How do you rate this summer's transfer activity ?! - No plans to sign more big money players!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby simolonge » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:54 pm

I, dont and think are the operative words.

not "Not a chance", not "there is no way" and not "not on my nelly".

I dont think.
simolonge

Postby yolz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:56 am

The main reason Rafa is claiming that there won't be any more "big" signings is probably due to the balance books
As such, though it was expected, I still think we made a mistake in letting pennant go for free
We need to get at least a fair amount from off loading our Fringe players
We seem to be stuck with buying players for a higher than expected amount and selling them for far less their market value
Hopefully, we'll be more astute in getting the right price in both selling and buying players
The only True Reds in england...........
yolz

Postby Fauxy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:06 am

Negredo looks like a really good player, would love to see him playing for us, I just think that if we tried to buy him off Real they would be stubborn and say they would only sell him for Alonso.

Can't really see him going to Tottenham.
Fauxy

Postby Penguins » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:14 am

As long as Rafa thinks craft is better 100% of the time
nothing will change vs the small teams and with all the draws.

Kuyt is what's wrong with Rafa's reasoning.
No, I am not saying Kuyt is **** and needs to be sold.
He is a very good squad player and should start some matches and come off the bench when required.

The problem is that rafa sees him as some kind of dreamplayer, about the same importance as Gerrard, Torres, Xabi, Masch etc.
Kuyt is absolutely worthless in a game vs Stoke at home.
He does absolutely nothing and gets to start every damn game. He has about the same creativity as Carra.
Kuyt has 0 titles and I long for the day we get a creative player in his position. Then we might finally win things...

Once again it will be all up to Torres and Gerrard to create everything and just hope none gets injured because we have noone even close in either position.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:43 am

I honestly think the signing of Johnson will go a long way towards addressing the problems down the right mate (if indeed you are allowed to say there is a problem down there, lets take a chance and say that just for the sake of argument that there is). Equally, although as some have said the ex Pompey man isn't the best defender, he hasn't played with Kuyt in front of him before. Much as I have sympathy with those who run the risk of the Gattling gun by pointing out that Kuyt sometimes isn't Pele, few can deny that in a defensive sense he must be a right full backs dream partner.

As such, I can see Johnson and Kuyt proving to be a very potent down that side, to the extent where every other team in the Premiership will be casting envious glances down our right. It's all about balance in the end, as it normally is with football.

This is one of the reasons why it pointless people taking it so personally if a poster feels such and such a player is not pulling his wieght. Kuyt with Johnson behind/alonside/ahead of him will be fine, because the full back will be able to do the things which the Dutchman can't. Like I say, it's balance. Exactly the same with Alonso's mobility issue, put him with Masherano. Balance.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:51 am

bigmick wrote:I honestly think the signing of Johnson will go a long way towards addressing the problems down the right mate (if indeed you are allowed to say there is a problem down there, lets take a chance and say that just for the sake of argument that there is). Equally, although as some have said the ex Pompey man isn't the best defender, he hasn't played with Kuyt in front of him before. Much as I have sympathy with those who run the risk of the Gattling gun by pointing out that Kuyt sometimes isn't Pele, few can deny that in a defensive sense he must be a right full backs dream partner.

As such, I can see Johnson and Kuyt proving to be a very potent down that side, to the extent where every other team in the Premiership will be casting envious glances down our right. It's all about balance in the end, as it normally is with football.

This is one of the reasons why it pointless people taking it so personally if a poster feels such and such a player is not pulling his wieght. Kuyt with Johnson behind/alonside/ahead of him will be fine, because the full back will be able to do the things which the Dutchman can't. Like I say, it's balance. Exactly the same with Alonso's mobility issue, put him with Masherano. Balance.

would you then say that Carra and Agger is a most balanced partnership that we can currently muster up in the centre of defense?
JoeTerp

Postby bigmick » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:06 am

Joe if Agger is at or near his best I rate him highly and he'd partner Carragher for me, as he's the best footballer out of our three options. That said, i think he's not back to his very best form, and as such I'd play Skyrtel with Carragher. Skyrtel is no great shakes despite what some have claimed on here, but he is decent and notwithstanding his ballwatching, fairly reliable. Ultimately, centre halves muxt be able to defend, particularly if we are going to continue with our more expansive style. Given that, right now I'd sacrifice the footballing talent of Agger for the more rugged defending of Skyrtel.

I'm also not totally convinced that Skyrtel isn't going to turn into a very good ball carrying centre half. He runs with it well as he's shown in flashes. Ultimately however if we had the cash, I'd spend big on a top centre half because none of the three we have are commanding enough these days.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:40 am

bigmick wrote:Joe if Agger is at or near his best I rate him highly and he'd partner Carragher for me, as he's the best footballer out of our three options. That said, i think he's not back to his very best form, and as such I'd play Skyrtel with Carragher. Skyrtel is no great shakes despite what some have claimed on here, but he is decent and notwithstanding his ballwatching, fairly reliable. Ultimately, centre halves muxt be able to defend, particularly if we are going to continue with our more expansive style. Given that, right now I'd sacrifice the footballing talent of Agger for the more rugged defending of Skyrtel.

I'm also not totally convinced that Skyrtel isn't going to turn into a very good ball carrying centre half. He runs with it well as he's shown in flashes. Ultimately however if we had the cash, I'd spend big on a top centre half because none of the three we have are commanding enough these days.

lets say we did find this time machine traveled Hyypia from lets say '01 (just guessing, but I would have thought this would have been his best year, you can pick a better one for him if you like) and brought him in. Clearly would be first choice every time, no?

then for balance purposes, you would think Agger would make the best compliment then, right?

of course all hypotheticals are based on top form  :D  or at least top form that has been shown over a period of 4-5 games and not a fluke superhuman performance
JoeTerp

Postby bigmick » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:41 am

Joe I'm not being rude or anything mate but I don't know what you're on about  :D I can't even work out if you are agreeing with me or not, so I'll make the first move and say you are spot on in what you're saying  :) .
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:50 am

JoeTerp wrote:
bigmick wrote:Joe if Agger is at or near his best I rate him highly and he'd partner Carragher for me, as he's the best footballer out of our three options. That said, i think he's not back to his very best form, and as such I'd play Skyrtel with Carragher. Skyrtel is no great shakes despite what some have claimed on here, but he is decent and notwithstanding his ballwatching, fairly reliable. Ultimately, centre halves muxt be able to defend, particularly if we are going to continue with our more expansive style. Given that, right now I'd sacrifice the footballing talent of Agger for the more rugged defending of Skyrtel.

lets say we did find this time machine traveled Hyypia from lets say '01 (just guessing, but I would have thought this would have been his best year, you can pick a better one for him if you like) and brought him in. Clearly would be first choice every time, no?

then for balance purposes, you would think Agger would make the best compliment then, right?

of course all hypotheticals are based on top form  :D  or at least top form that has been shown over a period of 4-5 games and not a fluke superhuman performance

What the fu,ck are you talking about??
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:59 am

:laugh: That's kind of what I was saying.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:16 pm

bigmick wrote:I honestly think the signing of Johnson will go a long way towards addressing the problems down the right mate (if indeed you are allowed to say there is a problem down there, lets take a chance and say that just for the sake of argument that there is). Equally, although as some have said the ex Pompey man isn't the best defender, he hasn't played with Kuyt in front of him before. Much as I have sympathy with those who run the risk of the Gattling gun by pointing out that Kuyt sometimes isn't Pele, few can deny that in a defensive sense he must be a right full backs dream partner.

I defo agree with this post, I can see Johnson really coming good for us. So many times last season we saw Arbeloa overlapping Kuyt and not being able to take players on/get into danger zones.
Fauxy

Postby tubby » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:47 am

Is it possible that Rafa will sell Xabi and not bring in anyone to replace him?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:59 am

bavlondon wrote:Is it possible that Rafa will sell Xabi and not bring in anyone to replace him?

Anythings possible bav, but I think it's highly unlkely. Even if we plan on moving Gerrard back, we are light up top, while if Rafa is thinking about playing Lucas instead there is no cover.

No, if Alonso goes then we will be back in the market I think.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:39 pm

bigmick wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Is it possible that Rafa will sell Xabi and not bring in anyone to replace him?

Anythings possible bav, but I think it's highly unlkely. Even if we plan on moving Gerrard back, we are light up top, while if Rafa is thinking about playing Lucas instead there is no cover.

No, if Alonso goes then we will be back in the market I think.

I suspect there are players out there with Alonso's obvious qualities, its just that at the moment I am struggling to find a player that can be introduced ,and equate to the same artistry Xabi brings to the team .

However whilst I seem to be devoid of any real suitable candidates to replace him, Im sure Rafa has a viable option available ,and maybe in time he may even come to  surpass  Alonso,s achievements only time will tell
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion