Peter Crouch general discussion thread - Portsmouth confirm personal terms agreed

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:00 pm

s@int wrote:
metalhead wrote:
s@int wrote:
stmichael wrote:
Sabre wrote:Considered we paid 7M, selling for 10M with only one remaining year of contract can be considered a good piece of business.

especially considering owen went for less.

Owen was on top wages, I presume Crouch is on much less, and therefore easier to sell. I still think we made a mistake selling Owen, we should have gambled (£8million)kept him for the last year of his contract and hoped he stayed at the end of it. It would probably have worked out cheaper in the long run with the benefit of hindsight.

I don't know, we may not have won the CL if Owen stayed  :D

You may be right mate, I presume we wouldn't have been able to afford Garcia AND Alonso but for Owen going. I think he would have scored more goals than Baros though  :D

Maybe we should have sold Baros then for 15m (well he was top scorer of the euro back then) to Barcelona, kept Owen, got Alonso and Garcia from Baros' money and won the F.A cup and the Champions League :D

but then again, we wouldn't have got Torres if Owen stayed  :p
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:12 pm

Reasonably happy with the reported fee for Crouchie. The only let down really being the presence of COCO's now trademark sizeable add-ons for the deal. £11 million for a player in the last 12 months of his contract is not to be sniffed at even if we're only getting £8 million up front.

It could be a good move for Crouch looking at the way Rafa has utilised him over the past 12 months. Regular footy at a team that is improving each year and has got european football next season.

Good luck to the big guy. He might keep his feet a bit warmer on the south coast when they stick out of the bed!!  :D
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:22 pm

Good luck Crouch. Thanks for everything!
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:37 pm

Yepp good luck to him, I think he should have been used more but at the end of the day he is, and always will be, a very average striker, should do well for Pompey though although I expect his days in an England shirt are going to be very limited.
He scored some great goals for us but there were also far too many average performances but I hope he'll be happier at Pompey as the last year must have sucked.
heimdall

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:40 pm

Cheers for some great memories, Peter (Galatasaray at Anfield springs to mind, as does the Arsenal hattrick), and best of luck down sarf! :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Redangel » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:57 pm

Just wanted to add my best wishes to Crouch , wasn't convinced when we signed him but he won me over.There were many games last season when I thought he should have played, but then Rafa's the boss and he knows best. Good luck Peter ,thankyou for all your contributions to LFC , hope you bang in lots of goals , just not against us.   :)
Redangel

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:31 pm

I hope he scores the winning goal in the Community Shield final for Pompey.

BTW- Why don't they have a Community Sword too?
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:54 pm

Yay bye! :D
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:49 pm

Good luck to the fella. There has been a bit of protracted debate about whether or not he's any good. Barring injuries, putting my neck on nthe line I'm going for 15 league goals for Pompey next season. I know it's early and all that but I think they're buying a good player.

I should also say that I think it's entirely sensible that we sell him, and that given the fact we've allowed his contract to run down 8Mill with add ons is a decent fee. I didn't have a problem with us "advertising" the fact he was up for sale (that much was obvious given the fact that he only had a year to go and we never played him), my problem was with the initial fee on his head of 15 million quid. Quite clearly we would never have got that in a million years, but thankfully everyone has seen sense in the end.

Anyway I'll say it again so I can be quoted if he bombs out. 15 league goals for Pompey next season, and I won't even include penalties either.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:56 pm

I'd agree that prediction at the risk of dooming it.

I think that if any, Crouch has been the main victim of Rafa's rotation.  He'd equally be a victim of Ferguson's or any other's rotation. I think he's the kind of player that he needs to play constantly as much as he can. He also needs some game confidence, Torres and others are more able than him to be at their best after two weeks without playing.

In Pompey or any mid table team he'd get that and I wouldn't be surprised at all he scored 15 goals.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:59 pm

Sad to see him go, he had a lot to offer the club and got some great goals for us.

He is a danger man and will be for many years.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:59 pm

Yup im gonna be braver than Bigmick and Sabre and say 15-20! :D
if he starts as often as he ought to in a team like Pompey hes capable of being a success.
Better not score against us though!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:01 pm

good luck Peter...11 million isn't bad mind!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:02 pm

Manhattan's Predictions:

- He will score 17 goals next season.
- He will marry Abby
- He will run for Parliament
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:32 pm

Good luck to him, hope he does well(not against us though obviously) and can play more regular football now which i know he's dying to do.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion