Potential january transfer activity - Who should we get in jan!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby killerp » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:04 am

January is fast approaching & rumours are starting to pop up on the net about who we are linked to, makes me think we need another thread to discuss upcoming transfers! 

We must sign someone to cover that vital defensive midfield spot left vacant by Lucas, I just don't see Spearing or Henderson being up to the task for the long haul. Gerrard has a big question mark over his future right now & even if he does come back, how long will his body hold out! i'd be making plans without Gerrard in the picture at all seeing that his comeback is being pushed further back every month. Even if we just loan a player in for 6 months that might be enough until Lucas comes back.

We have a goal scoring problem, creating lots of chances but not converting them. I would fancy another striker to have options in case of another Injury to a vital player. Can't imagine Suarez being out for 6 months!!

A lot may change in our fortunes by the time we reach January but that won't stop us speculating now will it!

Discuss...
killerp

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:33 am

Kenny: "We don't need anybody I don't think" re Lucas' position

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,16461_7348079,00.html
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:48 am

Nic Anelka for free will be a good stop gap signing till season end,
i dont feel good about a jan signing, 2 of the biggest jan signing hasnt worked out so far.
judas and Carroll.
Anelka was the one who got away, imagine if GH had signed him instead of Diouf.....
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby The Good Yank » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:56 am

Anelka has a move already set up to go join Montreal for their first season in MLS.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:33 am

I personally think we should only spend if a player comes available who fits our needs (Striker, DM) and who is reasonably priced. Usually January is the worst time to buy as both clubs and players are reluctant to do business mid season. That said, if there is someone European we like January would be a good time, by waiting till the summer we run the risk of paying more after the euros.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:39 am

A new stadium please.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:50 am

We should only sign a player if its someone we actually want for the long term.  I wouldnt suggest panic buying just because Lucas is injured or signing any player just to do a job for 6 months.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:51 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I personally think we should only spend if a player comes available who fits our needs (Striker, DM) and who is reasonably priced. Usually January is the worst time to buy as both clubs and players are reluctant to do business mid season. That said, if there is someone European we like January would be a good time, by waiting till the summer we run the risk of paying more after the euros.

We did buy Carroll in January for a sum that will be argued about for eternity  :down: ...................but then again we also got Suarez for a bargin  :idea  so mate it's fifty/fifty, good business is possible in January as long as we don't look desperate to sign the player & do a panic buy. We are not in European competitions so we don't care about cup tied players, also a bonus.

Have no doubts Chelsea will be going shopping, perhaps for a new manager too  :laugh:
killerp

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:03 am

jacdaniel wrote:We should only sign a player if its someone we actually want for the long term.  I wouldnt suggest panic buying just because Lucas is injured or signing any player just to do a job for 6 months.

What he said.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Johnny Boy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:43 am

What worries me is I felt and still do that we need a more creative type of midfielder with pace, something we don't really have in the middle.

Maybe they will see how we get on over the next few games before deciding.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:58 pm

I don't think we need anyone. Our team is full of new players, and just trowing more new players into the squad won't do any good. We should continue with the same squad until the end of the season and the summer transfer window when more players will be available and we'll have a better picture of what the main flaws of squad are.

But on the other hand, it really depends on how we do in our next 6 games, until the beginning of the Jan transfer window. If we see in those games that we desperately need a player to strengthen our squad, then we'll have to sign someone in order to try to save the reminder of the season. We could also loan somebody if needed.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:06 pm

I hae buying in January full stop as a lot of the time you end up panic buying snd paying ridiculously over the odds. You've seen the likes of Carroll, Torres, Robinho and Berbatov sold for £130 between them in the past few years during the January windo for example. It's ludicrous.

If Kenny doesn't deel we need a replacement for Lucas then that's fine. I trust his judgement. The defence looks pretty solid now so we're ok in that area. I would like another striker though because we're still a bit thin on the ground if Suarez gets an injury. We also need a proper right winger but I can see us leaving that until the summer.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:13 pm

To be honest, after the last few windows I just hope one of our own players doesn't get nabbed towards the deadline like Torres, Mascherano and Meireles were.

Wouldnt surprise me at all if City or Chelsea threw in a cheeky bid for Suarez.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Lukas Podolski
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:43 pm

maguskwt wrote:Lukas Podolski

amazing how him and klose have always done a million times better for germany than they ever have at club level. is podolski's contract up in the summer?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion