LIVERPOOL VS MACCABI HAIFA - Part 2

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kopite-Jud » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:49 am

GOAT wrote:
Kopite-Jud wrote:same old story every year big massive build up to the prem and then struck with injury after injury , why !! :(

Except last season

yes  :(  i think we have underachived in the league  except last season on another year wewould have had enough points to win the league .
Kopite-Jud

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:02 am

Well after four competitive games, the team looks like exactly what it is to me: new. They're all getting to know each other and the process of familiarisation is not an instant one. It's also being exascerbated by injuries to key players. There weren't any blatant howlers last night, but it's plainly not the well-oiled machine of last season, right now.

Despite my fundamental mistrust of it, I can live with squad rotation - particularly when it's used purely for the purpose of resting players. However, the one area of the team that always makes me nervous to see rotated is the back four. Defending is very much about awareness of, and communication with, team mates and therefore improves when players are used to each other. When the defensive systems used (offside trap & zonal defence of set pieces) are so dependant on these skills, changes to the defence will inevitably lead to wobbles. I guess we are now in a situation where Rafa will almost have to stick with the defence that finished the match as he's got no-one else. Despite both Agger and Aurelio showing great promise, neither is yet as tuned in to our systems as Carra and JAR. Playing together every match is the only way to remedy that deficiency quickly.

I think the lack of familiarity is applicable throughout the team, too. We're by no means sh#te (far from it, in fact), but it's clear that we haven't quite clicked yet. For example, both Gonzalez and Pennant have shown flashes of real quality, but last night we didn't seem to know how to use both of them at the same time. It was virtually all going down the left - especially in the first half. We need Xabi to keep switching the play from wing to wing in order to stretch teams and keep both the wingers right in the game. Once again, this will improve with time as we get used to playing with wingers, but it would help if we stuck with them to speed that process up.

Momo's injury will possibly ensure that now as I assume Gerrard will play in the middle. That's not a worry for most games, but I will be concerned if we have to face Chelsea without our usual defensive shield of Xabi and Big Mo. Gerrard is wasted when he has to limit his attacking instincts. Here's hoping the big fella is not seriously injured.

As for up front, I think Crouchinho showed what we missed at Bramall Lane. He was excellent and a big (no pun intended) factor in the largely comfortable first half. When he plays like that he almost becomes the fulcrum of the side's attacking play. He must be feeling the pressure of Kuyt's arrival and last night was reassuring in that it showed he's going to respond in the best possible way.

Overall, it was a tense affair and my feelings were largely of relief, rather than celebration at the end. Let's hope we can now focus on building familiarity within the squad for new players and tactics as we can't afford to let the process drag on if it impedes results.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby lfcwonderboy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:09 am

Find the goals at http://www.lfcland.tk/ also highlights and interviews.
lfcwonderboy

Postby The Red Baron » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:16 am

stmichael wrote:Well after four competitive games, the team looks like exactly what it is to me: new. They're all getting to know each other and the process of familiarisation is not an instant one. It's also being exascerbated by injuries to key players. There weren't any blatant howlers last night, but it's plainly not the well-oiled machine of last season, right now.

Despite my fundamental mistrust of it, I can live with squad rotation - particularly when it's used purely for the purpose of resting players. However, the one area of the team that always makes me nervous to see rotated is the back four. Defending is very much about awareness of, and communication with, team mates and therefore improves when players are used to each other. When the defensive systems used (offside trap & zonal defence of set pieces) are so dependant on these skills, changes to the defence will inevitably lead to wobbles. I guess we are now in a situation where Rafa will almost have to stick with the defence that finished the match as he's got no-one else. Despite both Agger and Aurelio showing great promise, neither is yet as tuned in to our systems as Carra and JAR. Playing together every match is the only way to remedy that deficiency quickly.

I think the lack of familiarity is applicable throughout the team, too. We're by no means sh#te (far from it, in fact), but it's clear that we haven't quite clicked yet. For example, both Gonzalez and Pennant have shown flashes of real quality, but last night we didn't seem to know how to use both of them at the same time. It was virtually all going down the left - especially in the first half. We need Xabi to keep switching the play from wing to wing in order to stretch teams and keep both the wingers right in the game. Once again, this will improve with time as we get used to playing with wingers, but it would help if we stuck with them to speed that process up.

Momo's injury will possibly ensure that now as I assume Gerrard will play in the middle. That's not a worry for most games, but I will be concerned if we have to face Chelsea without our usual defensive shield of Xabi and Big Mo. Gerrard is wasted when he has to limit his attacking instincts. Here's hoping the big fella is not seriously injured.

As for up front, I think Crouchinho showed what we missed at Bramall Lane. He was excellent and a big (no pun intended) factor in the largely comfortable first half. When he plays like that he almost becomes the fulcrum of the side's attacking play. He must be feeling the pressure of Kuyt's arrival and last night was reassuring in that it showed he's going to respond in the best possible way.

Overall, it was a tense affair and my feelings were largely of relief, rather than celebration at the end. Let's hope we can now focus on building familiarity within the squad for new players and tactics as we can't afford to let the process drag on if it impedes results.

Whats going on here, a sensible post.If you wernt a mod Id report you.Please delete this ST.Mike and lets get back to reading sh!te
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:22 pm

Daniel Agger , He looks very impressive (touch wood)
Kopite-Jud

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:00 pm

stmichael wrote:Well after four competitive games, the team looks like exactly what it is to me: new. They're all getting to know each other and the process of familiarisation is not an instant one. It's also being exascerbated by injuries to key players. There weren't any blatant howlers last night, but it's plainly not the well-oiled machine of last season, right now.

Good post St. Mick.  Once the lad's start gelling as a unit, we'll notice a big difference in the fluidity of our play.  These freak injuries may just be a blessing in disguise: you can't tinker without the personnel so we might see a fairly settled side playing 4-4-2, with a consistent back four, Stevie and Xabi in central midfield, two out-and-out wingers on the flanks and a variety of exciting but still developing strike partnerships up front.  Hopefully we start to build the momentum now and kick into form earlier than last season.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFCFan4Life » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:48 pm

For some reason, we seem to have problems year after year in the begining of the season when it comes to ''clicking'' with one another. I don't know what it is, but it takes us a while and by the time we get it together we're playing catch up. Last season we didn't wake up until October, and by then the title race was over for us.

What I can say though is that these injuries, will stop the rotation. I don't blame Rafa for rotation, but the only way we'll get fluidity in our system is if we keep the majority of the line up the same. So while Sissoko is out, we'll see a 4-4-2 formation probably for the comming games.

Against tougher teams (Chelsea for instance) we need to have Garcia and Kewell (who will return soon) on the flanks. The reason I say this is because Gonzalez and Pennant will have problems supporting the fullbacks when we're on the back foot.

Garcia despite being lightweight and what not, get's stuck in and tracks back whenever needed. Harry had problems doing that, that's why we called him a lazy fecker but he improved through out the season. I still believe that he'll make an important contribution to the team.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:30 pm

Precisely.  Couldn't have put it better myself, good post.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby LFCFan4Life » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Kash_Mountain wrote:

Oi, StMick couldn't had put it into better words himself that's why he has a tendency to copy and paste posts from other forums.  :D

So there's a very good chance that he didn't write that. In fact most of his posts, I end up reading twice at one point or another.  :D
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:59 pm

LFCFan4Life wrote:
Kash_Mountain wrote:

Oi, StMick couldn't had put it into better words himself that's why he has a tendency to copy and paste posts from other forums.  :D

So there's a very good chance that he didn't write that. In fact most of his posts, I end up reading twice at one point or another.  :D

What are you on about.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:20 pm

Kash_Mountain wrote:
LFCFan4Life wrote:
Kash_Mountain wrote:

What are you on about.

he means that many of mike's posts appear on RAWK  :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:38 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:
Kash_Mountain wrote:
LFCFan4Life wrote:
Kash_Mountain wrote:

What are you on about.

he means that many of mike's posts appear on RAWK  :D

Ah, I see.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby kazza » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:29 am

LFCFan4Life wrote:So there's a very good chance I am an idiot and don't know what I'm talking about, but that is the beauty of the internet as anyone can be who they want to be. (oh yeah, I need to get laid too)

You're telling me.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:49 am

kazza wrote:I think buying Kuyt was probably due to Raffa guaranteeing CL admittance to the board

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has revealed The Reds gambled by budgeting for UEFA Champions League qualification - even before edging out Maccabi Haifa.

The Reds progressed past Maccabi in Tuesday's third qualifying round tie, but not before a nervy ending to the second leg in Kiev - where a goal from the Israelis would have seen the tie go into extra time.

Parry confirmed that Rafa Benitez's summer spending had been financed on the assumption the club would progress into the tournament's group stage.

Benitez lavished over £20 million on landing notable signings Dirk Kuyt, Craig Bellamy and Jermaine Pennant, but Parry is of the opinion The Reds had to speculate to accumulate.

"It was clearly very important we got through. It's vital to be in the group stages," said Parry.

"There's much relief all round. It's not just about these two games, we earned it through the league last season.

"We seem to make a habit of doing it the hard way in the final qualifier. The last couple of seasons have been slightly nervy, but now we can look forward to the draw.

"We have to budget for getting through to the group stages, otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford to do what we do.

"If you budget for failure, you achieve it, so we budget for success."

Defender Sami Hyypia echoed Parry's relief at securing The Reds' involvement in Europe's premier club competition.

"Getting to the group stages is a relief and we know we are always under pressure and expected to go through to this stage every season," said Hyypia.

"We are happy we have qualified, it is the biggest club competition in the world and we must be in it every year, it is as simple as that."

The giant Finn also had words of praise for Daniel Agger, whom he partnered in central defence in Kiev.

Agger, who was signed by Benitez in last January's transfer window, has been slow to make an impact on Merseyside, but Hyypia sees a bright future ahead for the Dane.

"I think he has a big future in the game and he will be a major player for Liverpool in the Champions League for many seasons ahead," he added.

"He is working hard and learning every day and he can handle the big games, as we have seen these past couple of weeks."
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:51 am

That was a good post St Michael. AB, I don't like copying other posts without saying the source neither, but blaming someone "by default" isn't good neither. Check and then blame.

I have few things to comment after that match, except I think it's a matter of playing more matches together, we still don't defend the way we defended like year. Not talking about the defence, but all the team.

I didn't like a couple of decissions of Xabi ALonso in the first half, he shot at goal from long range in 2 occasions where there were better options, and I do think that the very long range freekicks should be for Gonzalez, who's excellent from those long ranges (4 goals out of 7 shots last season), even better than Alonso. I sense that sometimes who takes the shot is a matter of hierarchy, and the best option isn't taken always. Rafa should specify clearly who has to take the set pieces, not the players. GOnzalez BTW took some corners quite well.

We should have scores 2 goals in the first half, but we didn't and then we lacked some confidence.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion