PEPE REINA - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby babu » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:05 am

I was certainly not glad to see the back of Torres when he left. I can't believe that anyone thought that. Sure the price tag helped, but glad to see him leave?

Simply the best striker we had here since fowler. His performance was on a downtrend, but who could have predicted his dismal performance at chelsea?

Don't get me wrong, I glad he's not doing well for them, I would be sad for him if he went overseas.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:09 pm

I thought that Torres hand become extremely disgruntled and disillusioned for a variety of reasons. H & G ownership style was a factor. Hodgson as manager before Kenny arrived. Injury problems - never quite full recovered and certainly lost a vital half yard. He became a massive sulk and I just don't think he was good for the dressing room. I have never been surprised by his lacklustre performances at Chelsea.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:22 pm

His last season with us he was a shadow of the player he was when he first arrived. I wouldn't have been too unhappy if he'd left us to go to a club in Spain, Italy etc but I was absolutely livid that he chose to go to Chelsea, he showed the Liverpool fans who had worshipped him, that he basically didn't give a f*ck about them.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby damjan193 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:01 pm

I wasn't a very active member at the time but I remember saying that it was the right time to sell Torres. I got a lot of stick for that, "you don't sell your best players" I was told, which is fair enough, but for me it was obvious that Torres wasn't himself anymore and that he'll never recover. I didn't want us to sell him on the last day of the window and to Chelsea at that, but I was certain that his time had come. Over time, I became very glad that we sold him to a direct rival for a fortune, because he became even worse than I anticipated. Ultimately, it proved to be a very good decision by the club.

As for Reina, I wouldn't mind him back to be honest. He did some bad things but not bad enough to be no longer welcomed. We could use another keeper. Don't think it will happen though. He seems to be very angry with Rodgers and vice-versa.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:57 pm

damjan193 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:01 pm wrote:I wasn't a very active member at the time but I remember saying that it was the right time to sell Torres. I got a lot of stick for that, "you don't sell your best players" I was told, which is fair enough, but for me it was obvious that Torres wasn't himself anymore and that he'll never recover. I didn't want us to sell him on the last day of the window and to Chelsea at that, but I was certain that his time had come. Over time, I became very glad that we sold him to a direct rival for a fortune, because he became even worse than I anticipated. Ultimately, it proved to be a very good decision by the club.

As for Reina, I wouldn't mind him back to be honest. He did some bad things but not bad enough to be no longer welcomed. We could use another keeper. Don't think it will happen though. He seems to be very angry with Rodgers and vice-versa.

It's not worth having Reina back if his relationship with Rodgers has deteriorated to the point where Brendan feels uncomfortable having him around. You want Brendan driving into Melwood every morning with a spring in his step looking forward to working with the players, not dreading a confrontation.
Team spirit is a huge part of what we have got here and as good a servant Pepe was for this club we can't risk that team spirit being affected.
Re Torres, as woof said the owners/management obviously broke a lot of promises they made to Torres and you can't blame him for seeing his @rse with the club but choosing to go to Chelsea was just a kick in the teeth to the fans, his star was shining bright back then, he could have went anywhere.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:17 pm

pepe reina, treachery ? seriously WTF  :down:
i think its fairly obvious at this stage that him and brendan maybe didnt see eye to eye. brendan has shown that he can be ruthless if he wants like in the sahin and carroll situations. he wanted another keeper got one and didnt allow reina to even join back up with the squad. he maybe hoped to move pepe on but that back fired and we had to embarrassingly loan him instead while citing his wage as the reason.
maybe reina's letter was unprofessional in some peoples view but he probably knew his time was up and felt he owed to the fans to thank them for their support as he was liked among us.
it makes no difference now anyway as he certainly wont be coming back.
besides why is all this being dragged up again ? just because barca got a ban  :suspect: thought they made it clear they weren't interested in pepe months ago.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:10 am

I have seen post on Twitter this morning saying he might be on his way back to us, if he takes the No1 shirt I think its a big step backwards
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:24 pm

lakes10 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:10 am wrote:I have seen post on Twitter this morning saying he might be on his way back to us, if he takes the No1 shirt I think its a big step backwards

How the f*ck do you work that one out?

Swear to god the lack of intellect on here at times is frightening!

Reina is absolutely miles ahead of Mignolet in every single department and is a far better goalkeeper. He will be a massive improvement on Mignolet if we can keep him and will mean we don´t need to sign a new keeper. I would rather we kept him and spent the money elsewhere than spend it on a new keeper... unless the keeper is Begovic.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:33 pm

I hope he does come back and rolls his sleeves up fighting for those gloves ,because Pepe is a quality keeper.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:16 pm

Maybe he'll get back to his old self. Ah what the heck, if it's true, I say we give him another try.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:42 pm

He probably made the same amount of mistakes that Mignolet has this season, in his last couple seasons with us. The difference is that Pepe knows how to control his box, and, as a keeper is one of the best distributors of the ball in the game. Our style relies on quick counter attacking football, and I really think he'd fit into our style perfectly.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:56 pm

In terms of goalkeeping style he fits perfectly, he's also a class keeper.

Mignolet is far to error prone and nowhere near the required standard. He had a full season and quite frankly, he was poor.  Had he been slightly above average that may have been enough to win us the league, for me its a no brainer. If Pepe comes back with a refreshed attitude and the club are willing to allow him that chance, its a no brainer.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:34 pm

Although better than Mignolet he is older so it is not so simple to compare a player in his prime with someone younger as Mignolet will bulk up and improve not to say he will necessarily ever be world class . Pepe flapped a lot at crosses in his first season and it took him a year at least to get to grips with the prem, his last couple of seasons with us he was average at best but in between was a good keeper. I absolutely agree with you on Begovich and I think that is where we should be spending our efforts and not going back with Pepe. We need a winner in goal that dominates his area and makes game changing saves he should not make. Unfortunately Chelsea own two of them.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:22 pm

Age has nothing to do with it. Reina at 31 has easy another five years at the top. Mignolet is dog average at best and no amount of games, time, age or anything else will ever change that. He is nowhere near the required standard.

Age is never an excuse, you're either good enough. Or you aren't. Mignolet isn't and the sooner hes gone the better
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:06 am

read a few reports online alright that he could be on his way back, maybe he is but i doubt he will feature again for us and will probably get shipped out on loan just as quick or get an aqualani type deal. i reckon his relationship with rodgers is past repair and besides he will never admit he made a mistake in dropping him for mingy.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion