How do you rate this summer's transfer activity ?! - No plans to sign more big money players!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GYBS » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:56 pm

Adriano ?? talented as feck but totally fecked in the head and wouldnt be worth the hassle in a million years , you wouldnt know if he would turn up day in day out - he hated it so much being in milan imagine how bad he would feel in england .

Trezegeut is a decent shout but loves it at Juve and has repeatedly turned down overtures to leave .

Bojan would be a decent shout for a year on loan - its a shame Nihat has gone back to Turkey from Villereal as think he is very good .

Think carew would be a great addition - gives us something different .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:56 pm

He told everyone Keane was staying and he was sold the next day :D

Dont believe a word Rafa says, i think he can play the media well, if we are to do anymore big business lets see if he can do it on the quiet
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:58 pm

don't think you can judge a summer on a half summer,  who knows what will happen before 31 Aug.
JoeTerp

Postby GYBS » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:00 pm

Dundalk wrote:He told everyone Keane was staying and he was sold the next day :D

Dont believe a word Rafa says, i think he can play the media well, if we are to do anymore big business lets see if he can do it on the quiet

Keane is just one example mate and he prob was telling porkies or maybe he wasnt planning on selling but since he gave the interview an offer came in that was too good to refuse - the difference also is keane was never a key player where as both xabi and masher are key spine players .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:01 pm

I get a look at Adriano about every other week he is like 20-30 pounds overweight if not more, and that is with taking into account that he has always been a big striker, he misses training all the time, and while he does seem to score down there, I think he is content being the big f.uck off fish in the small local pond.
JoeTerp

Postby Greavesie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:01 pm

Even Torres was done on the quiet wasnt it? the first official news there was of it it was pretty much signed sealed and delivered wasnt it?

Pointless to discuss this at this moment in time. We have our first friendly on Wednesday
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Greavesie wrote:Even Torres was done on the quiet wasnt it? the first official news there was of it it was pretty much signed sealed and delivered wasnt it?

Pointless to discuss this at this moment in time. We have our first friendly on Wednesday

not exactly
JoeTerp

Postby GYBS » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:03 pm

JoeTerp wrote:I get a look at Adriano about every other week he is like 20-20 pounds overweight if not more, and that is with taking into account that he has always been a big striker, he misses training all the time, and while he does seem to score down there, I think he is content being the big f.uck off fish in the small local pond.

yep - wouldnt touch him with a barge pole despite being a superb striker on his day
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:05 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
Greavesie wrote:Even Torres was done on the quiet wasnt it? the first official news there was of it it was pretty much signed sealed and delivered wasnt it?

not exactly

I cant remember exactly but the first info I got on it was about the Atletico fans protesting
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:13 pm

Greavesie wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:

not exactly

I cant remember exactly but the first info I got on it was about the Atletico fans protesting

it was certainly on the shorter side, but it wasn't like the Robinho to City signing.
JoeTerp

Postby bigmick » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:33 pm

Well having advocated the signing of Glen Johnson for a couple of seasons, I'm obviously really pleased that we've got him. I really do think people are going to be hugely surprised by just how much difference he will make in attacking sense. The huge plus of having someone down the right who has pace, gets beyond the play, can beat a player etc will be obvious fairly quickly I think. As a result, we will look like a much better balanced team IMHO, and I don't agree with the overwhelming majority that we have hugely overpaid for Johnson, he will become a top player in my view.

I think it's fairly clear that if he does make as big a difference as I'm saying he will, and we can both keep the majority of players fit and prevent them from fecking off to other clubs, we are going to go close again to winning the title. That said, there's no question that in a couple of postions we are very light, most notably up front and at centre half. Up front isn't a problem as long as Torres and Gerrard stay fit, but if they don't and we miss either or perish the thought both for a reasonable period, it would be the end of our title challenge IMHO. Equally, centre half isn't a problem as long as we don't get any injuries and suspensions.

The most crucial thing though from here to the start of the season is what happens with Alonso and Masherano. Keep those two and avoid a toys out of the pram scenario, and as long as we stay sensible selection wise and have a reasonable run with injuries, we must have a huge chance of going very very close to winning the league. Our best eleven is IMHO the match of anyone elses, probably better now the Mancs have cashed in on Ronaldo and it really could be another great chance. Not quite a "golden opportunity", but a great chance nontheless.
Last edited by bigmick on Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:39 pm

Just as an add on to that, if we assume that we are going to keep both our central midfielders (takes a bit of a leap of faith I know but fingers crossed) then I'd still sign cover for the two slots. If money is extremely short I'd go for Tuncay to cover for Gerard/Torres. He isn't as good as either, but at least he could make a decent stab at filling in if either was injured. By contrast, if for example you move Kuyt up top, then you have to completely change the way you play (not a dig at Kuyt, deep breaths everyone, just pointing out that they are completely fdifferent styles of striker).

Tuncay could "do a Torres" to an extent, and he would also provide a natural fill in for Gerrard, although once again he obviously isn't as good.

For a centre half I would look at somebody cheap and experienced. Either of the lads at Pompey would fit the bill (Campbell or Distin) or Richard Dunne from Man City, Samba from Blackburn etc, that type of player.

Keep Alonso and Mash, sign a couple of fillers for those two slots and I'm happy as a sandboy.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:30 am

Calling it quits would leave us on the thin side for cover up top so we'll surely sign someone - even if they're in the £5m-£10m range rather than 'big, big money'. We don't want to be heading into a season of such opportunity relying on what we already have as cover - the difference was clear enough last season when a bit of extra cutting edge might well have seen us clear. That, for me, was the fundamental difference between us winning and the Manc's winning, the extra quality twinned with experience of the likes of Tevez, Ronaldo, Giggs and Scholes nudged them ahead - the number of times they scraped past opponents having played a mediocre game, either through moments of individual brilliance or moments that demanded experience was f'ucking frustrating. They had more than their fair share of luck too, but that squares with having more of those types of players; if you have the ability as well as the experience (in responding to the pressure)  those players have, then you inevitably end up enhancing the conditions you need to get the flukey deflection, the flick-on, the pressured mistake from the defender that gifts a close-range shot...i.e. the conditions for luck that - if taken - allow you to convert a seemingly guaranteed defeat or at best draw, into a three points. These scenarios - and I'm thinking Villa and Spurs especially - were monumentally important to their title aspirations last season. I simplify the point for clarity, but you could throw in a series of other similar results where quality and experience told when seemingly on the precipice of a gutting result that probably would have thrown the race wide open again.

You could make good argument from the fact that we challenged last season without any extra cover (Keane, ok, but he had little effect) adding in that the Manc's have lost Tevez and Ronaldo - two players who made crucial if relatively limited contributions last season. But, even though I feel we're now more or less even in team-terms, I still don't have quite enough confidence in Kuyt, Babel and Ngog to fill the boots of Gerrard and/or Torres should (god forbid) they sustain injuries. We obviously have to work on the assumption that the two might well get injured, and for that reason we ought to sign at least one more capable, consistent and ideally experienced player. Any other scenario would potentially leave us exposed to the highs and lows of Kuyt's game or worse still Babel's or Ngog's, and in truth that's too big a risk given the stakes. If these are the conditions we face in regards to funds, then I'd be in for Gudjohnsen as I think he ticks all of the boxes you could tick for the kind of money he ought to cost.

I agree with what Mick says re defensive cover, and think Johnson is a superb addition, if a touch expensive. Best right back in the country and will improve us no end.
LFC2007

Postby Madmax » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:57 am

Main addition still not sorted... Fecking we need someone creative man!!! Feck sakes!!!! Well atleast vorronin will be back.. Great cover for torres.. :D
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:56 am

Richard dunne is valued at 4 million by man city and he's a good defender , i'm sure he'll do a good job as cover here and as a replacement for hypia , still got about 4 years left in him
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion