Postby aCe' » Tue May 05, 2009 1:25 am

31 Alonso.. 10 Gerrard ???

shocking to say the least...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Tue May 05, 2009 1:38 am

aCe' wrote:31 Alonso.. 10 Gerrard ???

most people were probably torn between the two, I know I was but I clicked Xabi. Considering the circumstances such as last summer I had to go for Xabi and because of the season he had last
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby DrPepe » Tue May 05, 2009 2:13 am

not shocking in the slightest  :cool:
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 05, 2009 2:18 am

Don't get your knickers in a twist, lads.  I think most people, deep down, know it's Gerrard every time for questions like this.  But, this thread and these kinds of awards would get very boring indeed if we all just said Stevie every time.  So, I think a lot of people interpret the thread as saying "if we take it as given that Gerrard is our player of the season every season and leave him off the list, who is your player of the season?"  That's how I did when I voted Alonso anyway. :laugh:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby DrPepe » Tue May 05, 2009 2:27 am

Bad Bob wrote:Don't get your knickers in a twist, lads.  I think most people, deep down, know it's Gerrard every time for questions like this.  But, this thread and these kinds of awards would get very boring indeed if we all just said Stevie every time.  So, I think a lot of people interpret the thread as saying "if we take it as given that Gerrard is our player of the season every season and leave him off the list, who is your player of the season?"  That's how I did when I voted Alonso anyway. :laugh:

i don't think our poster boys (gerrard, torres) have been fit for enough games to be considered tbh (27 and 17 starts , respectively)

this season has really been a 'triumph' for the supporting cast.
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Tue May 05, 2009 2:44 am

DrPepe wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Don't get your knickers in a twist, lads.  I think most people, deep down, know it's Gerrard every time for questions like this.  But, this thread and these kinds of awards would get very boring indeed if we all just said Stevie every time.  So, I think a lot of people interpret the thread as saying "if we take it as given that Gerrard is our player of the season every season and leave him off the list, who is your player of the season?"  That's how I did when I voted Alonso anyway. :laugh:

i don't think our poster boys (gerrard, torres) have been fit for enough games to be considered tbh (27 and 17 starts , respectively)

this season has really been a 'triumph' for the supporting cast.

He scored 21 in 33 starts... give me a break !
So what if someone else started more games ?!
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue May 05, 2009 3:16 am

You're right mate, should be Dirk.   :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Well Red » Tue May 05, 2009 3:45 am

???  having said all this, perhaps it's worth considering that Xabi hasn't chipped in with as many goals as we would perhaps have liked from a central midfielder playing the vast majority of league games at such high 'LFC player of the season' levels week-in week-out. Five in 41 games may have matched his best-ever season's haul for either Liverpool or Sociedad before that, but is it really good enough for a team that is trying to seriously challenge for the league, given the fact that our other regular-starting midfielder Mascherano plays in the anchor role and therefore shouldn't be relied upon in the same way that Xabi and the other attacking-minded players should be.

Given this, I'm changing my vote to the legendary Steven Gerrard.
Alonso is sublime when he's on song, and given the pre-season circumstances credit must be given to him for keeping his head and producing some excellent footballing displays - however, midfielders who are as good as him should bag more goals, and for a team which only has one Premier League-quality striker in Torres, we are reliant on goals from other areas.
THERE WILL BE LIFE AFTER TORRES:

Well Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue May 05, 2009 5:03 am

I feel like Gerrard has hardly played. Been too in and out of fitness to be the player of the season.  He is still our best player and he scored loads of goals, but it seems like Xabi is more there week in week out putting in consistent performances.
JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Tue May 05, 2009 5:10 am

Sabre wrote:P.S. I never like those polls of "best of season", but that's something that English and Americans love to do for some reason. For me it's difficult compare bananas and potatoes so when I read these polls I'm often wander in a bucle with no decission.

it gets really annoying when in basketball all the commentators only talk about who is going to win MVP, and they talk about it for the last 3 months non stop and nobody is even sure what MVP means.
JoeTerp

Postby Bretc » Tue May 05, 2009 7:04 am

Without a doubt, Alonso has my vote. His passing and vision are second to none in the premier league. He's intelligent, cool under pressure, has superb technique and nobody controls the pace of the game better than him. He's also the springboard for most of our attacks, without him, we need more time and effort to build up attacks. Together with Gerrard, Torres and Mascherano, Alonso is one of our most important players. I hope he stays at Liverpool forever and go on to become one of the Anfield legends.

Well done, Xabi.....
Bretc

Postby Festy » Tue May 05, 2009 7:07 am

People are not allowed to differ with your opinion ?  :eyebrow
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby Festy » Tue May 05, 2009 7:12 am

fidags wrote:Hi mates! i'm a Benfica supporter and a friend of me made a video named "Steven Gerrard - A Livin Legend" i hope you enjoy it! Ps: sorry my bad english

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3GBHua9rco

My team in england is Liverpool. Like Benfica fans in Portugal Liverpool fans are the best supporters in England! YNWA (:

Welcome mate. Great Video. You'll enjoy your stay here for sure.
It would also be great if you create a new thread HERE. More people will get you know there.  :)
ImageImageImage

Festy

Postby aCe' » Tue May 05, 2009 7:15 am

Festy wrote:

im sorry but how did my post imply that again ?
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Festy » Tue May 05, 2009 7:43 am

aCe' wrote:
Festy wrote:

im sorry but how did my post imply that again ?

It's very simple. Why can't 33 people think Alonso is our player of the season ? Why is it shocking ? Just because you don't think he's our player of the season ?

Not that difficult to understand. eh ?  :eyebrow
ImageImageImage

Festy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion