3. Kuyt
SuppleMonkey

Postby TheLad » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:36 am

As for the past few months: Yossi.
The whole season: Kuyt.
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:53 am

1. Kuyt - In his performances from last season - always had faith in him and will always stick up for someone who plays his heart out for the club - delighted he has signed a new contract and must be up there with Xabi has player of the season

2. Xabi - Best CM in the league on form this season bar none - the guy has been outstanding and showed he is ten times the player Barry is

3. Yossi - His last couple of months have been of top quality , unlocks the defences and has proved to be an important memeber of the squad.

Honorable mention to Masher - was off form after Olympics but has it back and more - the guy is a heartbeat of the team and will never ever stop . Insua - maturing to be a decent player for the club , Fabio - his delivery and marking of ronaldo and robben was key to big victories .

Only dissappoint this season for me was babel .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SuppleMonkey » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:56 am

Yes babel has been a dissapointment I agree.
SuppleMonkey

Postby Gerrard30391 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:57 am

Yossi for me. When we signed him i thought "is he really title winning material?" But, fair play to the lad, he has turned back in many peoples faces and proved to us all what a god player he is. As for the worst player, has to go to Lucas.
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:06 am

I think this is a really good thread, cheers John.

A three horse race for me. Alonso, Kuyt and Benayoun.

If we're talking about a player rediscovering form that we knew he had, then it's between Xabi and Yossi. I love Xabi as a player and like most was disspointed with his form last season. But he's really kicked on this season and has had some stormers for us this campaign. Yossi is a player I've always liked. I love the Garcia/Yossi type of player who with some quick feet, quick thought, or little turn can create something from nothing. He has excelled in the latter half of this season - but I maintain that he always had it in him - he just wasn't a regular when Robbie Keane was added to a front 4 which included torres, gerrard, reira, kuyt and babel - so he didn't get the games in a row he needed to be match sharp.Since Keane left - Yossi has been able to take that chance, and show his worth.

But for me the most improved player is Dirk Kuyt. Out thereon the right hand side. A scapegoat for many - including me- but he has provided us with many goals and assists this season. More than I though he was capable of. - However having said that I just really feel that right side of attack needs someone there who's even better than Dirk. Someone who can score more, create more, but perhaps be more creative - a bit more like a David Silva - or a benayoun for the right hand side.

I also think its worth mentioning our captain again. We all know what he is capable of, and we all know he is world class. - However in a thread talking about improved players, I think its worth noting that dispite Stevie's injury interupted season - he's got his best scoring rate EVER for the club.

So far this season Gerrard has scored 21 goals in 38 games in all competitions. This eclipses the 20 goals in 46 games last season, and the 22 in 49 games from the right of midfield in 05/06. So well done Stevie.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:13 am

I would have to say yossi as well like all I had my doubts not in skill wise but in being brave and strong but he has proven me wrong for little lad he puts more heart into his game then most.:cool:
Last edited by LegBarnes on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:20 am

Alonso has improved this season in terms of his form. As a player I don't think he's particularly improved (we always knew he was class), he's just had a pretty much injury free season and has been back to the form that he produced in his first season here when he was immense. He's also benefited from having outlets to aim for out wide which can express his passing game to the full.

Kuyt has been superb, especially in the past few weeks. Infact since he's signed his new contract he's almost gone up another level. I thought he was immense against Arsenal and he epitomises everything that a Liverpool player should be, even if he's not the most talented. Almost a modern day Ray Houghton but with more goals.

However I'm going for Benayoun, especially since Christmas when he's had more of a consistent run. I don't mean to play the "I know it all" card but I honestly knew he had it in him and I'm sure everyone on here did, especially after the way he totally tore us apart in the FA Cup final. I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that his performance that day was one of the best performances ever by an opposition player. He ripped us apart even though he was still in an average team and you could pretty much say that it was that performance that got him his move to us.

Funnily enough I still don't think he's reached those heights with us, which is testament to the lad who has been absolutely on fire lately.

:bowdown
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Reg » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:49 pm

I´m gonna buck the trend and say the greatest improvement has been Lucas Levia.

Before christmas I cringed when he came on, he was lightweight, didnt dominate his zone and seemed to lack tactical strength. In the last few weeks - just as Yossi haas come good - so has Lucas. H´s stood in for Stevie G during some very big games and he´s been much improved - even dependable. Stevie needs an understudy, Lucas came with strong credentials and is now starting to live upto them. I have hope that he will continue to develop next season into a regular fits XI player along the likes of Masher/kuyt. I will be ok if Lucas plays for the rest of the season - and thats a massive turnaround in my head!

Whata  difference a haircut makes.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Reg
Posted on April 24 2009,12:49

:oh:

Taxi for REG.  :D

Lucas has been a damn site better in his last few games since earlier in the season, but I still don't see enough to make him a regular. Fair play to him though if he proves otherwise.

For me I'll have to go with the majority here and say Benninoon. Since Christmas he's really come alive for us and has proven a match winner from the bench and from the start.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:19 pm

Depends if you base it on actual number of games a person has played or on the total number of games the club has played.
Can't help but thinking - and I'm not suggesting he is the overall winner - but the games I've seen Insua play, he has got better and better. That includes some of the non-first team games....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby heimdall » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Is this for the season or the last 10 games?
Are people forgetting that Kuyt has been distinctly sh1t until the last few games, talk about short memories.

Most improved player for me is probably Skittles or Bennayoun.

MVP is Stevie by miles and miles in front of Nando.

Young player of the season is Insua.
heimdall

Postby Reg » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:36 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:
Reg

Lucas has been a damn site better in his last few games since earlier in the season, but I still don't see enough to make him a regular. Fair play to him though if he proves otherwise.

For me I'll have to go with the majority here and say Benninoon. Since Christmas he's really come alive for us and has proven a match winner from the bench and from the start.

In terms of improvement, he´s come on miles in teh last 4-5 months - just as Yossi has.

In his way, its been a significant improvement.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:42 pm

heimdall wrote:Are people forgetting that Kuyt has been distinctly sh1t until the last few games, talk about short memories.

unbelievable
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:42 pm

Reg wrote:
RUSHIE#9 wrote:
Reg

In terms of improvement, he´s come on miles in teh last 4-5 months - just as Yossi has.

In his way, its been a significant improvement.

Still not convinced mate.

He's gone from being anonymous/sh.ite in every game to being average with the odd good performance (Newcastle away, Arsenal away, United away, PSV).

I'll concede he's improving, but he has a hell of a long way to improve still.  He gives away countless free kicks and I just don't think has the speed of thought to play in this league.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion