Most improved player... - ...2008/09 season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:21 pm

A few contenders for most improved player this season I think.

Dirk Kuyt - Has taken unbelievable stick over the past few seasons.  IMO he has improved this year.  Decent end product in terms of goals and assists, and importantly has improved his ability to retain possession and pick the right pass in the final third.  Work rate remains top class.  I still think we need better quality in his position, but he has convinced me now we should not sell him.  He sweats blood for the shirt and I want him in the squad for the next few seasons.

Fabio Aurelio - I'd written him off, many others had too.  Fact is though he's been excellent this season.  Final ball has improved and finally has found his form in terms of set pieces too.  Definitely our best left back and a million times better than he was last season.

Alvaro Arbeloa - Not everyones cup of tea.  Perhaps gives away too many silly free kicks, but defensively he is sound.  Looks much better with a run at right back than he did filling in all across the back four.  His attacking play has improved immensely - might not be the most creative but makes intelligent runs and supports Kuyt well on the right.

Xabi Alonso - I'll admit I wanted him replaced by Barry last summer.  I felt. as it seems Rafa also did, that we hadn't seen the best of him since his first season here.  What a difference this season though, he has stepped it up a level and fair play to him.  I hope he maintains this form and stays for many seasons.

Yossi Benayoun - Our best player since Christmas??  Possibly after Gerrard and Torres he is.  One player I have to say I have always rated - always looks like he might do something different to open up a defence and now he is doing it more consistently.  Should be in starting XI from now til the end of the season.  Definitely a player I would not be looking to offload in the summer.

My personal opinion is Alonso is most improved this season.  His form has made a big difference to us this season and he has produced in almost all the big games - especially the wins against Chelsea and United earlier in the season when Gerrard was out.  Respect :bowdown
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ken_job » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:39 pm

Think alonso has been our rock this season and proved his value to the club but we always knew he was good.

Most improved i'd go for Benayoun. I think its got a lot to do with the fact that he's been given more freedom and floats in and out more like he did at west ham. He's been a revelation lately and lets hope its not a flash in the pan.
ken_job

Postby Rafa D » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:41 pm

Two words.

Yossi Benayoun.

Unbelievable.

When we signed him I thought, why? We had enough players in each position on the field and I actually thought signing him was demeaning the team as we had too many players and Rafa felt a need to needlessly rotate for rotating sake. Even at the start of this season, I seen him as nothing but a 3rd choice player in easier games and nothing matches. I felt we had better options at all the positions I could see him filling and thought, if I was the boss, he would be first out the door.

How wrong was I.

The thing that sticks in my mind was Tuesday just gone against Arsenal. I will openly admit that Yossi on the team sheet never filled me with confidence and to be honest, I always had a slight concern seeing him in the starting line up. I used to get the same feeling whenever Igor or Salif Diao was announced in it. However against Arsenal the other night, he was simply fantastic. I've heard it said before, but the ball was actually stuck to his feet, good players, brilliant players couldn'y get anywhere near him and I was truly mesmerised by his skill and footwork on the ball.

Looking back now at the Madrid game, his last minute exploits against Fulham and his other wonderful moments, I realise what a truly special player he has been in our best title challenge in my lifetime. I never thought of him as first teamer, but Yossi, I tip my hat.

He has been, simply, outstanding.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:04 pm

Too right. So many on here used to slag Yossi off before. Now he is one of our best players. Even last season he scored a lot of good goals for us. Hatrick against Beskitas ect..Hes top class and deserves all the praise he gets.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:28 pm

Benny for me as well simply because he had to sit back and wait for his chance then when he got it he had to wait again and again and again. He never moaned or complained and when needed he really produced the goods. His commitment to the cause also is second to none and he does a lot of work off the ball. I think he is now a valuable member of the team never mind the squad
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:36 pm

dirk kuyt... all credit to forest gump.. hes stepped it up and performed beyond his abilities yet and again.... still think we need a better right winger though... but he did okay this season and deserves all the praise for what hes done...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:46 am

Has to be Yossi for me he has been brilliant and our best player the past few months.If he keeps going the way he is he will be a first team regular sooner or later.Behind him I would say Alonso but that is improved on last year as we know he had the class anyway
roberto green

Postby Reg » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:24 am

A very good and very difficult question to answer and thats probably why there havent been many responses.

I need more time.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DanAn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:09 am

1. Alonso - From trade bait to arguably the best CM in the premier league, always had the potential but in terms of improvement from last year. Hands down top of the list.

2. Benayoun- Waited in the wings and has taken his chance and then some

3. Insua - From reserve player to arguably our best left back.

4. Kuyt- After a low year he's turned his form around to become one of our most important players

5. 3 way tie between Skrtl, Arbeloa Aurelio all cemented their spot as starters this season and have performed admirably.

Worst performer = Babel - From super sub to super lame sub.
DanAn

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:48 am

Really good thread, John, and a tough question to answer.  All the lads you've named are well deserving of the accolade.  For me, it's a toss up between Kuyt and Yossi.  The Israeli has been brilliant of late and that's something I'd have never predicted even a few months ago.  On the other hand, I think a lot of supporters were prepared to get shut of Dirk this summer not so long ago--me included.    Like you, John, I'm now made up he's signed a new contract and is staying on.  He used to be about tireless work rate and not much else but, as the business end of the season has arrived, he's become a vital contributor in a position that many still don't see as a natural role for him.  Plus, as has been mentioned, he'd run through a brick wall for the club and that counts for a lot.  So, I'll give my nod to Dirk slightly ahead of Yossi, with honourable mentions to a fit and firing Alonso and a much-improved Aurelio.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigmick » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:09 am

Only one contender for me, Xabi Alonso. Magnificent he has been all season, and it seems like a distant memory when Rafa was hawking him all around the football World and nobody wanted to buy him. He has revisited the form of his first season, surpassed it in all probability and for me he would walk into any other team in the Premiership. If Manchester United had him, they'd win the title in a canter. I know the same could be said of both Gerrard and Torres, but Alonso is a more recent addition to the group.

On a slightly different note, Dossena has improved from some truly astonishingly bad performances at left back, frighteningly bad, to some strangely encouraging performances at left midfield. He's no more a left midfielder than he is a fishmonger, although on occasions he does a passable impression of both.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:41 am

maybe not the MOST improved this season, but I think Torres has improved this year. To me it seems he has to work a lot harder for his goals, and he has had to deal with playing in the Euros and being in and out of fitness, probably playing a lot of games hurt.  Maybe its just me noticing it this year, but he gets beat up out there, and he also works really hard for the team.  He has only had a 7% drop in league goal scoring ratio, which I think is a very good achievement when you consider how outstanding his first season was, how inconsistent his fitness has been, how much his partnership with Gerrard was interrupted, etc.
JoeTerp

Postby bigmick » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:53 am

JoeTerp wrote:maybe not the MOST improved this season, but I think Torres has improved this year. To me it seems he has to work a lot harder for his goals, and he has had to deal with playing in the Euros and being in and out of fitness, probably playing a lot of games hurt.  Maybe its just me noticing it this year, but he gets beat up out there, and he also works really hard for the team.  He has only had a 7% drop in league goal scoring ratio, which I think is a very good achievement when you consider how outstanding his first season was, how inconsistent his fitness has been, how much his partnership with Gerrard was interrupted, etc.

Good point that Joe, he takes a fair bit of tap during the course of the match and you'll only see 60% of it on the telly. They get into him with the verbals, no doubt stand on his toes and nip as well. Can't say I blame 'em though, If I was playing against him I'd speand 7/8 of the time trying to block him, and the other 1/8 trying to kick him into row Z. I wouldn't be spending too much effort trying to outpace him put it that way.

You're right though Joe, I think his game has developed, particularly I think his heading. His equalising goal against Arsenal and the winner against Pompey were English centre forward goals.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:57 am

bigmick wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:maybe not the MOST improved this season, but I think Torres has improved this year. To me it seems he has to work a lot harder for his goals, and he has had to deal with playing in the Euros and being in and out of fitness, probably playing a lot of games hurt.  Maybe its just me noticing it this year, but he gets beat up out there, and he also works really hard for the team.  He has only had a 7% drop in league goal scoring ratio, which I think is a very good achievement when you consider how outstanding his first season was, how inconsistent his fitness has been, how much his partnership with Gerrard was interrupted, etc.

Good point that Joe, he takes a fair bit of tap during the course of the match and you'll only see 60% of it on the telly. They get into him with the verbals, no doubt stand on his toes and nip as well. Can't say I blame 'em though, If I was playing against him I'd speand 7/8 of the time trying to block him, and the other 1/8 trying to kick him into row Z. I wouldn't be spending too much effort trying to outpace him put it that way.

You're right though Joe, I think his game has developed, particularly I think his heading. His equalising goal against Arsenal and the winner against Pompey were English centre forward goals.

it seems like the days of quickly dribbling past three defenders like they are standing still and then poking the ball past the keeper are gone. Now he has to control off his chest and hook the ball over the keeper and then dip under the bar to score  :D

I also don't remember anything as spectacular from open play last season as his assist to Gerrard against Everton this year, and he has done that move twice (although I don't think it came off the other time).  He also seems very adept at spotting Gerrards runs off him and being able to play it into him with headers off of long balls.

and speaking of headers, how about that one vs. Chelsea in the 88th minute or so. Alex had a great 87 minutes and Torres popped up out of nowhere right in front of him to head at the near post.
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:17 am

It's an interesting point Joe, and great news. Because it's mentally tough to be massively succesful one season and still have that hunger to learn.

Torres never had the heading ability and I admit he has scored typical "9" header goals. However, as much he has improved on that front, he'll never be Johh Aldridge attacking the ball and turning the neck.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion