LIVERPOOL VS MACCABI HAIFA - Football discussion only please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:46 pm

First of all, can I point out that this is a FOOTBALL THREAD ONLY. Any posts with regards to politics will be deleted because that is for general discussion.

This thread is for build up to the game with regards to thoughts about possible line up's, formations etc. I personally can see us playing 4-4-2 and trying to put the tie to bed before the second leg, considering in the last two seasons we've actually lost the second leg but still progressed.

I don't really know a lot about our opponents but we should be far too strong for them and should progess quite comfortably. Bellamy could well have a field day as some of the Haifa fans last week were claiming that their side are particularly weak at the back.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby flipmode » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:23 pm

If they are that weak at back i can see Bellamy destroying them 3 - 0 Anfield, and 2 - 1 at the Warzone
Last edited by supersub on Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
flipmode
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:27 pm

Anyways back to football, I think Rafa will try to get a really good result at anfield so ofcourse he will field a really strong team with a 4-4-2 formation. I don't think pennant will start so Gerrard on the right and sissoko and alonso in the middle. Bellamy and Crouch will start, with Fowler an impact sub or maybe the other way around with bellamy and fowler starting and Crouch a plan B option.

Riise i think will start on the left wing and if Aurelio is fit he will play left back, but if he isn't then riise will play left back and we may see Gonzalez on the left wing. We have so many options.

Maccabi Haifa could surprise us, but I don't see it happening because we won't underestimate them.

so i think the line up should be:

Reina

finnan
hyppia
carragher
aurelio

gerrard
sissoko
alonso
riise

bellamy
fowler

I predict a 2-0
Last edited by supersub on Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreenred » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:29 pm

i've learned to take nothing for granted in european football but im sure we can take this tie for red, haifa are no way as strong as us and i agree the tie should be over after the 1st leg regardless were the return leg gets played.
thegreenred

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:41 pm

I dont think they will be pushovers. They have some big scalps to their name including the Mancs and PSG. I am pretty confident we will be too strong for them though, and I hope for 3-0. Teamwise I think we will play Fowler and Bellamy up front and save Crouch for the kicking match at Bramhall lane.
account deleted by request

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:05 pm

incidentally, for those who won't be there, the game is on itv1 next wednesday at 8pm.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Red H » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:13 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the telly.
Red H

Postby mr_israel » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:19 pm

any one know where i can watch the match betwen liverpool and maccabi haifa on the internet.
mr_israel

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:51 pm

mr_israel wrote:any one know where i can watch the match betwen liverpool and maccabi haifa on the internet.

They have the internet in sids cafe in peckham (london)....if thats any help.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:01 pm

We all thought AK Graz would be a walk over last year, we only got through by a goal and we lost at home. For this reason I think it is imperative that the senior players get a run out against Mainz. We cannot have any slip ups.

Maccabi Haifas CL record reads as follows:

Played:18
Wins:6
Lose:3
Draw:9
GF:32
GA:33
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:06 pm

be interesting to see if gerrard plays central or wide right actually. i'd be tempted to play gerrard and sissoko central with pennant wide right and gonzalez left. that way we'll be guaranteed to stretch them down both flanks. if things go tits up we can always bring xabi on to change the game.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Kash_Mountain » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:24 pm

I think we could play in a 4411 formation with Bellamy upfront and Fowler just behind or the other way round. However most likely to be 442.

If, as the Macabi fans are saying that their back 4 are weak then we should get enough goals to put the tie to bed. Having said that, sides like these do show a tendency to want to prove a point so we should'nt take the game lightly.

Liverpool FC 4  Macabi Haifa 0

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby GOAT » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:02 pm

Ill go for 3-0, bellamy 2, fowler. They shouldnt give us too many problems if we take the game seriously enough and play anything near our best.

But for some reason i feel urged to place my bets on us losing the qualifier, ending up in the UEFA cup and then going on to win the UEFA cup and the league..  :D  Just a strange feeling i have, you heard it here first  :D I doubt it though..we should get through this qualifier easily enough
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:07 pm

With the club doing all it can to finance the stadium then Rafa`s future spending plans could all hinge around the outcome of this tie and possible further progression in the competition, im hoping to see the team which will start the Haifa match all play tomorrow, these games arnt just training sessions anymore its time to get serious.

Reina

Finnan
Carra
Hyppia
Riise

Gonzales
Alonzo
Gerrard
Pennant

Bellamy
Fowler

ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Mark 23 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:45 pm

your joking aren't you, all Irsael seems to do is :censored: fight, I don't even know how Israel was classed as Europe.  I reckon the Urchins will run Hizbollah if they kick off.
Mark 23

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion