Potential january transfer activity - Who should we get in jan!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:02 pm

I would have him back
I dont think others would though
Saying that, some would have Rafa back
I wouldnt
Thommo's perm

Postby SupitsJonF » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:04 pm

SupitsJonF

Postby JC_81 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Back then he was the best striker in world football imo.  His partnership with Gerrard was phenominal and no team could contain them when they were on song - the week we put four past Madrid and four past the scum at Old Trafford I will never forget.

I always remember the performance he put in against Reading in a league cup tie in his first season with us (his hat trick is included in this clip).  Reading, and Sonko in particular, kicked Torres black and blue that night and he kept getting up, didn't complain and responded by scoring 3 fantastic goals.  What happened to that player?!

He is a player who needs to feel appreciated to get the best out of him.  He won't get that at Chelsea and if he ever wants to regain his form, he needs to get out of there.

Would I take him back here?  Firstly I think it's unrealistic, Chelsea would still want more than he's currently worth.  20 mil is still a massive gamble based on how long he has been playing so badly.  Secondly I'd only accept him if he made a public apology for the manner in whuch he left and in particular the comments about Chelsea being a bigger club.

Realistically if we're going to invest big money on a new striker I'd be looking to someone younger and hungrier and without the baggage and media interest the Torres transfer would attract.

Who?  I like Cavani, but I'm suspicious about buying players from Serie A as the style is so different.  Zola apart I can't think of any real success stories from players moving to the Premiership from Italy.  Closer to home I like Moses at Wigan, but I suspect we'll get better value for money abroad.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:07 pm

john craig wrote:Zola apart I can't think of any real success stories from players moving to the Premiership from Italy.  Closer to home I like Moses at Wigan, but I suspect we'll get better value for money abroad.

Di Canio, Di Matteo, Vialli, Dennis Bergkamp (came from Inter to Arsenal), Thierry Henry (came from Juve to Arsenal).

I believe if the player is good enough then he is good enough to settle in any league. We really need a Fowler, or Owen or Torres type right now
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:24 pm

metalhead wrote:
john craig wrote:Zola apart I can't think of any real success stories from players moving to the Premiership from Italy.  Closer to home I like Moses at Wigan, but I suspect we'll get better value for money abroad.

Di Canio, Di Matteo, Vialli, Dennis Bergkamp (came from Inter to Arsenal), Thierry Henry (came from Juve to Arsenal).

I believe if the player is good enough then he is good enough to settle in any league. We really need a Fowler, or Owen or Torres type right now

Di Canio came via SPL with Celtic, not direct to Premiership so was less of a gamble.

Bergkamp and Henry were poor in Italy and were great pieces of business by Arsenal... which proves the point I think that Italy is a completely different style of football and Zola is still the only one imo that has been quality in both leagues.

Di Matteo was nothing special and Vialli was brilliant in his day and showed a few bits of genius at Chelsea, but he was past his best.

Actually I'd forgotten about Ravenelli... he did well for Boro coming direct from Juve.

I have to say metalhead, your comment that 'if the player is good enough then he is good enough to settle in any league' simply isn't true mate.  Forlan?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:30 pm

You know, if Forlan was given more chances he would have been brilliant with the Mancs, I mean he did score goals, he was inconsistant, but he did have some games you would actually say ''now that's quality'', plus it also depends on the system the team plays. Look at Dzeko, he was appalling the first 6 month with Man City and now he actually looks like a player. You have players like Torres, Suarez, Drogba, Essien,   Augero and many more coming in and being an instant hit.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:40 pm

metalhead wrote:You know, if Forlan was given more chances he would have been brilliant with the Mancs, I mean he did score goals, he was inconsistant, but he did have some games you would actually say ''now that's quality'', plus it also depends on the system the team plays. Look at Dzeko, he was appalling the first 6 month with Man City and now he actually looks like a player. You have players like Torres, Suarez, Drogba, Essien,   Augero and many more coming in and being an instant hit.

Forlan played 63 league games for United and scored 10 goals.  I'd say that's plenty of chances :laugh:

It just didn't work for him there for whatever reason.  I'm sure the team's system and changing continents at that age contributed.  Maybe he was just a player that was a late bloomer.  Maybe it was the style of football in England.  We'll never know, but fact is he is a quality player who was given plenty of opportunities to play and just couldn't settle.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:42 pm

He didnt score for the first 30 odd games i think then scored 10 in about 20 odd .
Benny The Noon

Postby metalhead » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:42 pm

Holy Sh!t I remembered he scored more :D , maybe in Europe anyways.

out of those 10 goals he scored 2 against Liverpool :angry:
Last edited by metalhead on Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:43 pm

metalhead wrote:Holy Sh!t I remembered he scored more :D , maybe in Europe anyways.

out of those 10 goals he scored 2 against Liverpool :angry:

Yeah I remember those two goals well... unfortunately!!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Jerzy Dudek at his best

:(

Anyways, as I was saying we should be looking for a Fowler or Owen type in the transfer market this Jan, someone who could help Suarez out and convert chances into goals
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:53 pm

metalhead wrote:Jerzy Dudek at his best

:(

Anyways, as I was saying we should be looking for a Fowler or Owen type in the transfer market this Jan, someone who could help Suarez out and convert chances into goals

Yeah we could do with another goal scorer.  January might be interesting ...again!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:04 am

how about david beckham? he would still be a very good addition as a right winger...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:51 am

maguskwt wrote:how about david beckham? he would still be a very good addition as a right winger...

ummmmm...Go get your coat, mate....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby lakes10 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:19 pm

"Liverpool are the latest club to enter the race to sign Cliftonville striker Rory Donnelly.

Cliftonville chairman Gerard Lawlor told BBC Sport NI that he had been contacted by Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish about Donnelly on Sunday.
"

dont know much about him.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion