Peter Crouch general discussion thread - Portsmouth confirm personal terms agreed

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rush Job » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:05 am

Owzat wrote:I've heard plenty about other moves but not much about potential buyers for Crouch since the £8m bid (?) by 'arry. We got three years out of him and he cost less than £8m, considering he's dropped down the pecking order I think most we'll get is £10m and two choices - sell now for a firm offer of £8m or hold on for a £10m bid that may never come

But Redknap has already said he'd pay 10.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:04 am

Sabre wrote:Interesting.

But why would you like to see that partnership?

Just to try it out. I mean it's better than any striker partnership we've had last season.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby Owzat » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:23 am

Rush Job wrote:
Owzat wrote:I've heard plenty about other moves but not much about potential buyers for Crouch since the £8m bid (?) by 'arry. We got three years out of him and he cost less than £8m, considering he's dropped down the pecking order I think most we'll get is £10m and two choices - sell now for a firm offer of £8m or hold on for a £10m bid that may never come

But Redknap has already said he'd pay 10.

I did say I'd not heard anything (much) about Crouch since the £8m bid, hence I haven't heard anything about 'arry offering £10m.............. Do you have a link to that offer/rumour or did a'rry say it to you personally?
Last edited by Owzat on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:03 pm

Rumours appeared that Pompey are prepared to pay £10m, not seen anything solid but £14m combined for Crouch and Riise would be good business. Unfortunately spending all of that on Barny would not..........................
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:12 am

In The Independent today:

Crouch ready to join Portsmouth

By Sam Wallace
Monday, 7 July 2008

Portsmouth yesterday agreed a deal worth £11m for Peter Crouch and the Liverpool striker will sign officially in midweek. The Independent revealed on Saturday that the two sides were at last close to a valuation, but they did not come to an agreement until yesterday afternoon. Crouch, 27, cannot complete the paperwork because some Liverpool officials are not yet back at work until this week.

Liverpool will get most of the money up front, although Portsmouth were not the only club to offer that amount. With only one year left on his contract, the England striker attracted similarly substantial bids from Tottenham and Newcastle. The clincher for Crouch was the chance to play for Harry Redknapp again, more than six years since he left Fratton Park for Aston Villa during Redknapp's first spell in charge of the club. The Portsmouth manager made sure that his board did not give up on the deal after Liverpool rejected their first bid of £9m.

With first-team chances limited at Liverpool because of a 4-2-3-1 formation accommodating Fernando Torres, the decision to leave was a simple one. Crouch has enjoyed his three years at Liverpool but is thrilled at the prospect of first-team football again, especially in partner-ship with Jermain Defoe. The two have played alongside one another for England Under-21s and the senior team.

For that reason he does not regard leaving Anfield as a backward step. Rather, he has made the decision that playing football is the most important factor. There was an improved deal on the table from Liverpool, but that was never a consideration after a season in which he started only nine Premier League games. A more cynical character would have chosen to see out his contract and leave on a free transfer next summer, making substantially more money. However, Crouch is determined to be a key player in Fabio Capello's 2010 World Cup qualification campaign, which begins in September, and realises that he will have to be playing first-team football.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport....06.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see Parry is still on holiday then!

It's a decent price, if true.
Last edited by Effes on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:22 am

There were apparently three alleged prices in papers yesterday, £10m, £11m or something like £8.75m depending on which you wish to believe. But they were consistent in saying Portsmouth.

Maybe we should point out to the leprechaun at villa that a player reckoned to be worth £15m was sold for £10m and that should set the benchmark, although I'm hoping that deal falls by the wayside
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:31 am

Owzat wrote:There were apparently three alleged prices in papers yesterday, £10m, £11m or something like £8.75m depending on which you wish to believe. But they were consistent in saying Portsmouth.

Maybe we should point out to the leprechaun at villa that a player reckoned to be worth £15m was sold for £10m and that should set the benchmark, although I'm hoping that deal falls by the wayside

Benchmark ? ,
They're two different markets, the leprechaun wasn't looking to sell and consequently can set his own price however overinflated it may be.
LFC on the otherhand have made it abundantly clear that Crouch could go and with only one year left on his contract, if the deal does go through, we should count ourselves lucky we got double figures for him.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:56 am

True Woof. Given the fact that some people seem to be of the opinion that he isn't fit to wear the shirt as well, it's interesting to note that three other Premiership managers apparently think he's a good player. Kind of confirms what most of us have thought along which is nice   :;):
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:22 am

Just saw on SSN that todays Independant that Pompey will finalise a Crouch deal for 11Mil this week.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ALONSO_14 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:25 am

I'd love crouch to stay, dont think hes done that badly, always seems to do well when he gets on the pitch. Id rather we f.ucked voronin off before him

Obviously thats not going to happen like
Last edited by ALONSO_14 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ALONSO_14 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:06 am

on the BBC now

Crouch poised for Pompey switch
By Phil McNulty
Chief football writer

Peter Crouch
Crouch is entering the final year of his contract at Anfield

Peter Crouch is poised to complete his switch from Liverpool to Portsmouth in a deal that could be worth up to £11m.

BBC Sport understands the two clubs moved towards an agreement over the weekend and the 27-year-old will complete the formalities within days.

England striker Crouch has set his heart on linking up with Pompey boss Harry Redknapp again after leaving the club six years ago.

He will team up with Jermain Defoe in a new-look Portsmouth attack next season.

Liverpool are expected to initially receive in the region of £9m for Crouch, who joined the club from Southampton in July 2005 but only started nine Premier League games last term.

Anfield boss Rafael Benitez initially said he would consider offers for Crouch in the region of £15m, but has been forced to scale back his demands for a player with only a year left on his current contract.

606: DEBATE
How much is Crouch worth?

The England international has scored 40 goals in 135 appearances for the Anfield side but has struggled to hold down a regular first-team place in recent times.

Crouch was relegated behind Fernando Torres, who scored 33 goals for the Reds after signing from Atletico Madrid last summer.

But he was a popular figure with Liverpool fans and still managed to net 11 goals as he was mainly used as a substitute by Benitez.

Crouch started his career as a trainee at Tottenham before moves to QPR, Portsmouth, Aston Villa, Norwich- where he had a spell on loan - Southampton and Liverpool.
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:27 pm

Why don't they mention that Crouch played for the swedish club Ängelholm for about a year. He was a big admirer of beer back then. :D
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby Moop123 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:56 pm

Crouch has officially opened talks with Portsmouth - from .tv

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160437080707-1240.htm
Moop123

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:03 pm

SSN say that a bid has been accepted for Crouch.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:16 pm

If the fee is £10m or so, it'll be a good deal for us, and about as much as we should get in my opinion - give or take £1m.

Rafa's comments 'advertising' Crouch don't appear to have made it any more difficult to get a reasonable fee. There seemed to be a fair bit of interest in him, so perhaps he wasn't as unwise in his comments as some previously made out?

Either that, or Harry Redknapp and Portsmouth are being totally and utterly naive about the transfer market by offering to pay as much.
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion