Pepe reina - The best in the premiership or is he?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:06 pm

he's the best keeper we have ever had and that is all that matters

Also another point to bring up , did u notice that all the keepers u have mentioned are older then reina , he's only 24 and already so good , he's bound to improve with time and will
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:15 pm

Reina is the best keeper in the world. He goes about his buisness without getting all the praise and accolades the likes of Cech, Van Der Sar and others get. Nobody (other than L'pool fans) mention how good he really is. Yes he makes mistakes, but he's only human and has age on his side to learn and reduce the amount of errors he makes.

7 million for him, was 20 million under his price tag if you ask me. He's the second best keeper I've seen play for Liverpool in my lifetime, behind Clemance. And he's probably in the top five ever to play in the premiership. I just hope he'll be with us for another 10 years because we won't find anyone to replace him that easily.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby JBG » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:11 pm

Reina is a very good keeper but he still has some worrying weaknesses, like being liable to flap when challenged on crosses.

One of the best keepers I've ever seen for using his legs to block shots, mind.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Rush Job » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:44 pm

Great keeper, great prospect but not the best in the league let alone the world, that said he`s young and his weaknesses will improve though experience, like when to come and when to stay put. I do think some of the problems we`ve had from set peices are born out of the indisition of the keeper but as i say that shouldnt be too hard to put right.
We are IMO lacking a bit of confidence defending set plays and the bottom line is its Pepe`s box.
Are we sorted for a keeper for the next decade?  Yes.
Last edited by Rush Job on Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:25 am

Reina is a very good keeper but he still has some worrying weaknesses, like being liable to flap when challenged on crosses.

Hes flapping like crazy trying to fly for those high crosses ! :D

I like the guy a lot, I think hes one of the best only lately has he some sort of knock on his confidence with regards to crosses. He'll come good and then become the best ever. Again.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:00 pm

maguskwt wrote:those stats don't really tell the ability of the keeper alone do they? It tells the story of the keeper + the defense as a collective unit... I'm afraid if we wanna isolate the keeper's quality, we just have to observe him qualitatively...

Any keeper with a poor defence in front of him will concede goals, however a good keeper making few mistakes will keep more clean sheets. It only takes one slight error on the part of the keeper to concede a goal.

And I'm afraid qualitative observation isn't worth much, people can make whatever claims they like with no prospect of proving their case one way or the other. I didn't say those stats make him a bad keeper, he has weaknesses that get exposed and while he doesn't make many absolute gaffes, he is a bit of a liability (there you go, qualitative assessment) And it's funny how our defence with Hyypia and Carragher one season conceded more goals than the same defence in another ie the defence in front of him is not much different/weaker/stronger
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:31 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
Peter Smeichel IMO was the greatest keeper I've ever seen.

Same here. I'm not old enough to go back billions of years to remeber te days of Gordon Banks, and Pat Jennings even. But I'd still say that Peter Schmiecal was the best goalkeeper the planets ever seen. Brilliant keeper.

As for Reina I'd agree ith everything you said about him, maybe not your ratings but definately your reading. I'm not so stupid as to believe that just because he plays for Liverpool hes THE BEST !!!! YAY.

Hes a very good keeper, no more no less. And at times flatters calamity James coming for those crosses.

Like you said though in every other aspect hes good, I particulaly like the sweeper keeper style hes endorsed and is probably one of the best around a that. He has good feet, when the ball is passed back, and I like the early vision from him when either throwing out or kicking the ball. Similar in that sense to the great Dane.

Easily the best goalkeeper I've seen is Schmeichal. Almost perfect. Reina as you've said his weaknesses, to be fair, its a good post untill the "ratings" bit.

He's the second best in the country behind Cech. As for the "wonder" saves, I understand what you mean, but I ask, did you not watch the Man Utd match? Also, his positioning is that good he rarely has to scramble across his goal.

Unquestionabley though, the best thing about Pepe is his distribution, its a footballers distribution without a doubt. Dudek used to stand and put his hand up, Reina throws it into play quickly or plays a quick kick, he's extremely intelligent and sharp with his distribution and I'd say he's as good as Schmeichal in that department easy.

He's also immense off his line and his "mistakes" apart from off crosses very rarely cost us goals, if ever.

Perfectly happy with him and not an area we even need to consider while he's with the club.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:53 am

Fo Dne wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
Peter Smeichel IMO was the greatest keeper I've ever seen.

Same here. I'm not old enough to go back billions of years to remeber te days of Gordon Banks, and Pat Jennings even. But I'd still say that Peter Schmiecal was the best goalkeeper the planets ever seen. Brilliant keeper.

As for Reina I'd agree ith everything you said about him, maybe not your ratings but definately your reading. I'm not so stupid as to believe that just because he plays for Liverpool hes THE BEST !!!! YAY.

Hes a very good keeper, no more no less. And at times flatters calamity James coming for those crosses.

Like you said though in every other aspect hes good, I particulaly like the sweeper keeper style hes endorsed and is probably one of the best around a that. He has good feet, when the ball is passed back, and I like the early vision from him when either throwing out or kicking the ball. Similar in that sense to the great Dane.

Easily the best goalkeeper I've seen is Schmeichal. Almost perfect. Reina as you've said his weaknesses, to be fair, its a good post untill the "ratings" bit.

He's the second best in the country behind Cech. As for the "wonder" saves, I understand what you mean, but I ask, did you not watch the Man Utd match? Also, his positioning is that good he rarely has to scramble across his goal.

Unquestionabley though, the best thing about Pepe is his distribution, its a footballers distribution without a doubt. Dudek used to stand and put his hand up, Reina throws it into play quickly or plays a quick kick, he's extremely intelligent and sharp with his distribution and I'd say he's as good as Schmeichal in that department easy.

He's also immense off his line and his "mistakes" apart from off crosses very rarely cost us goals, if ever.

Perfectly happy with him and not an area we even need to consider while he's with the club.

Very good post lad , with his age and time on his side , he may even surpass stmich in a couple of seasons
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gato_busta » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:26 pm

Sorry to bring this up again but does anyone know how many goals we have scored this season comming from passes by Reina (or plays started by him)? I remember a few yet I can't pinpoint them. Torres's goal against Arsenal came from a Reina pass whick was headed down by Crouch. Against Blackburn I remember a chance he created with a great clearance that ended close to the box which left Kuyt in front of goal yet he missed.
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Postby VamosRafa » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:22 pm

I do rate Pepe, but i'm worried about his general play at the moment, especially his distribution. Obviously every player is entitled to a dip in form, but its the wrong time of the season for the goalkeeper to start undermining the performance of the team. The Utd game was particularly upsetting, I think the whole teams tentativeness stemmed from Pepe, though most the team didn't perform that day. I think he's been steady this season - no more. I wouldn't think about looking elsewhere yet, but the situation can't be good when you get that sinking feeling in your stomach every time the opposition get a free kick in our half or a corner, like back in the days when David James was keeper.
VamosRafa

Postby Seano Kop » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:32 pm

Very good goalkeeper for his age - and boy does he have some whacky celebrations - give John McEnroe and Lleyton Hewitt a run for their money!
Seano Kop

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion