POST-MATCH DISCUSSION THREAD - LIVERPOOL 2 - FULHAM 0 (11/10/07)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:58 am

Disappointing show in front of goal UNTIL Torres came on, bit surprised sicknote wasn't involved and the bench was a little lacking in attacking options in my view - Torres aside. Another game of missed chances, salvaged late on in this instance. I can't see Crouch and Voronin working together, it was the same side that won 8-0, but Crouch was fortunate with his first and Voronin didn't score. It took a hat-trick from Benayoun and brace from Babel, Voronin and Crouch contributed, but I'm unconvinced by that pairing. Good to not see Kuyt reinstated, how many weeks until Jan 1st?

We were lucky with the penalty, foul outside and a stupid place to concede since Crouch was unlikely to outpace the TWO defenders and score. I had to laugh at Dirty Sanchez who focused entirely on the Liverpool goals/decisions post match, he's writing another letter to Hackett and if he's going to whinge about decisions then he's obviously lost it. Shouldn't foul close to the area, I said of the Russia penalty that you run the risk of conceding a penalty if you foul near the box. Without replays you rely on human eye and judgement calls

Are we still in the title race? Of course we are, whether we can go on a winning run is another question. Our longest winning run is 11 games, we need more winning runs of 7+ games and to start winning more often at Anfield. Given our hardest home game is now the mancs and then someone like Newcastle or a take your pick from the rest then we should only drop a few more home points. The away run in the latter part of the season is what worries me, we need to get top well before then to be in with a realistic shout

If Arsenal win today they will match our unbeaten 12 game start back in 2002/3 which went so badly wrong, we ended fifth and went out of the Champions League embarrassingly. We also thumped Spartak Moscow at home (5-0) so the similarities of being unbeaten after 12 games and struggling in the Champions League while heading towards a (potential) League Cup triumph is worryingly present. Arsenal have to play three away games to have played as many away as home, hopefully Reading can knock them off their high horse and leave it a managable gap. They have three away games in the Premiership in a row - villa, Newcastle and Boro. All three could take points off the goners, Boro would need to up their game to do so.

Arsenal Premiership run (last season's results)

Reading (a) W4-0
Wigan (h) W2-1
Villa (a) W1-0
Newcastle (a) D0-0
Boro (a) D1-1
Chelsea (h) D1-1
Tottenham (h) W3-0
Portsmouth (a) D0-0
Everton (a) L0-1
West Ham (h) L0-1

No easy games there , only 2 convincing results that weren't within 1 goal either way last season. And those 10 games last season produced P10 W4 D4 L2 F12 A5 PTS 14 - I think we'd all settle for anything approaching 'same again' (16 points dropped) even if there are a few they win this time around and lose others
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mkingdom » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:05 pm

A win is a win, and after Blackburn and Portsmouth, it was good to kill off what is a lesser side.

Torres looks to be the real deal for sure, and the ability to score a goal like that from nothing is just what we need.

We are not flowing yet this season, but the facts are that we are still in title race (where we at this stage last year?), and we are two goals away from being top of the league.  Two 1-0 wins against Blackburn and Portsmouth would have given us four more points, and we'd be top.

There is a long way to go.  Do I think we WILL win the title, probably not, do I think we could...yes, of course we could.

And it has been a while since that has been the case.

We need consistency now.....five or six wins on the bounce and the season will look very different indeed.

Our play is getting better, players are coming back from injury, and we are in the title race and far from out of the CL. 

Bring it on  :buttrock
mkingdom

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:44 pm

Decent Result, the right result and a decent performance. Nothing more but it didnt have to be.

I see we will have the same plumbs on here though talking absolute rubbish. - Apparently Voronin has played well the last few games and showed hy he should get in insted of Kuyt. But not scored a goal, which is the reason why Dirk was lambasted on here. some people need to get a clue as Stu would say.

Also I notice none of the "Crouch has got to start" crew are giving it the bifters after an average performance from him.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:50 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Also I notice none of the "Crouch has got to start" crew are giving it the bifters after an average performance from him.

I think thats mainly because Kuyt hasn't been playing and Torres is back mate. Nothing to do with an average performance from Crouch who hit the bar and won a penalty.
account deleted by request

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:26 pm

I've only been able to watch a MOTD style highlights package myself but the chances we create in the second half before the Torres goal were excellent.  Benayoun had a great effort on goal (the chip) and carved open a chance for Voronin with some great footwork.  I also liked the interchange between Crouch and Voronin that led to a good shot from the latter.  Aurelio had a lovely free kick beaten away by Niemi and I liked the powerful, direct running from Babel--and a great through ball to Crouch which led to the penalty.

But, as Scott and Saint have said, that goal from Torres really was special.  Right up there with his Chelsea goal for me in terms of technique and guile.  He knew exactly what he wanted to do and did it: calmly, with deftness and subtlety and with his wrong foot!  Sublime stuff.

We are finally starting to look like an attacking force again.  Long may it continue! :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Effes » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:44 pm

Before the 1st goal I just didn't think it was gonna happen.
Thought it was gonna be another Birmingham.
I was thinking to myself if teams can shut up shop too easily when they come to Anfield.

If Blackburn can manage a draw today, it'll make our win all the more tastey.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:48 pm

Effes wrote:If Blackburn can manage a draw today, it'll make our win all the more tastey.

3 draws today will be joyous:

Portsmouth V Man City
Chelsea V Everton
United V Blackburn Rovers
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby essexpoolfan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:31 pm

Anyone got a link to the goals from this game please?
essexpoolfan

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:42 pm

A decent result against a side that we all knew would be well disciplined and difficult to play against.
We created plenty of chances and although i could see signs of frustration creeping in before the goal, Torres sorted that with a goal from virtually nothing.
I thought Crouch and Voronin played pretty well to be honest, Benayoun is great on the ball and threads fantastic balls in behind the defence. It makes me wonder a bit more about what Stu was saying...playing Benayoun behind Torres, as Yossi doesnt stick to the wing and that stops us stretching the opposition at times.

Leon, Crouch won the penalty hit the bar and held the ball up well, it was against a team intent of stopping us playing as well so i dont think he played badly at all. Also Voronin while not scoring his touch and awareness AT THIS MOMENT AND TIME is better than Kuyt's, Dirks been off the boil for a while and Rafa has persisted like he did with Crouch in his first season but it has been to the detriment of the team.
I like Kuyt and think he is a far better player than his current form. He is also determined and i think he will come back, but for now i would have Crouch and Torres or try Torres and Benayoun.

All in all though we should be happy with the game and the result. We won and have closed the gap, we created plenty of chances and Torres is on the way back.
We are hanging on in there and i am happy with our position. Lurking in the background suits me more than leading at this point. Lets have the press w@nking over united and Arsenal..we can plod along and see what happens come the end of the season  :;):

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:50 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Leon, Crouch won the penalty hit the bar and held the ball up well, it was against a team intent of stopping us playing as well so i dont think he played badly at all. Also Voronin while not scoring his touch and awareness AT THIS MOMENT AND TIME is better than Kuyt's, Dirks been off the boil for a while and Rafa has persisted like he did with Crouch in his first season but it has been to the detriment of the team.

Just being a pendantic fuc.ker mate.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:55 pm

i think weve seen why torres has to start every game if hes fit. the guy is just different class. good all round performance, should have had better finishing (heard that before) but im happy with 3 points, no injuries and the team kept on trying.

some people have said that rafa is a little slow with his subs, and i gotta agreee, torres should have really come on earlier but it all worked out in the end
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:59 pm

dawson99 wrote:i think weve seen why torres has to start every game if hes fit. the guy is just different class. good all round performance, should have had better finishing (heard that before) but im happy with 3 points, no injuries and the team kept on trying.

some people have said that rafa is a little slow with his subs, and i gotta agreee, torres should have really come on earlier but it all worked out in the end

Gotto diagree with both points.

1) Torres has shown that he can score from the bench, and has the right attitude, so rather than play him every game he is fit, I would save him the games we might not need to risk him getting a kicking from yard dog journeymen and see of the others can get hte goals.

2) Yesterday, if we had got the goal that looked inevitable and Rafa had not needed to risk/test Torres that would have been better than having to put him on so soon after injury. As he is not in hte Spain squad, no run out yesterday would have meant he culd have rested 100%. asi it was by the way I dont think he was over stretched.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:09 pm

well we're welcome to different points of view. i can see both sides of the arguament.. but also, as torres is not in the spain squad, he needed a runout to keep his form up. and he didnt look injured at all to me. why spend £20 mill for a super sub?

i know torres can score off the bench,, but id rather we scored in the first 10, not the last, only so much my nerves can take.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:16 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:Leon, Crouch won the penalty hit the bar and held the ball up well, it was against a team intent of stopping us playing as well so i dont think he played badly at all. Also Voronin while not scoring his touch and awareness AT THIS MOMENT AND TIME is better than Kuyt's, Dirks been off the boil for a while and Rafa has persisted like he did with Crouch in his first season but it has been to the detriment of the team.

Just being a pendantic fuc.ker mate.

Fair enough, but whats your opinion ?

About Kuyt, Crouch or Voronin who should play etc ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:19 pm

dawson99 wrote:well we're welcome to different points of view. i can see both sides of the arguament.. but also, as torres is not in the spain squad, he needed a runout to keep his form up. and he didnt look injured at all to me. why spend £20 mill for a super sub?

i know torres can score off the bench,, but id rather we scored in the first 10, not the last, only so much my nerves can take.

I agree with Leon regarding Torres yesterday. Rafa left it as long as he could of but then needed to gamble with him nearer the end.
If he was fit...or fitter he would of come on earlier.
If we had scored earlier we might not have seen him at all on the pitch yesterday.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion