PEPE REINA - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:55 pm

dai amico! I didn't say his form dipped just because of the back four, it's one of the reasons definitely, he was still part of the defense that didn't concede a lot when Kenny Dalglish was in charge too. His formed dipped for a lot of reasons too, one of them being the change in back four personnel
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:07 pm

metalhead » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:55 pm wrote:dai amico! I didn't say his form dipped just because of the back four, it's one of the reasons definitely, he was still part of the defense that didn't concede a lot when Kenny Dalglish was in charge too. His formed dipped for a lot of reasons too, one of them being the change in back four personnel

Well I wasn't referring specifically to your comments but either way, if the "weak back 4" excuse can be given to Reina, it can be given to Mignolet as well.

Reina wasn't himself anymore and he didn't want to be here so he had to be moved on. Who has a "dip" in form for 2 damn years anyway?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:48 pm

damjan193 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:53 pm wrote:It's a bit silly to say that Reina's form dipped because of the bad back 4 he had in front of him while Mignolet currently has a back 4 that is even worse. Keep in mind that he's also playing in a system that favors attacking football.

But unfortunately, IMO, Mignolet has a lot of flaws that I thought we'll see an improvement on by now but it hasn't happened and I don't think that it ever will. Overall, Reina was a far better keeper. Yes, he might have not caught shots like Mign did the other day but he would have still saved it, just not like that. He would have probably positioned himself in front of Rodriguez, closing all the angles and denying Rodriguez the opportunity to have a decent shot.

However, considering Reina's form and the way that he acted, I think that signing Mignolet was the right decision. He might not be as good as Reina was at his best, but he's still a good goalie that will have a good career with us.

Agree with 90% of your post mate.

Where I disagree

(sic) Mignolet might not be as good as Reina was at his best, but he's still a good goalie that will have a good career with us

Mignolet is Jerzey Dudek mark 2.

We need a keeper who shows authority, commands his box, and helps organise the defence.

Mignolet has none of these attributes.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:09 pm

damjan193 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:07 pm wrote:
metalhead » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:55 pm wrote:dai amico! I didn't say his form dipped just because of the back four, it's one of the reasons definitely, he was still part of the defense that didn't concede a lot when Kenny Dalglish was in charge too. His formed dipped for a lot of reasons too, one of them being the change in back four personnel

Well I wasn't referring specifically to your comments but either way, if the "weak back 4" excuse can be given to Reina, it can be given to Mignolet as well.

Reina wasn't himself anymore and he didn't want to be here so he had to be moved on. Who has a "dip" in form for 2 damn years anyway?

Reina had seen a lot players from his 'generation' like Alonso, Torres, Arbeloa, Hyypia, Garcia, Riise, Kuyt, Benayoun etc leave the club and of course he saw the manager who brought him here in the first place go too. We've all worked for firms that have gone through a lot of personnel changes and all of a sudden it doesn't feel like the same place anymore, probably a bit of that was going on with Reina.
He was a top keeper for us but we need to look forward not backwards.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:14 pm

damjan193 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:53 pm wrote:It's a bit silly to say that Reina's form dipped because of the bad back 4 he had in front of him while Mignolet currently has a back 4 that is even worse. Keep in mind that he's also playing in a system that favors attacking football.

But unfortunately, IMO, Mignolet has a lot of flaws that I thought we'll see an improvement on by now but it hasn't happened and I don't think that it ever will. Overall, Reina was a far better keeper. Yes, he might have not caught shots like Mign did the other day but he would have still saved it, just not like that. He would have probably positioned himself in front of Rodriguez, closing all the angles and denying Rodriguez the opportunity to have a decent shot.

However, considering Reina's form and the way that he acted, I think that signing Mignolet was the right decision. He might not be as good as Reina was at his best, but he's still a good goalie that will have a good career with us.

It contributes to poor form. The player next to you will always contribute to your own form, he won't however increase your own level of ability. As for playing in a team that favours attacking football that's fine, I'm not expecting clean sheet after clean sheet like Pepe used to churn out, but conceding two goals a game on a regular basis and being at fault for as many as he is at fault for is quite simply not good enough.

As for Mignolet being "good", nar... average at best.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Stu the Red » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:14 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:53 pm wrote:It's a bit silly to say that Reina's form dipped because of the bad back 4 he had in front of him while Mignolet currently has a back 4 that is even worse. Keep in mind that he's also playing in a system that favors attacking football.

It contributes to poor form. The player next to you will always contribute to your own form, he won't however increase your own level of ability. As for playing in a team that favours attacking football that's fine, I'm not expecting clean sheet after clean sheet like Pepe used to churn out, but conceding two goals a game on a regular basis and being at fault for as many as he is at fault for is quite simply not good enough.

World class save at the weekend tho and clean sheet :eyebrow
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:22 pm

Boocity » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:34 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:14 pm wrote:

World class save at the weekend tho and clean sheet :eyebrow

About time as well!! :no
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:26 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:09 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:07 pm wrote:

Reina had seen a lot players from his 'generation' like Alonso, Torres, Arbeloa, Hyypia, Garcia, Riise, Kuyt, Benayoun etc leave the club and of course he saw the manager who brought him here in the first place go too. We've all worked for firms that have gone through a lot of personnel changes and all of a sudden it doesn't feel like the same place anymore, probably a bit of that was going on with Reina.

Fair comment, Mignolet isn't the answer though! Not a chance!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:24 pm

Stu the Red » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:26 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:09 pm wrote:Reina had seen a lot players from his 'generation' like Alonso, Torres, Arbeloa, Hyypia, Garcia, Riise, Kuyt, Benayoun etc leave the club and of course he saw the manager who brought him here in the first place go too. We've all worked for firms that have gone through a lot of personnel changes and all of a sudden it doesn't feel like the same place anymore, probably a bit of that was going on with Reina.

Well that's debatable. Woof compared him with Dudek and I agree with him. Dudek had a lot of flaws but didn't he have a great career with us? Heck, we wouldn't have won the CL without him. Mign is no Pepe but he's a good keeper nevertheless.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:14 pm

damjan193 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:24 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:26 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:09 pm wrote:Reina had seen a lot players from his 'generation' like Alonso, Torres, Arbeloa, Hyypia, Garcia, Riise, Kuyt, Benayoun etc leave the club and of course he saw the manager who brought him here in the first place go too. We've all worked for firms that have gone through a lot of personnel changes and all of a sudden it doesn't feel like the same place anymore, probably a bit of that was going on with Reina.

Well that's debatable. Woof compared him with Dudek and I agree with him. Dudek had a lot of flaws but didn't he have a great career with us? Heck, we wouldn't have won the CL without him. Mign is no Pepe but he's a good keeper nevertheless.

Dudek wasn't a great goalkeeper, he was a decent one. Mignolet isn't even of that standard.

He's distinctly average at best. The sooner he's shipped out, the better. Waste of money!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:30 am

damjan193 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:24 pm wrote: Woof compared him with Dudek and I agree with him. Dudek had a lot of flaws but didn't he have a great career with us? Heck, we wouldn't have won the CL without him. Mign is no Pepe but he's a good keeper nevertheless.

Agree that Dudeks' peformance in the CL final was outstanding as were a couple of others during his time with us, e.g. the League Cup Final win over Man Utd, but no, he didn't (imo) have a great career with us.

He was our first choice keeper for four seasons, he lost his "first choice" place to Chris Kirkland in his second season and only regained it because of injury to Kirkland. He also spent his final two seasons at Liverpool as back up keeper to Pepe Reina, and in all competitions during those last two years made less than a dozen appearances.

He'll always be a Liverpool legend if only for that one night in Istanbul, but a great career with us ?  :no

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:34 am

woof woof ! » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:30 am wrote:
damjan193 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:24 pm wrote: Woof compared him with Dudek and I agree with him. Dudek had a lot of flaws but didn't he have a great career with us? Heck, we wouldn't have won the CL without him. Mign is no Pepe but he's a good keeper nevertheless.

Agree that Dudeks' peformance in the CL final was outstanding as were a couple of others during his time with us, e.g. the League Cup Final win over Man Utd, but no, he didn't (imo) have a great career with us.

He was our first choice keeper for four seasons, he lost his "first choice" place to Chris Kirkland in his second season and only regained it because of injury to Kirkland. He also spent his final two seasons at Liverpool as back up keeper to Pepe Reina, and in all competitions during those last two years made less than a dozen appearances.

He'll always be a Liverpool legend if only for that one night in Istanbul, but a great career with us ?  :no

Couldn't agree more. Dudek better than Mignolet, that's enough to make someone choke on their coffee.  :laugh:

Dudek is a legend but his status as a cult hero is on a par with with Igor Biscan. Both will always get a cheer but the reality is, for the most part, they were so bad you had to laugh.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:48 am

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:34 am wrote:Couldn't agree more. Dudek better than Mignolet, that's enough to make someone choke on their coffee.  :laugh:

Dudek is a legend but his status as a cult hero is on a par with with Igor Biscan. Both will always get a cheer but the reality is, for the most part, they were so bad you had to laugh.

Yet more clueless drivel from someone who think Lucas and Skrtel are amoung the best in the league in their positions!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

:bowdown
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:53 am

Stu the Red » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:48 am wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:34 am wrote:Couldn't agree more. Dudek better than Mignolet, that's enough to make someone choke on their coffee.  :laugh:

Yet more clueless drivel from someone who think Lucas and Skrtel are amoung the best in the league in their positions!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

:bowdown

Zzzzzz
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:00 am

Igor Biscan had more talent in his left nad than Lucas.

He simply wasn't used properly by Ged, shoehorning him in at CB alongside Hyppia while playing Henchoz at right back wasn't good for anyone's confidence. Besides I digress, Biscan's close ball control, vision and awareness was on another level. You don't get tracked by the likes of Juventus for no reason.

Back on topic though, I'm sure a lot of us can agree that in terms of ability and leadership Reina is miles ahead of Mignolet. BUT...how would it affect the team dynamic if he was to come back? I big character like Pepe...the polarity of his influence could flip, hindering this young, vibrant's team development.

Reina will always be my favourite 'keeper but time to let it go. He's not coming back.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion