Pepe reina - Gotta be good

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby matrix » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:02 pm

Afroman wrote:Dudek at one point was the best keeper in the prem, he's slipped in the last few season but I'd still have him in my team over Reina.

get a grip of yourself man     :laugh:   :alien:   :angry:

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:19 pm

would be nice to see a safe clemence type keeper between our posts again
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gracias King Rafa » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:32 pm

As far as I'm conerned he's my hero already after refusing to "help" the bitters!! :laugh:
Gracias King Rafa

Postby Espionage » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:32 am

lol that was good, i liked the way he taunted them and said that they had no chance against Villereal :p :p
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby padzer » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:37 am

He didnt have much of a chance of keeping their goal out (seeing that he stayed on his line) but that was a brilliant save right at the death.  With the other CSKA attacker to his right, he could easily have palmed the ball into his path.

Fair play Reina.
padzer

Postby oOShrimpyOo » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:26 pm

i agree that was a world class save at the end of yesterdays game. Another thing thats good about reina is that he has a big mouth, and he isnt afraid to shout as i heard him clearly on my sofa in the TNS and Kaunas games.
oOShrimpyOo

Postby Boocity » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:25 pm

He is also pretty cool with the ball at his feet. back passes don't faze him and his distribution looks good.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Siddy454 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:00 pm

Yesterday he made a crucial save in stoppage time to prevent 3-2 which would have been a very unfair reflection on the game. Unlike dudek when he comes out he is dcicive and isnt in 2 mind. So the goals he has conceaded no goalie could ha saved. First impressions great
1892 - 2005 - Liverpool F.C

18 League Titles
6 F.A Cups
7 League Cups                         
5 European Cups
3 UEFA Cups
3 European Super Cups
1 Super Cup
14 Charity Shields
Y.N.W.A
Siddy454

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:57 pm

To be honest he needs to prove himself worth 8 million.

But he should be a solid goalkeeper slightly more decisive than Dudek was with crosses and corners but only time and proper matches in the prem will tell.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:44 pm

Dudeks No.1 Fan wrote:To be honest he needs to prove himself worth 8 million.

But he should be a solid goalkeeper slightly more decisive than Dudek was with crosses and corners but only time and proper matches in the prem will tell.

Your fanatic love of Dudek has been shortlived, he'll never recover from being twatted on the arm. 

Reina is fuking ace.  Poland will do well in the Wcqers though.
109-1093441336

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:02 pm

i havent seen enough of him to judge him properly, he made one excellent save at the end of yesterdays game but dropped a cross in traffic and flapped wildly at another.
the one thing he has got is an air of confidence about him, if keepers look a bag of nerves this often transfers itself to the defence as a whole and before you know it the whole team is sh1.tting itself everytime the ball gets near our box.
he certainly looks the part, wether he is only time will tell. every keeper we`ve had since brucie was meant to be the next best thing since sliced bread, both david james and kirkland were meant to be the england keepers for the next ten years when we signed them.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:01 pm

To be honest he needs to prove himself worth 8 million.

Check your facts before you state something. We payed Reina for 6 million.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Kid a » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:09 pm

jammydodger wrote:Somebody mentioned that they'd seen him play for Villareal and that he wasnt too impressive - thats absurd. he has all the essential attributes to become the best goalkeeper in the PL. His handling skills are unquestionable, his distribution is very cunning, and he is incredibly agile. Also, he is a brilliant penalty saver, and as we have Hyypia (who is obviously not as fast as he used to be) and Traore (who is far too clumsy to wear the red shirt) it is likely we will concede more penalties than most other teams this season...

Reina is DEFINATELY our best summer buy...

How is it absurd?? It's called an opinion on him, mate. That's mine. I can probably say yours is just as absurd as you don't mention watching him play, but that he has the essential attributes to make him a great keeper. I'm basing my opinion on him from watching most of Villareal's games last season. As I follow the team. Do you share the same knowledge of him?? Probably not. You've probably seen him in a game or two, watched a highlight clip when he was signed, and seen him go out now a couple times for us. Anyway, I'm not denying that he didn't have a good season. Or more so did Villarreal. Key there. It's just that I don't see his stats and everything transfer and register onto his overall play. Like someone such as Cech. You can see it there. I don't find Reina overly impressive. I've seen him put on some good, great displays, and other times...he just looks like a competent keeper. What do you want me to say?? I never said he was a bad signing. It's just that I don't share the same belief as some fans who think we've landed a major superstar. He's good, but will he be great....who knows. We'll see how it plays out. He has potential, but will he make a big difference like everyone expects... 

I really don't have a negative opinion on the guy, people. Don't mean to make myself out like that. Just sharing my views on him. Probably more qualified than most of you. Funny thing.
Kid a

Postby Kid a » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:17 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
Kid a wrote:To tell the truth, I'm not that impressed by Reina. He's a decent keeper, but not what some people make him out to be. I really don't think he's a giant step up from Dudek or anything. I've seen him play numerous times for Villareal, and I just don't see anything overly special about him. At times, yeah. He has his moments. But, then again. There's moments where he looks shockingly average. Doesn't read a situation well and makes a bad decision. I don't know. He just doesn't convince me so much. I thought he had a semi dip in form towards the end of last season. Not just thinking of against Barcelona. All aorund. Anyway, still prefer him to Kirkland or Carson. Possibly Dudek as well, will know when I see him in some action in the Premiership. He's not a bad signing, though. Don't get me wrong. Exciting and all to have him here. It's funny how people always bring up his penalty record, btw. Like, it's a huge deal. It's all people here really know about him it seems. heh. I can tell you from the games I did see him in, he didn't "save" so many penalties as players did miskick them. Over the bar, wide, post.   :D

Keeping on with keepers, I think Arsenal are going to buy a tremendous one. At least they're said to be highly interested, I think. Sebastian Viera. Now, he's someone who can definitely impress. Needs to work a bit on his decision making as well, though. But, whatever. I would prefer we signed him over Reina. I think he's going to make a big name for himself one day if he joins a big club.

Doesnt vieira play for a team from Uraguay (however its spelt) ? Do you follow south american football, cos i have never seen him play ?
As for our goalkeeper Reina, so far so good, although like most have said judgement is reserved until we are up against proper teams and he is put under real pressure.

Yeah, he's Uruguay's number one. heh. What do you do a quick search for him on champ manager or something?? Don't think he's all that well known outside South America.  Would be weird if you automatically knew. :D

I follow South American football, yes. I'm live in Argentina (American, though). Football obsessed people. You couldn't imagine how many football related shows there are, let alone different games from everywhere that they show.
Kid a

Postby Luis Garcia » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:52 am

skipper wrote:With Dudek sidelined, Reina's pretty much the man between the goalposts, no question.  We haven't seen everything he has to offer yet, but looks good.  He seems like a solid keeper and we definitely need one.  Reina has to be consistent and not make silly mistakes.  At 22, he can be our keeper for a long time.

I hope he'll perform like Cech did for Chelsea last season.

If we can't get a quality CB, then Reina might have to make a few spectacular saves.  We paid 8 million pounds for him, so I hope he will be a great keeper.

Anymore thoughts on him?

yeah, He made a couple of mistakes versus CSKA Sofia that raised an eyebrow:

1. He came for a low crossed ball, 1st half, and caught thin air. could have cost us.

2. CSKA Goal 44th minute, reina didnt bother to dive to try to keep the ball out, like dudek would have. it was obvious after the cross that a head was gonna send the ball goalbound, but reinea watched it go in  ???  goo thing the tie is in the bag.
Luis Garcia

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion