POST-MATCH DISCUSSION THREAD - LIVERPOOL 2 - FULHAM 0 (11/10/07)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:45 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:Leon, Crouch won the penalty hit the bar and held the ball up well, it was against a team intent of stopping us playing as well so i dont think he played badly at all. Also Voronin while not scoring his touch and awareness AT THIS MOMENT AND TIME is better than Kuyt's, Dirks been off the boil for a while and Rafa has persisted like he did with Crouch in his first season but it has been to the detriment of the team.

Just being a pendantic fuc.ker mate.

Fair enough, but whats your opinion ?

About Kuyt, Crouch or Voronin who should play etc ?

My opinion is that Crouch Voronin and Kuyt are all at the same level, decent. Rotating these fellas is a no brainer.

Torres is a different class, seriously different class, and as such can play with any of them anytime. Rotating him is not necessary, but fine against a lesser side, with him banched if it needs changing. I dont agree with starting him every game he is fit however, he doesnt need the same kind of game time as the others do to find their form.

Its the job of Crouch, Kuyt and Voronin to work their socks off and make as much of their limited time on the field scoring goals or at least assist in the win/result.

Partnerships - no problem, each can play with another with the same level of performance, no partnership for me is better than another.

Babel in the mix (eventually) and we have a decent forward line. With Benny noon (see David Pleat) Gerrard and hopefully some more chipping in it looks decent in terms of scoring.

I see next season Babel and Torres forming a partnership that could be superb.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:47 pm

how about lucas? he gonna be happy on the fringes this season? and u lot think he'll soon be as important a player as other first name on the sheeters?

the guys gonna be good
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:51 pm

dawson99 wrote:how about lucas? he gonna be happy on the fringes this season? and u lot think he'll soon be as important a player as other first name on the sheeters?

the guys gonna be good

He will have to be happy to be on the fringe, but Momo/Lucas look a ready made replacement for Mascherano/Gerrard.

Add Alonso to it and its a decent line up.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:56 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Effes wrote:If Blackburn can manage a draw today, it'll make our win all the more tastey.

3 draws today will be joyous:

Portsmouth V Man City
Chelsea V Everton
United V Blackburn Rovers

2 out of 3 aint bad
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby imouthep » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:19 pm

Greetings i am a newbie as many can see. I have been a liverpool fan all my life and have decided to take the plunge and finally voice some of my opinions. I watched the game yesterday and fealt that generally we played well. I have issues about the width but the chances we created were incouraging. I was happy to see crouch start as i feel he offers many options with our team but i have a few questions for everyone (they may be mundane but i'm learning)

Does anyone think that kuyt and voronin are rather the same
player?

good passers excellent work rates but not enough on the goal front

maybe we don't require the both of them if we factor in the fact that we have babel as an option.

And what on earth ahs happened to JAR he hsa deteriorated so badly and I can't for the life of me understand why. He has been such a good servant to te club and would just hate to see him end his career(rumour mill) with us on such a low.
Last edited by imouthep on Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imouthep

Postby bigmick » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:42 pm

imouthep wrote:Greetings i am a newbie as many can see. I have been a liverpool fan all my life and have decided to take the plunge and finally voice some of my opinions. I watched the game yesterday and fealt that generally we played well. I have issues about the width but the chances we created were incouraging. I was happy to see crouch start as i feel he offers many options with our team but i have a few questions for everyone (they may be mundane but i'm learning)

Does anyone think that kuyt and voronin are rather the same
player?

good passers excellent work rates but not enough on the goal front

maybe we don't require the both of them if we factor in the fact that we have babel as an option.

And what on earth ahs happened to JAR he hsa deteriorated so badly and I can't for the life of me understand why. He has been such a good servant to te club and would just hate to see him end his career(rumour mill) with us on such a low.

It's a giood first post mate and you are on the money about Voronin and Kuyt being a bit samey. That said, I think probably Kuyt has significantly more to offer than we are seeing at the moment so it might not be so bad should he ever find some form.

As for your point on Riise, there's a fella on here called Murphy who has been going on about Riise being shiiiite (his word) for ages. I don't always agree with him, and I didn't on this particular point at the time but there is no doubt the Norwegian has gone backwards as a footballer. He's probably a better left-back than left-mid, but in either case is probably not up to being a regular ina  team with serious aspirations. This despite his good engine, blockbusting shot and long throw, though obviously the ginger hair doesn't help. Just kidding on the last bit     :;):
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:51 pm

It will be a all new team over the next few days, Rafa said that some of or team look tired during the game as they played the game before.

wow we must look at our training, if or players can not play 2 games on the trot without being tierd then something wrong. could it be that some are playing with their wage packet still in their pockets, The weight of it must be tiring. :D
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:04 pm

Positives, and negatives in the game against Fulham. The positives weight more, because at the end we got what matters, the 3 points.

Riise, who I've defended a lot in the past, had a poor game. Several members of the forum commented that they missed Kewell in the bench, so did I. In a game in which constant movement was important Riise was stick to the white line where he was pretty average and avoided Fabio Aurelio overlapping movements.

I'll insist again, it's great news to see Fabio Aurelio back for us, we still have to see the best of this man who IMHO is better than any of their team mates in Right or left backs.

Benayoun cut to the middle often, he did a good game and left a highway in the right that Arbeloa used well. Arbeloa did a good game. Maybe he shouldn't have gone overlapping so repeatedly, those forward runs have to have a bit of surprise factor, otherwise they are not as effective. But good game of Arbeloa anyway, as he hadn't troubles in his zone neither.

Gerrard scored the penalty, but didn't play at his best yesterday, lost some balls trying a difficult one through the middle that caused a couple of counters and all the team retreating. He has the quality, the strenght and everything, sometimes he just needs a bit more of patience against weak sides like this. I love Gerrard against  medium and top teams, and the few times I dislike him is in games like this.

Mascherano failed a couple of passes but that will be in the record of any midfielder, he accomplished the defensive tasks pretty well.

The CB were spot on in their work, Hyypia was supported by the Kop, and besides his defensive job, he did go forward with some danger in set pieces situations. He still manages to touch many balls in that situations and that's an asset for the team.

Crouch and Voronin didn't play badly. Crouch showed why is useful against this oppositions and did a hell of a job, plus provoked the penalty.

The buts in our play are that we were too slow to initiate the plays, we always gave time to Fulham to seem solid and be in their place. In this games against teams very deep you have to move the ball fast, and changing sides. We were slow to get to the last third of the pitch and once there we hurried too much. It's true though that the game was controlled and Fulham never seemed dangerous, but in games like this we cannot afford to lose more points, like against Birmingham.

That way I feared for the victory, but fortunately enough Torres was quick and accurate in that finnish, he earned the money there.

Now, it's time to forget about the standings table, use this two last victories as platform to get confidence, and think just in winning the next match.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:10 pm

My observations frm yesterday are pretty obvious really, until Torres came on the game had 0-0 written all over it, despite our domination. Infact at times in the first half I thought we'd turned into Arsenal, i.e. trying to walk the ball into the net instead of going more direct if the ball was on.

I thought Voronin had another good game and Crouch was poor (but still miles better than Kuyt) and Torres just proves how much we miss him. I mean until he came on, evrything we did was infront of the defence. Torres gave us the option of going in behind the defence.

During the game i thought some players just tried to do to much on there own where a simple pass n move would have had better results. Its fairly clear to me we can still make a challenge if our most important player plays in the majority of the rest of the games but if Torres gets another injury we're fecked.

I dont like relying on one player but that is how it is for the time being. Gerrard has played himself back into form but is still only at 75% of his capabilities imo.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. A nice rest now and then the Toon. Watched them yesterday and they're garbage, especially at the back. We should have a field day.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:07 pm

I wouldn't class yesterday as a great performance, it was by no means convincing, especially in the first half. The first half displayed our inability to break teams down who sit deep.

The tempo of our play was too slow, and switching play took far too long, allowing Fulham to read the pattern of our game with ease.

In the second half, Voronin had a couple of chances, but they weren't convincing chances.

The game then opened up as we became more urgent, Fulham tired, and we brought on Babel and then Torres to exploit this.

This game could quite easily have stagnated into a draw, were it not for Fulham tiring co-inciding with Babel and Torres' introduction.

Torres' class is a given, he transforms our attack.

Babel apppears to be more confident on the ball, although his decision making and final delivery could be better.

The most pleasing aspect of our game was the urgency with which we set about Fulham towards the end.

Relief is the overwhelming emotion I felt afterwards.
LFC2007

Postby Espionage » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:53 pm

s@int wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:Also I notice none of the "Crouch has got to start" crew are giving it the bifters after an average performance from him.

I think thats mainly because Kuyt hasn't been playing and Torres is back mate. Nothing to do with an average performance from Crouch who hit the bar and won a penalty.

lmao  :D

Crouch has been doing really well and I hope that he gets more of a look in after a run of good games..
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby imouthep » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:58 pm

The left side of midfield is beginning to be a worry for liverpool.Marcus came on and IMHO did a good job but he is still very young to the premiership and needs time. I love his bulldozer like play and i beleive things like composure and good decision making will come into his game with time (I mean he has the best classmates in the world). But with manure coming December  and that all too crucial christmas period looming, we need to be in a position to bombard oppenents from every possible angle. That means getting the fullbacks overlapping and the wide players terrorizing the wings (especially seeing manure are the most vulnerable down that favourite neville avenue).

But we need the right man down that wing its worrying that we only have Kewell as the natural player ther and he is soooo prone to injury.

Could Riise cause top teams problems? I have never rated his attacking ability at LM and the same goes for Fabio I beleive at LB they work. Any suggsetions on who to bring in jan window? Can we win the league if we don't?
imouthep

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:35 am

imouthep wrote:The left side of midfield is beginning to be a worry for liverpool.Marcus came on and IMHO did a good job but he is still very young to the premiership and needs time. I love his bulldozer like play and i beleive things like composure and good decision making will come into his game with time (I mean he has the best classmates in the world). But with manure coming December  and that all too crucial christmas period looming, we need to be in a position to bombard oppenents from every possible angle. That means getting the fullbacks overlapping and the wide players terrorizing the wings (especially seeing manure are the most vulnerable down that favourite neville avenue).

But we need the right man down that wing its worrying that we only have Kewell as the natural player ther and he is soooo prone to injury.

Could Riise cause top teams problems? I have never rated his attacking ability at LM and the same goes for Fabio I beleive at LB they work. Any suggsetions on who to bring in jan window? Can we win the league if we don't?

I am still of the opinion that Rafa doesn't like to play 2 attacking wingers, but prefers a left or right midfielder to go along with a more attacking winger. So if he plays Pennant/Benayoun he is likely to go with Riise on the left rather than with Kewell. Conversely if he plays Kewell/Babel on the left, he is more than likely going to play Gerrard on the right. Against the mancs I hope he plays Kewell and Gerrard on the wings with Alonso and Mascher central.

Mancini would be a good bet, he can play either wing and scores goals. I still would prefer a creative striker to any winger.
account deleted by request

Postby imouthep » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:44 am

you do't think playing riise at LM has been more about neccessity than it has been about tactics. Kewell has only recently returned from injury babel is still being blooded in the prem but even still not natural left sided. I beleive if we had a choice we would play two attcking wingers.
imouthep

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:49 am

I'd like to see Kewell on the left and Babel on the right, and I think that's a combination that's coming sooner rather than later.
ivor_the_injun

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion