PEPE REINA - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Its great to see a player establish themselves as a senior player and have a big influence.  The problem is when they become negative and start to have the wrong kind of affect.  Look at Torres under Hodgson, RVP at the Mancs this season.

When a senior player is no longer happy it tends to filter down through the team. 

For both parties, a change was probably needed and the best solution for everybody.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:32 pm

jacdaniel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:01 pm wrote:Its great to see a player establish themselves as a senior player and have a big influence.  The problem is when they become negative and start to have the wrong kind of affect.  Look at Torres under Hodgson, RVP at the Mancs this season.

When a senior player is no longer happy it tends to filter down through the team. 

For both parties, a change was probably needed and the best solution for everybody.

It can do at times yes, I think the point you've made is very fair, but the reality is, just because a player is unhappy... doesn't mean they will always be unhappy. Reina's daughter speaks better scouse than most and if you need an example of a couple of players who've had a change of heart then you need to not look any further than Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez.

The fact is, we wouldn't be talking about Reina if Mignolet was any good (on a premier league level)... but he isn't. We don't talk about Torres because we have Luis... its kind of the opposite with the goalkeeper.

The reason people still discuss Pepe is because he's still technically our player and because he's absolutely miles ahead of our current "number 1" in terms of quality.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:52 pm

Stu the Red » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:32 am wrote:
jacdaniel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:01 pm wrote:Its great to see a player establish themselves as a senior player and have a big influence.  The problem is when they become negative and start to have the wrong kind of affect.  Look at Torres under Hodgson, RVP at the Mancs this season.

It can do at times yes, I think the point you've made is very fair, but the reality is, just because a player is unhappy... doesn't mean they will always be unhappy. Reina's daughter speaks better scouse than most and if you need an example of a couple of players who've had a change of heart then you need to not look any further than Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez.

The fact is, we wouldn't be talking about Reina if Mignolet was any good (on a premier league level)... but he isn't. We don't talk about Torres because we have Luis... its kind of the opposite with the goalkeeper.

The reason people still discuss Pepe is because he's still technically our player and because he's absolutely miles ahead of our current "number 1" in terms of quality.

I've always agreed that Reina is better than Mignolet, I've disagreed on how bad you think Mignolet is. However that aside, I think the discussion is moot - everything I had read, from player to manager to reporter, suggests that Reina will not return.

I would love to see him back but I am getting no clues to suggest there is even a slither of possibility.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:59 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:52 pm wrote:everything I had read, from player to manager to reporter, suggests that Reina will not return.

I would love to see him back but I am getting no clues to suggest there is even a slither of possibility.

Which is fair enough and unfortunately that seems to be the case. However, the need for a good goalkeeper is the reason this keeps cropping up. For anyone to suggest Mignolet is better than Reina is at best brain dead.

The reason people are discussing this option is it will save on a transfer fee in bringing in a top class keeper. The club knows they've made an error in bringing in Mignolet and it was very telling that Wenger decided not to persue his initial interest and decided to stick with Scezcheny.

I just hope Rodgers pride doesn't come before him making the correct decisions in the summer transfer window. A defensive midfielder, winger, centre half, right back and goalkeeper are the main positions we need to strengthen. If we can get the right players in those positions and release the likes of Lucas, Skrtel, Johnson and Mignolet we'll have a quality team which will be capable of ripping anyone to shreds.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:08 pm

Stu the Red » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:59 pm wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:52 pm wrote:everything I had read, from player to manager to reporter, suggests that Reina will not return.

Which is fair enough and unfortunately that seems to be the case. However, the need for a good goalkeeper is the reason this keeps cropping up. For anyone to suggest Mignolet is better than Reina is at best brain dead.

The reason people are discussing this option is it will save on a transfer fee in bringing in a top class keeper. The club knows they've made an error in bringing in Mignolet and it was very telling that Wenger decided not to persue his initial interest and decided to stick with Scezcheny.

I just hope Rodgers pride doesn't come before him making the correct decisions in the summer transfer window. A defensive midfielder, winger, centre half, right back and goalkeeper are the main positions we need to strengthen. If we can get the right players in those positions and release the likes of Lucas, Skrtel, Johnson and Mignolet we'll have a quality team which will be capable of ripping anyone to shreds.

As hopefully we make CL football we will need a better squad so we should not be releasing Lucas, Skirtel,and Mignolet but rather replace them with better players and have them fill the squad. Since those three are seasoned veterans they will help our depth assuming the new better players can make the position their own. A lot more games next year and we don't want CL football to affect our PL form.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:38 am

kazza » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:08 pm wrote:As hopefully we make CL football we will need a better squad so we should not be releasing Lucas, Skirtel,and Mignolet but rather replace them with better players and have them fill the squad. Since those three are seasoned veterans they will help our depth assuming the new better players can make the position their own.

:nod  Agreed, we're going to need more numbers next season and whilst most of us think more quality is needed in some positions it doesn't automatically follow that if we sign "better" quality we should then just get rid of other players.

Provided they were prepared to be part of a squad and not necessarily "first choice" I'd have no problem with the players you've mentioned staying with us, if nothing else they'd certainly improve our bench   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Stu the Red » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:59 pm wrote:

The club actually knows we made a mistake?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:44 pm

woof woof ! » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:38 am wrote:
kazza » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:08 pm wrote:As hopefully we make CL football we will need a better squad so we should not be releasing Lucas, Skirtel,and Mignolet but rather replace them with better players and have them fill the squad. Since those three are seasoned veterans they will help our depth assuming the new better players can make the position their own.

:nod  Agreed, we're going to need more numbers next season and whilst most of us think more quality is needed in some positions it doesn't automatically follow that if we sign "better" quality we should then just get rid of other players.

Provided they were prepared to be part of a squad and not necessarily "first choice" I'd have no problem with the players you've mentioned staying with us, if nothing else they'd certainly improve our bench   :D

The point is you don't need all these extra players as clutter. The amount of money in wages they are costing is ridiculous and the amount of potential money into the transfer pot would help as well.

There is no point keeping Lucas, when you would have a new signing, Gerrard, Allen and Henderson already their fighting for two spots.

Same with the centre backs. Its about trimming the numbers and having two players for each position. I've often been an advocate not getting rid of players but there is a limit.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:53 pm

The wages are certainly a consideration especially Johnson's but based on your previous questionable valuation of £12m for Lucas,Johnson and Skrtel I agree that we should keep them. No doubt you would add on another fifty quid for Mignolet !!  :grinning: You really are getting more bizarre by the day but I like you  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:52 pm

Stu the Red » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:44 pm wrote:
The point is you don't need all these extra players as clutter. The amount of money in wages they are costing is ridiculous and the amount of potential money into the transfer pot would help as well.

There is no point keeping Lucas, when you would have a new signing, Gerrard, Allen and Henderson already their fighting for two spots.

Same with the centre backs. Its about trimming the numbers and having two players for each position. I've often been an advocate not getting rid of players but there is a limit.

I take your point on limits and wages but even assuming we brought in a midfielder, a CB and a GK, whilst Lucas could perhaps be deemed surplus to requirements Mignolet and Skrtel would still be get a place in my squad, ahead of the likes of Jones and Toure.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:09 pm

On Mignolet its obvious he's better than Jones.

The point is though if you have a quality keeper they usually play most if not all games, they won't suffer with burn out so I'm not a fan of clogging up the wage bill in such a manor.

Also with regards to Skrtel, he's on more money again than Toure and I don't believe there is a massive difference in ability. Skertel is again the slightly better player, but the point being for me is we'd have Agger, Sahko and another ahead of him so I do believe as long as your fourth choice players are "capable" then we have enough cover.

To be honest, I'd be more than happy for Wisdom/Kelly (fitness depending) to be fourth choice.

My squad for next year would look something like this.... (first choice at top)

GK - New player
GK - Jones

RB - New player
RB - Flannagan

LB - Enrique
LB - Robinson (Flannagan/Kelly)

CB - New player
CB - Sahko
CB - Agger
CB - Wisdom

CM - New player
CM - Henderson, Allen, Gerrard

AM - Coutinho

FW - Suarez
FW - New player
FW - Sterling
FW - Sturridge

Then depending on the system Coutinho could play in a front 3 or midfield 3 Sturridge could partner Suarez etc etc.

Ideally I'd like to see Begovic, Lovren, Schneiderlin and an Arjen Robben type (or someone of that class) come in to fill the gaps. Big ask obviously but thats got to be the aim.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:20 pm

It's the Pepe Reina thread and we've drifted way off topic BUT it's deffo worth a thread of it's own.

I'll stick one up "Next Season - Early Days but ? " then get back to yer Stu .  :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:21 pm

He gave an interview to footy focus the weekend, not sure if any of our posters from down under/ U.S / Far East saw it so here's the link -http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26497376
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:47 pm

He played well against Roma on Sunday. I watched the game.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby damjan193 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:50 pm

bunglemark2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:47 pm wrote:He played well against Roma on Sunday. I watched the game.

Saw the game myself as well. If that was a regular performance by him I'd gladly welcome him back.

But after reading and hearing all the interviews from Reina and Rodgers and looking at how they talk about each other with a bit of venom in their words, I think it's safe to say that Reina won't be playing for us again (something we have already known for some time). What's done is done, time to move on.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion