How do you rate this summer's transfer activity ?! - No plans to sign more big money players!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sir Roger » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:14 pm

stapo1000 wrote:We still need cover for torres and one more winger

Robbie Keane?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:37 pm

Sir Roger wrote:

Robbie Keane?

and you're point is?
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Sir Roger » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:47 pm

Greavesie wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:

Robbie Keane?

and you're point is?

He could be cover for Torres?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby GOAT » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:11 pm

Sir Roger wrote:
Greavesie wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:

Robbie Keane?

and you're point is?

He could be cover for Torres?

Hilarious
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby loopyliverpool » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:18 pm

I like Big Mick's idea of Tuncay as cover for Torres and would also like to propose Downing... proven Premiership player... there was talk of Spurs putting a bid in for the pair in the region of £18m... I think that is reasonable value for two decent players who would add depth to the squad and the team.
loopyliverpool

Postby burjennio » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:56 pm

loopyliverpool wrote:I like Big Mick's idea of Tuncay as cover for Torres and would also like to propose Downing... proven Premiership player... there was talk of Spurs putting a bid in for the pair in the region of £18m... I think that is reasonable value for two decent players who would add depth to the squad and the team.

i dont think Tuncay has the phsyical attributes to cover Torres because I think that in that lone striker role you need a player strong, quick and athletic and Tuncay is certainly not a physical player. Of course we already have a player like that in Babel but unless he gets his head together and fullfils some of his potential it'll be another season of frustration for us all at the big Dutchman, unless he gets shipped out somewhere else.
burjennio

Postby crazyhorse » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:30 pm

burjennio wrote:
loopyliverpool wrote:I like Big Mick's idea of Tuncay as cover for Torres and would also like to propose Downing... proven Premiership player... there was talk of Spurs putting a bid in for the pair in the region of £18m... I think that is reasonable value for two decent players who would add depth to the squad and the team.

i dont think Tuncay has the phsyical attributes to cover Torres because I think that in that lone striker role you need a player strong, quick and athletic and Tuncay is certainly not a physical player. Of course we already have a player like that in Babel but unless he gets his head together and fullfils some of his potential it'll be another season of frustration for us all at the big Dutchman, unless he gets shipped out somewhere else.

Downing is out injured until Christmas, otherwise I would have been all for it. However in January he will be available at a cut price I would imagine. It all depends where we are then I suppose.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:17 pm

We definitely need a CB and a striker. Has anyone heard anything regarding Arby as things are suddenly so quiet....If Alonso stays, does this mean Arby is staying also?
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby ElNino9 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:27 pm

I really hope Johnson isn't our only big money signing, we need a striker and a winger. :(
ElNino9

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:38 pm

I don't think we're done in the transfer market yet this summer, but in answer to the thread opener I'm not overly enthusiastic about our business so far.

Pennant has gone on a free as expected and we got a few million for Leto which I suppose is alright.  The only major deal obviously is Johnson for an extortionate fee of 17 mil (which I think everyone can admit is over the odds).

I hope Johnson is as good as Mick and a few others think he is, I really do.  My gut feeling though is that we'll get poor value for money and while he'll look good against the also rans in the league, defensively he'll cost us in the big games.  Hopefully he'll prove me wrong though and I'll give the lad a chance to prove himself before writing him off.

The speculation over the futures of Mascherano and Alonso has for me put a real dampener on this transfer window and we still have not had either player come out and tell us they're staying.  I also think that it's essential that we bring in another striker because when Torres doesn't play we're really stuck for options, we have to do something about that in this window and it's been very quiet on that front so far.

For me the main positive is that our rivals seem to be struggling to strengthen too.  Valencia and Owen are no Ronaldo and Tevez, while Chelsea have not really strengthened and Arsenal have added Vermailen, a good centre half by most accounts but unproven in the Premiership.  City will be stronger, but they still haven't sorted their defence or the wide positions which were their weaknesses last season, their squad is completely unbalanced at the moment and I can't see them challenging for the title.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:42 pm

john craig wrote:I don't think we're done in the transfer market yet this summer, but in answer to the thread opener I'm not overly enthusiastic about our business so far.

Pennant has gone on a free as expected and we got a few million for Leto which I suppose is alright.  The only major deal obviously is Johnson for an extortionate fee of 17 mil (which I think everyone can admit is over the odds).

I hope Johnson is as good as Mick and a few others think he is, I really do.  My gut feeling though is that we'll get poor value for money and while he'll look good against the also rans in the league, defensively he'll cost us in the big games.  Hopefully he'll prove me wrong though and I'll give the lad a chance to prove himself before writing him off.

The speculation over the futures of Mascherano and Alonso has for me put a real dampener on this transfer window and we still have not had either player come out and tell us they're staying.  I also think that it's essential that we bring in another striker because when Torres doesn't play we're really stuck for options, we have to do something about that in this window and it's been very quiet on that front so far.

For me the main positive is that our rivals seem to be struggling to strengthen too.  Valencia and Owen are no Ronaldo and Tevez, while Chelsea have not really strengthened and Arsenal have added Vermailen, a good centre half by most accounts but unproven in the Premiership.  City will be stronger, but they still haven't sorted their defence or the wide positions which were their weaknesses last season, their squad is completely unbalanced at the moment and I can't see them challenging for the title.

Spot on Marty!! :)
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Number 9 wrote:
john craig wrote:I don't think we're done in the transfer market yet this summer, but in answer to the thread opener I'm not overly enthusiastic about our business so far.

Call me that again and I'll hunt you down! :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ElNino9 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:45 pm

Benitez said no more big money signings but that doesn't mean nobody else will come to the club. That could mean we will sign players of Riera's quality. ???
ElNino9

Postby ElNino9 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:31 pm

Real Madrid Receive €20million Offer For Negredo From Premier League Club - Report

An unidentified English club has submitted a bid for Alvaro Negredo, but the smart money is on Liverpool or Tottenham...

11 Jul 2009 20:03:39

Alvaro Negredo has started training with Real Madrid, but it remains unlikely that he will still be at the club next season.

Los Merengues have exercised their buy-back option to bring him back from Almeria, but it seems their intention is still to sell him on.

According to AS, the club has just received an offer of around €20million for Negredo from an unnamed English club. Liverpool are interested in the striker, and Madrid are trying to include him in the deal for Xabi Alonso.

Tottenham have also expressed an interest in the past.

However, Negredo has options in Spain too, with Valencia, Villarreal and Sevilla all considering making a move if and when they lose one of their strikers.

Negredo was also reported to be a target for Porto recently.

http://www.goal.com/en....premier
__

I hope its Liverpool, this guy is qualty.
ElNino9

Postby Number 9 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:33 pm

john craig wrote:
Number 9 wrote:

Call me that again and I'll hunt you down! :laugh:

Sorry Mister Pellow! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion