Pepe reina agrees new contract

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:17 am

7_Kewell wrote:
Lee J wrote:who was the best before him? Clemence I reckon. top keeper.

bruce grobbelaar was a fine keeper too, but we kept him for too long and (as far as i'm concered) he was past his best by 1990

Grobbelaar was also betting on and possibly throwing games as well wasn't he? Clemence was my boyhood hero so I would say him, he also played with no gloves (old school) but I think he had a much better defence in front of him so it is not a fair comparison. Pepe can improve more on crosses however, but other than that he's outstanding. After Dudek and Westerveld I am finally happy with that position.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:15 pm

Camerero! :cool:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby tubby » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:16 pm

There goes our summer budget. :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:25 pm

stand out player of the season. great news. :)
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:26 pm

bavlondon wrote:There goes our summer budget. :D

:laugh: , Well at least we know what we're getting.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby mcmannyman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:46 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:Absolutely delighted the Lads signed ,he exemplifies the standard of player Liverpool should be attracting ,best keeper in the World at the moment and should be Spain's no.1

I am well pleased he's staying. The form he's in he could go to any club he wanted.

Casillas gets the no.1 spot by a smidge for me, but i think their quality is almost equal.

Spain have some really good goalies don't they...wait they great player in every position  :veryangry
mcmannyman

Postby roberto green » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Good news!!!
roberto green

Postby leep33 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:24 pm

Great news he is the best keeper in the premier league and but for cassillas would be spain no 1.
leep33

Postby Owzat » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:59 am

Might be a tad premature, read this morning (BBC teletext probably) that Rafa is progressing well or words like that with contract negotiations for PEPE REINA and Javier Mascherano.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:34 am

God i love this fella . He gets it aswell .

From The Times March 20, 2010

Jose Reina reveals he really is keeper of the faith at Liverpool

Despite the club's tribulations this season, Reina called Liverpool 'one of the best clubs in the world'
Tony Barrett Recommend? The question was straight and, given Liverpool’s travails on and off the pitch this season, it was also fully justified. There was something about being asked if committing his long-term future to a club who are in danger of veering off course represented a sacrifice that rubbed Pepe Reina up the wrong way.

The Liverpool goalkeeper looked his inquisitor in the eye, his glare reminiscent of the kind he would usually save for a defender who has cost him a clean sheet with a last-minute mistake and, after a momentary pause to collect his thoughts, he answered.

“Why is it a sacrifice?” Reina said. “It is not a sacrifice. I am really proud and lucky to be here. It is about principles. I don’t know how to explain it really, but it is a feeling. I felt wanted from the beginning here. It is not always about being competitive or to be in the biggest club, but being at the right club. I think Liverpool is the right club for me.

“I am happy here and I think the club is happy, too. I have been talking with my wife and we don’t see any better place to go. It is personal and professional, the education of my daughter, it is a bit of everything. Liverpool is one of the best clubs in the world.

Related Links
Torres double eases pressure on Benitez
Liverpool suspend Riera over Benitez outburst
Benitez: Reina an example to all
“Whatever happens, whether we are in the Champions League or the Europa League, it is still Liverpool, no matter what. It will always be like this. I see no reason to leave.”

Spoken like a true keeper of the faith, in every sense. It is little wonder, therefore, that Reina is being increasingly viewed by the Liverpool hierarchy and on the Kop as not only one of the finest exponents of his trade but also as a genuine leader of men. As such, the new contract that the 27-year-old is set to sign, which will keep him at Anfield until 2016, is seen as a cause for celebration, particularly at a time when there are few positives to get excited about.

It was a wholly different scenario this time last year when Liverpool had defeated Real Madrid 4-0 in the Champions League before winning 4-1 away to Manchester United. Tomorrow they visit Old Trafford looking for a fourth successive win over their biggest rivals, but in the knowledge that while they have designs only on the Europa League and a possible top-four finish, Sir Alex Ferguson is aiming for the Champions League and a record nineteenth league title.

“I really doubt we will ever be able to repeat the week that we had at this time last year,” Reina said. “It is disappointing what has happened since then. United are fighting for the title and we are fighting for fourth place, but that is how it is and we have to be positive. I am not trying to beat them to stop them from winning the league, but to help us get fourth place.”

While Reina is likely to have to thwart Wayne Rooney if Liverpool are to stand a chance of beating the Barclays Premier League leaders, United will know that Fernando Torres, who has scored four goals in his past two games, is the biggest threat to their hopes of avenging last year’s heavy defeat.

Although an admirer of Rooney, Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, insists that he would not be willing to swap his star forward for United’s. “Not really,” Benítez said. “Fernando is a fantastic player, so is Rooney. There’s no doubt Rooney is very, very good. But Fernando is our player, the fans love him and we want to keep him for a very long time.

“For us, Fernando is very important. If he had been fit all this season, then the gap to the top would have been smaller, that is clear.”
Last edited by Igor Zidane on Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:19 am

Future captain probably, I thought Torres would be it someday but Reina is a far better candidate after Torres recent remarks about considering a move away from here.
Zidane

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:46 pm

Pepe is a Scouser , he gets us , absolutly love him
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:39 pm

I hated the guy in his first season... I was just wondering when will he be removed from the strating 11, but it never happend and I was so :censored:... at the time... now, this season and the last he has been the best goalkeeper the premier league has, especialy this season I really think that he is the best in the league.I the fact that he signed a new contract shows how dedicated he is.Even if we may be screwd and not play in the CL next season, even if he may play in a far better team, he still stays with us.Him and Carragher i respect the most, becouse they are the most dedicated players to the team.Used to think that Gerrard is one, but im starting to lose that oppinion about him after his statments about moving in to another team... he had this kind of statments earlier, but we forgived and forgot all about that, but now he's doing it again... the most favourated player of all times, besides Kenny ofcourse, and he's talking about leaving... you a scouser your whole life for Christ sake... I bet if he leaves he wont be abel to visit his mother in Liverpool :D.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby roberto green » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:52 pm

damjan193 wrote:I hated the guy in his first season... I was just wondering when will he be removed from the strating 11, but it never happend and I was so :censored:... at the time... now, this season and the last he has been the best goalkeeper the premier league has, especialy this season I really think that he is the best in the league.I the fact that he signed a new contract shows how dedicated he is.Even if we may be screwd and not play in the CL next season, even if he may play in a far better team, he still stays with us.Him and Carragher i respect the most, becouse they are the most dedicated players to the team.Used to think that Gerrard is one, but im starting to lose that oppinion about him after his statments about moving in to another team... he had this kind of statments earlier, but we forgived and forgot all about that, but now he's doing it again... the most favourated player of all times, besides Kenny ofcourse, and he's talking about leaving... you a scouser your whole life for Christ sake... I bet if he leaves he wont be abel to visit his mother in Liverpool :D.

???
roberto green

Postby damjan193 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:02 am

roberto green wrote:
damjan193 wrote:I hated the guy in his first season... I was just wondering when will he be removed from the strating 11, but it never happend and I was so :censored:... at the time... now, this season and the last he has been the best goalkeeper the premier league has, especialy this season I really think that he is the best in the league.I the fact that he signed a new contract shows how dedicated he is.Even if we may be screwd and not play in the CL next season, even if he may play in a far better team, he still stays with us.Him and Carragher i respect the most, becouse they are the most dedicated players to the team.Used to think that Gerrard is one, but im starting to lose that oppinion about him after his statments about moving in to another team... he had this kind of statments earlier, but we forgived and forgot all about that, but now he's doing it again... the most favourated player of all times, besides Kenny ofcourse, and he's talking about leaving... you a scouser your whole life for Christ sake... I bet if he leaves he wont be abel to visit his mother in Liverpool :D.

???

What?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion