Most improved lfc player of the season - Who do you think?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Santa » Sun May 08, 2005 6:33 am

I'll rate Otsemobor above Josemi...

Steve Finnan definately had a very solid season. Most improved? ...well maybe not. He was already a very good player when we sign him from Fulham, so this was expected of him!
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Sun May 08, 2005 6:49 am

If you want to name the best player this season, Carra not doubt but most improved, I will go for Finnan. He didn't just play stellar defense but also very good running forward. How many times do you see him go forward and crossed? He crossed more than Nunez and Garcia combined. That should indicate something. As for Biscan, he played well in the CL but not in EPL. Traore is the same. So, if you want me to choose the most improved, Finnan is the man.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby champions of europe 2005 » Mon May 23, 2005 11:53 pm

well this i found quite tough, as there has been much improvement all round, but for me its a straight tie between biscan and traore, with finnan and risse close behind.

p.s is it just me or does cisse seem to be getting sharper with every shot???  could this year finaly be the end of the storm with the golden sky???  i know one thing, with raffa around, theres a buzz in the atmosphere again... this guy truly is looking top rate!!! :p
champions of europe 2005

Postby al_cud » Tue May 24, 2005 1:56 pm

its gota be without a dout steve finnan.

had a poor season last year and been alway one of the best  on the pitch this year.

and out played joe cole in the semi final :bowdown
al_cud

Postby dawson99 » Tue May 24, 2005 1:57 pm

finnan, traore and biscan... but finann wins it hands down

im glad coz i said last season that i rated him:D

did u lot realise that traore is out 3rd longest serving member?
madness eh
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lawrenson_sarah » Tue May 24, 2005 2:18 pm

Biscan has improved

Aswell as the legend Carragher
www.myspace.com/lawrenson_sarah

www.sarahlawrenson.piczo.com

He's scouse, he's sound. He'll T-w-a-t you with a pound Carragher - Carragher
lawrenson_sarah
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue May 24, 2005 2:34 pm

Carragher really has reached a whole new level of maturity. He has come from being a competent fullback who could fill in at centre back, too one of the best centre backs in the Premiership, I really had doubts about whether he could be a quality centre back, how wrong I was, he really is a priceless player for us. I would say he is our most improved player.

Finnan has also improved hugely, last year I thought that maybe he was out of his depth, but I am so happy he proved me wrong, he really has been Mr consistent, flawless defensively, one thing that he could improve in order to get to the next level is his crossing. When he was at Fulham he was famed for this, but since he has been here it has been average at best, most of his ball seem to just hang towards that far post, would like him to send it in with more pace and right in the danger area.

Troare has improved his concentration, Biscan has showed that he is a decent player when he gets to play in his best position. In my opinion Pongolle also showed a lot of signs that he was improving, his movement and passing were getting a lot better before he go injured.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue May 24, 2005 2:47 pm

Will never agree on Carragher ever.

I've seen this since day one. I've not really saw anything from Jamie this season that i haven't from the first time he played only alot more confidence. He's only now getting the credit he deserves. Everyone's simply jumping on the bandwagon now. The only thing he's really improved upon is his leadship qualities, as i said though, this is mainly down to confidence.

I do however agree with what you say about Sinama-Pongolle. If he learns to finish properly we've got a hell of a player. He's got good awareness, likes to link up, fast, good movement, works hard. I think the lads got a big future.
115-1073096938

Postby stmichael » Tue May 24, 2005 2:51 pm

This season, the quality of Carra's defending has improved, and his use of the ball from centre back is superb. He's never been able to beat a man and put in a cross, but in his new role he can pick side-foot passes to the midfield; he's even taken to rolling the ball with the sole of his boot. He lacks the kind of blistering pace we could possibly use at the heart of our defence, but he isn't slow either. Notice how he follows any striker he's marking into midfield if that striker drops deep; Carra gives them no time and space to turn. In many ways Carra is similar to John Terry - a no-nonsense player who will give no quarter.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue May 24, 2005 2:56 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Will never agree on Carragher ever.

I've seen this since day one. I've not really saw anything from Jamie this season that i haven't from the first time he played only alot more confidence. He's only now getting the credit he deserves. Everyone's simply jumping on the bandwagon now. The only thing he's really improved upon is his leadship qualities, as i said though, this is mainly down to confidence.

I do however agree with what you say about Sinama-Pongolle. If he learns to finish properly we've got a hell of a player. He's got good awareness, likes to link up, fast, good movement, works hard. I think the lads got a big future.

That confidence you talk about is more or less the same as me talking about maturity. He has always been a good defender but he has taken it to a new level while playing at centre back. If Gerrard leaves then we have the perfect captain, in all fairness Carragher really should be captain anyway but it would have created too much contravsy to change it.

I think the only way Pongolle will improve is by playing regularly in the Premiership, he wont be in training until October, so maybe a loan deal in the January transfer window will be on. The same should happen will Le Tallec, there isn't too much point in loaning them out in France or Belgium, while they will improve playing first team football, but we need to see whether they are good enough to play regularly in the Premiership.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue May 24, 2005 3:01 pm

This season, the quality of Carra's defending has improved, and his use of the ball from centre back is superb. He's never been able to beat a man and put in a cross, but in his new role he can pick side-foot passes to the midfield; he's even taken to rolling the ball with the sole of his boot. He lacks the kind of blistering pace we could possibly use at the heart of our defence, but he isn't slow either. Notice how he follows any striker he's marking into midfield if that striker drops deep; Carra gives them no time and space to turn. In many ways Carra is similar to John Terry - a no-nonsense player who will give no quarter.

This shows you havent watched Carragher over the years. He's always rolled the ball with he sole of his boot. His passing from the back is the same as it was years ago when he first played there, he uses the ball quite well, always has, always will, this comes from him playing in midfield. Its alot different when playing at full back. You only have half the options.

He's also nothing like John Terry. He's more similar to someone like Cannavaro or Henchoz. He's stopper rather than a commanding figure. He's more mobile than the likes of Terry and Hyypia (who are more similar).
115-1073096938

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue May 24, 2005 3:04 pm

I agree that his use of the ball has always been 'wise', he knows that he no Rio Ferdinand, so he just keeps it nice an economical, hardly ever loses it, and don't put people into difficult situations (like Traore). You have a problem when you have players like Silvestre who think they are ball players when their not, someone like him just needs to keep it simple.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 24, 2005 3:27 pm

Stu, lets agree to disagree. I always thought at full back Carra was nothing more than average , always seemed to make a visa application before he would cross the half way line,not one of the quickest and if truth be told often unsure about his positioning (probabaly why he didn't like getting forward) . I'm not suggesting he didn't have skill BUT lets face it he was never playing to his true potential . When he moved into central defence alongside  Sammi he turned from being a lump of coal into a diamond . He is now recognised as one of the top four central defenders in the premiership . Well done to the lad ,he gets my vote as LFC's most improved player .

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Tue May 24, 2005 3:40 pm

Agree with that and Stu if you can 100% honestly say he was class as right back then you saw something nobody else did.

For me however its Finnan
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue May 24, 2005 3:46 pm

He was class defensively.

Simple as that. He only ever got skinned to Henry and Pires in the years he played there. He marked players like Kewell, Duff, Beckham, Giggs, Robert, Overmars etc out of games.

He was never great going forward and still isnt. He just now has the confidence and determination and finally the backing of the crowd to know that when he tries to make something happen, if he :censored: it up he won't get slated for it.
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion