Pepe reina - Gotta be good

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby skipper » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:57 am

With Dudek sidelined, Reina's pretty much the man between the goalposts, no question.  We haven't seen everything he has to offer yet, but looks good.  He seems like a solid keeper and we definitely need one.  Reina has to be consistent and not make silly mistakes.  At 22, he can be our keeper for a long time.

I hope he'll perform like Cech did for Chelsea last season.

If we can't get a quality CB, then Reina might have to make a few spectacular saves.  We paid 8 million pounds for him, so I hope he will be a great keeper.

Anymore thoughts on him?
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite14 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:03 am

I think hes going to be a great prospect 4 the future, he looks like a no nonsense keeper, Dudek at times seams to be abit of a showboater.

I personally think hes our best signing this summer.
Kopite14

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:06 am

Who knows!?! We've had sod all luck with keepers. I hope Reina is the solution we've been looking for.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:43 am

Amen
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby looprevil » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:51 am

So far so good.  Although like all our signings I won't judge them until closer to season end.
looprevil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:03 am

We paid 8 million pounds for him, so I hope he will be a great keeper.

We paid 6 million not 8.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Kid a » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:52 am

To tell the truth, I'm not that impressed by Reina. He's a decent keeper, but not what some people make him out to be. I really don't think he's a giant step up from Dudek or anything. I've seen him play numerous times for Villareal, and I just don't see anything overly special about him. At times, yeah. He has his moments. But, then again. There's moments where he looks shockingly average. Doesn't read a situation well and makes a bad decision. I don't know. He just doesn't convince me so much. I thought he had a semi dip in form towards the end of last season. Not just thinking of against Barcelona. All aorund. Anyway, still prefer him to Kirkland or Carson. Possibly Dudek as well, will know when I see him in some action in the Premiership. He's not a bad signing, though. Don't get me wrong. Exciting and all to have him here. It's funny how people always bring up his penalty record, btw. Like, it's a huge deal. It's all people here really know about him it seems. heh. I can tell you from the games I did see him in, he didn't "save" so many penalties as players did miskick them. Over the bar, wide, post.   :D

Keeping on with keepers, I think Arsenal are going to buy a tremendous one. At least they're said to be highly interested, I think. Sebastian Viera. Now, he's someone who can definitely impress. Needs to work a bit on his decision making as well, though. But, whatever. I would prefer we signed him over Reina. I think he's going to make a big name for himself one day if he joins a big club.
Kid a

Postby The_Rock » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:18 am

i read somewhere that he stopped 13 out of 17 or 19 penalities last season or something like that...  :O

Ever since i have been a LFC supporter, we have had clowns as some of our goalkeepers....I think it is about time we have a goalie in the 'safe mould'....... Can't really take any more heart attack moments....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:36 am

Kid a wrote:To tell the truth, I'm not that impressed by Reina. He's a decent keeper, but not what some people make him out to be. I really don't think he's a giant step up from Dudek or anything. I've seen him play numerous times for Villareal, and I just don't see anything overly special about him. At times, yeah. He has his moments. But, then again. There's moments where he looks shockingly average. Doesn't read a situation well and makes a bad decision. I don't know. He just doesn't convince me so much. I thought he had a semi dip in form towards the end of last season. Not just thinking of against Barcelona. All aorund. Anyway, still prefer him to Kirkland or Carson. Possibly Dudek as well, will know when I see him in some action in the Premiership. He's not a bad signing, though. Don't get me wrong. Exciting and all to have him here. It's funny how people always bring up his penalty record, btw. Like, it's a huge deal. It's all people here really know about him it seems. heh. I can tell you from the games I did see him in, he didn't "save" so many penalties as players did miskick them. Over the bar, wide, post.   :D

Keeping on with keepers, I think Arsenal are going to buy a tremendous one. At least they're said to be highly interested, I think. Sebastian Viera. Now, he's someone who can definitely impress. Needs to work a bit on his decision making as well, though. But, whatever. I would prefer we signed him over Reina. I think he's going to make a big name for himself one day if he joins a big club.

Doesnt vieira play for a team from Uraguay (however its spelt) ? Do you follow south american football, cos i have never seen him play ?
As for our goalkeeper Reina, so far so good, although like most have said judgement is reserved until we are up against proper teams and he is put under real pressure.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:12 am

Reina looks solid

confident taking crosses

stands up well.

and as history has proven (schmeical & cech) a good team depends on and is built on a good keeper

:D

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jammydodger » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:55 pm

Somebody mentioned that they'd seen him play for Villareal and that he wasnt too impressive - thats absurd. he has all the essential attributes to become the best goalkeeper in the PL. His handling skills are unquestionable, his distribution is very cunning, and he is incredibly agile. Also, he is a brilliant penalty saver, and as we have Hyypia (who is obviously not as fast as he used to be) and Traore (who is far too clumsy to wear the red shirt) it is likely we will concede more penalties than most other teams this season...

Reina is DEFINATELY our best summer buy...
jammydodger

Postby JC_81 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:10 pm

Reina has all the attributes to be a good keeper, and despite what some others have said, he was superb for Villareal.

Whether he's a hit all depends on how he adapts to being at a club as big as Liverpool.  Kirkland, Dudek and Westerveld all looked good keepers before we signed them, but maybe they couldn't cope so well with the pressure of a big club and the consistenct that is expected from a player for such a club.

The difference with Reina is that he has played for Barcelona, so he won't be overawed coming to Liverpool.  I have a good feeling about this one.  One other thing he has that our previous keepers didn't is that he's decisive, possibly the most important attribute to have as a top class keeper
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MCYan » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:49 pm

perhaps hes just like james/westerveld/dudek? :D
MCYan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Afroman » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:58 pm

Dudek at one point was the best keeper in the prem, he's slipped in the last few season but I'd still have him in my team over Reina.
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:03 pm

Dudek at one point was the best keeper in the prem, he's slipped in the last few season but I'd still have him in my team over Reina.

:laugh: :D :laugh:
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion