the man until I was blue in the face but his statements wouldn't let me rest and I got to thinking. As far as LFC being a brand are we actually doing that well. Yes we would all like to live in a perfect world where all that matters is the football, but we are being pipped to the finish line by teams who seem to have marketed themselves like whores in Soho. The mancs are to announce 75 million pounds in profit and they trade on the stock exchange. Chelsea's "cosmopolitan" image has got their popularity shooting through roof. I for one would not like to see fickle supporters joining our ranks but it is these kind of people that swell the coffers of Man U. With their added popularity they can obviously generate huge revenue (1.7 billion pound tv deals for example), and hence afford players for 30 million pounds in a heartbeat. I just wanted to know what the wise heads in this forum have to say about this. Can we survive in a world driven by profit without "sellin out" so to speak?

These days (as much as it hurts to say this) clubs are businesses and if that is the case are we not falling behind slightly by not being a little more aggressive in getting LFC the brand out and about? Ideally no body would like this but can it be avoided if are to win the title?

So, according to a Tottenham Supporter, the big 4 are Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Tottenham ! Of course.....its all so clear now....
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:18 pm

imouthep wrote:I got to mincing words with a Tottenham supporter who works for sky and I just had to ask him why it is there is so much negativity when it comes to LFC. He claims that as far as ratings go our team ranks quite far behind the so called big four. Our fan base is apparently lagging behind teams as cr*p as spurs.

He's talking out of his @rse, Liverpool and Man United are the two most popular clubs in the world.

There is a North South devide as far as the London media go concerning us but thats been happening for donkeys years and not just because of football.

Do you know we are on the TV more all over the world than any other team in the prem even more than United, Chelsea & Arsenal.

We have one problem with our marketing I will give you that with Carslberg being our sponser due to no alcohol advertising in some countries and we havent explored the market to the full extent.

You only had to see the fans in Japan the way they carried on when we played their in the summer, and this summer we are touring the States and Canada and playing MSL no doubt a financial plan from G & H.

We have won more than Spurs can only dream of and Chelsea are just a fashion accessory at the momment like Paris Hilton's chiwawa under her arm.

Plus once our new stadium is built the more bums will be on seats but it will also rip the heart out of the club.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:19 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
imouthep wrote:I would just like to pose a question to people in the forum.Seeing as this thread originally began with Rafa and our financial problems.

I got to mincing words with a Tottenham supporter who works for sky and I just had to ask him why it is there is so much negativity when it comes to LFC. He claims that as far as ratings go our team ranks quite far behind the so called big four. Our fan base is apparently lagging behind teams as cr*p as spurs. Now me being a full blooded red I argued with the man until I was blue in the face but his statements wouldn't let me rest and I got to thinking. As far as LFC being a brand are we actually doing that well. Yes we would all like to live in a perfect world where all that matters is the football, but we are being pipped to the finish line by teams who seem to have marketed themselves like whores in Soho. The mancs are to announce 75 million pounds in profit and they trade on the stock exchange. Chelsea's "cosmopolitan" image has got their popularity shooting through roof. I for one would not like to see fickle supporters joining our ranks but it is these kind of people that swell the coffers of Man U. With their added popularity they can obviously generate huge revenue (1.7 billion pound tv deals for example), and hence afford players for 30 million pounds in a heartbeat. I just wanted to know what the wise heads in this forum have to say about this. Can we survive in a world driven by profit without "sellin out" so to speak?

These days (as much as it hurts to say this) clubs are businesses and if that is the case are we not falling behind slightly by not being a little more aggressive in getting LFC the brand out and about? Ideally no body would like this but can it be avoided if are to win the title?

Well its a very good point mate, I for one in this day and age of football would be willing to have the likes of heimadell and deff capes follow our football team if it made the coffers swell. After all its only the internet where we met these dongleberries, so it doesnt affect me too much, although I'm sure the Scouse match going fan wouldnt be to keen on these plebs turning up at Anfield week i8n week out, who could blame them..

Well said treacle :nod
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby imouthep » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:26 pm

So, according to a Tottenham Supporter, the big 4 are Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Tottenham ! Of course.....its all so clear now....

No sorry bout that that's j[quote]ust down to my incoherrent writing at times.Like I said you know I would disagree with him bout us being worse than spurs or whatever but as far as Man U and chelsea is concerned I think we have fallen a bit behind and we want to challenge these guys. Everybody is so worried about our lack of calss players but how are we to afford them if we are not successful and in this world does that not mean both on and off the pitch?
imouthep

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:27 pm

Thanks Nan. :D
66-1112520797

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:35 pm

imouthep wrote:

No sorry bout that that's j
ust down to my incoherrent writing at times.Like I said you know I would disagree with him bout us being worse than spurs or whatever but as far as Man U and chelsea is concerned I think we have fallen a bit behind and we want to challenge these guys. Everybody is so worried about our lack of calss players but how are we to afford them if we are not successful and in this world does that not mean both on and off the pitch?

Lack of class players? there is only a couple of positions we need to strengthen, a winger and another class striker to work with torres, another defender as backup and thats about it.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:39 pm

Top 10 rich list: 2006

1) Real Madrid: £202m

2) Barcelona: £179.1m

3) Juventus: £173.7m

4) Manchester United: £167.8m

5) AC Milan: £165m

6) Chelsea: £152.8m

7) Inter Milan: £142.8m

8) Bayern Munich: £141.5m

9) Arsenal: £133m

10) Liverpool: £121.7m

Source: Deloitte

top20

The World's richest clubs:

1 Real Madrid

2 Barcelona

3 Juventus

4 Manchester United

5 AC Milan

6 Chelsea

7 Inter Milan

8 Bayern Munich

9 Arsenal

10 Liverpool

11 Olympique Lyon

12 AS Roma

13 Newcastle United

14 Schalke 04

15 Tottenham Hotspur

16 Hamburg SV

17 Manchester City

18 Rangers

19 West Ham United

20 Benfica
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:45 pm

s@int wrote:Top 10 rich list: 2006

1) Real Madrid: £202m

2) Barcelona: £179.1m

3) Juventus: £173.7m

4) Manchester United: £167.8m

5) AC Milan: £165m

6) Chelsea: £152.8m

7) Inter Milan: £142.8m

8) Bayern Munich: £141.5m

9) Arsenal: £133m

10) Liverpool: £121.7m

Source: Deloitte

Came as a shock to see the gooners above us well you learn something new everyday
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:46 pm

I suppose the new stadium and sponsors helped a lot.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:50 pm

Kharhaz wrote:I suppose the new stadium and sponsors helped a lot.

I don't think it includes the benefits of their new stadium Karhaz, 2006?  I would think Arsenal have moved well up the league since then. Probably includes their CL run to the final and selling Vieria. I don't think they bought many players for a couple of years before they moved either.
account deleted by request

Postby Ciggy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:51 pm

s@int wrote:Top 10 rich list: 2006

The World's richest clubs:

1 Real Madrid

2 Barcelona

3 Juventus

4 Manchester United

5 AC Milan

6 Chelsea

7 Inter Milan

8 Bayern Munich

9 Arsenal

10 Liverpool

11 Olympique Lyon

12 AS Roma

13 Newcastle United

14 Schalke 04

15 Tottenham Hotspur

16 Hamburg SV

17 Manchester City

18 Rangers

19 West Ham United

20 Benfica

That explains why Newcastle think they are a big club Image
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:56 pm

s@int wrote:

I don't think it includes the benefits of their new stadium Karhaz, 2006?  I would think Arsenal have moved well up the league since then. Probably includes their CL run to the final and selling Vieria. I don't think they bought many players for a couple of years before they moved either.

Good point, with the youngsters they have they didnt really need to spend over the odds for big names.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:59 pm

s@int wrote:

I think they're now top of the revenue list.
LFC2007

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:03 am

heimdall wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
jeff capes wrote:i know this may sound really cheesy and corny but i think we should give the last few coins to rafa to waste on another jerk kuyt....in rafa we trust.

we should sack rafa and make gerard the youngest player manager in history...lets face it he's responsible for any success we have had.

take him out and we are left with rafas team...useless clowns.

And with that you've expired any welcome you had on this forum. No redemption for you, son, after a statement like that. now...would you kindly fuck off. Clueless c*nt.

Go support Leeds or Chelsea or some bollox like that, or whoever you do, because you're not an LFC supporter.

Who the hell are you to tell someone who they may or may not support? Just because someone criticises Rafa doesn't make them a bad supporter it just means they have a different opinion to you.
Grow up and realise that that is the whole s0dding point with this forum, that we can have discussions and air different opinions!! :veryangry

I'll settle for 4th place this season and maybe a good run in the champions league, then a new manager coming in in the summer with please God another decent striker and defender, and the league that season or the next.

You can f*ck off 'n all, WUM! After the sh*t you've spouted, no true supporter of this club would even dare.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:46 pm

Liverpool owner Tom Hicks has accused Anfield manager Rafael Benitez of behaving petulantly in the recent dispute over transfer policy.

The American also fears the players were suffering from an inferiority complex in the recent defeat to Manchester United.

The comments, in an interview with Sports Illustrated, risk reviving the tension between Benitez and Hicks and his co-owner George Gillett.

Hicks revisited the row over transfers, which saw Benitez accuse the American duo of failing to understand the European transfer market.

"We wanted to see what we could do with the players we had already bought," said Hicks. "We just wanted to see if the team was going to gel. Then he (Benitez) went to a press conference and kind of pouted and answered in the same way 20 times: 'I'm focusing on my team.'

"The media made up everything from that point forward. They made up that we were going to fire him, that I told him to shut up, that there was a battle between Benitez and the Americans. It's really funny to watch."

Hicks was dismayed at the players' attitude against United at Anfield when a 1-0 defeat left Liverpool off the pace in the Premier League title race.

He said: "Our team played like they mentally didn't think they were good enough to win. They played tight."

This is on skysports now. This rumour does not seem to go away. I feel nervous for next year.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion