Wigan Vs Liverpool (Premier League) 29/09 - Pre Match Discussion Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Raoul » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:40 pm

Right, great game at Reading, nice to see some goals, but playtime is over and it is time for the real work to begin again.

Is Pennant still out with a niggle?  If so, this'll be the team we'll see I think:

Reina

Finnan        Carra         Hyypia       Riise

Benayoun    Gerrard      Masch        Babel

Torres       Kuyt

It makes sense to rest Arbeloa, as Hobbs still hasn't been blooded as our new backup CB, and Aurelio to come on as a second half substitute for Riise or Babel.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:41 pm

I'm not too bothered who plays other than Torres, we know most of the usual names will be in with one or two rotations but the key player is Torres and I ask how mad Rafa is if he drops a player on form
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:44 pm

Owzat wrote:I'm not too bothered who plays other than Torres

i know he played superbly last night but he'll need some help surely? :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:46 pm

JJB on Saturday and a return to league action following a decent performance in the Carling Cup at Reading. But its back to business at the weekend and despite two dour encounters of late in the Premiership producing some pessimism (by and large most of it justified) amongst the masses. Surely its a case of a return to winning ways against a drab Wigan side bereft of their primary point of attack in Emile Heskey.

Alonso and Agger remain sidelined along with the enigmatic Kewell, who appears to have disappeared from the face of the earth, despite claims of a late September return to action. Who knows, the mercurial Aussie may yet surprise us all with an appearance...although i dont suspect for one minute anybody is holding their breath for such a revelation to materialise just yet. Certainly a player of his ilk (fully functioning) would be a refreshing inclusion to the Liverpool attack at the moment however you call it.

Wigan themselves are not the same side under the stewardship of Hutchinson, not that they ever really posed a threat whilst Paul Jewell was at the helm. But you have to realisically consider this game as nothing less than a Liverpool victory, and thus a reaffirmation of some confidence back into a side seemingly devoid of creative penetration in the last two League matches. As for the starting personnel, im not even going to attempt a guess...save to say no more than the obvious, in his current form Fernando Torres, would almost guarantee a psychological edge here without even kicking a ball - if of course selected.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Owzat » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:48 pm

stmichael wrote:
Owzat wrote:I'm not too bothered who plays other than Torres

i know he played superbly last night but he'll need some help surely? :D

nah

Reading Reserves 2-3 Torres
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:48 pm

if torres doesnt play here i seriously think i might cry. id play yossi as well as he deserves it after last night. we basically need to go straight for the jugular from the get go and not let up.

only change id make to Raols team is to put Arbeloa in as hes been outstanding i reckon this season. maybe put risse in for babel and let babel replace kuyt if needed

Reina

Finnan        Carra         Hyypia       Arbeloa

Benayoun    Gerrard      Masch        Risse

Torres       Kuyt
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:52 pm

Think rafa will deffo make some changes given that we have a Cl match with marseille in the week.

Reina
   Arbeloa   Carra    Hyppia   Riise
   Tarzan  Gerrard    Mash   Benayoun
               Torres
                           Kuyt
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:55 pm

well surely all the wigan manager has to do is tell the press they will play deep and rafa will leave torres on the bench as we all know he can't play in games like that.

wow 22 million for a striker with such limitations

(sarcasm)
112-1077774096

Postby Owzat » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:55 pm

If Pennant is banned for the CL match then surely Pennant should start against Wigan? I'd like to have seen Carra rested last night since he has only just come back from a rib injury and is not a young player. I'd be tempted to leave out Kuyt as he's not a great scorer away from home and I'd start him against Marseille (at home) Play Voronin and Torres together up front with giraffe on the bench. I think one relatively safe bet is one or two 'big names' will not even make the trip
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:55 pm

dawson99 wrote:if torres doesnt play here i seriously think i might cry. id play yossi as well as he deserves it after last night. we basically need to go straight for the jugular from the get go and not let up.

only change id make to Raols team is to put Arbeloa in as hes been outstanding i reckon this season. maybe put risse in for babel and let babel replace kuyt if needed

Reina

Torres       Kuyt

I would be happy with that team Dawson, I think this will be an interesting game as everyone will be on "Torres watch" and may leave a few gaps for the likes of Gerrard and Kuyt.
account deleted by request

Postby Owzat » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:58 pm

peewee wrote:well surely all the wigan manager has to do is tell the press they will play deep and rafa will leave torres on the bench as we all know he can't play in games like that.

wow 22 million for a striker with such limitations

(sarcasm)

I am 99% confident that Torres cost more than the most expensive XI Reading players combined.
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:00 pm

s@int wrote:
dawson99 wrote:if torres doesnt play here i seriously think i might cry. id play yossi as well as he deserves it after last night. we basically need to go straight for the jugular from the get go and not let up.

Reina

Torres       Kuyt

I would be happy with that team Dawson, I think this will be an interesting game as everyone will be on "Torres watch" and may leave a few gaps for the likes of Gerrard and Kuyt.

yup same for me...

maybe later in the game... penant to come on for benayoun if benayoun is slowing down so that penant can cause some problems with his trickiness and pace...

also I would now like to start seeing aurelio again so aurelio to replace arbeloa late on...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:03 pm

they're poor. i mean last season we were 4-0 up down there at half time with bellamy and gerrard running riot. since then we've replaced bellamy with torres and they've replaced de zeeuw with titus bramble.

you do the maths.  :D
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mattylfc » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:04 pm

Below is a list of people who, for me, have to start in this particular game.  Where i have listed more than one player, it just means i am happy for either to play that position:

Reina

Finnan       JC        Agger       Arbeloa

Pennant/    Masch    Gerrard     Riise
Benayoun

Torres      Kuyt/Crouch/Voronin

I would personally opt for Benayoun on the right as Pennant hasnt always been great on the road, generally better at anfield.  Up top, Torres must play. I would personally stick with Crouch but really dont mind who partners Torres to be honest.  I would start Riise on the left and bring Babel on later if/when required.

A must win game and win, we will do!
mattylfc

Postby steviegs lovechild » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:11 pm

they're poor. i mean last season we were 4-0 up down there at half time with bellamy and gerrard running riot. since then we've replaced bellamy with torres and they've replaced de zeeuw with titus bramble.

you do the maths.   

:wwww so funny
steviegs lovechild

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion