CRYSTAL PALACE VS LIVERPOOL - all build up and reaction here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby supersub » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:03 am

I go back to the late 60's,with Alun Evans as my first hero.I'm sick to death of certain "fans" telling me that I have no right to criticise.If I feel that certain players aren't earning their obscene amounts of money for the pitiful attempts at playing football,then I see no valid reason why I should not be critical.In a few years down the line,when these mediocre players have hung up their boots and are counting their cars,houses,boats and giving the odd interview for the press about their 10 years as a footballer "working man",I'll still be trudging upto Anfield come rain or shine and whether we're good or sh!t.
    No trumped up blinkered ball-bag can tell me to stop being critical if there is something to criticise.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:05 am

agreed supersub
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:24 am

Gerrard again was the only person that actually played like a lfc player we should of came out looking to beat palace but no we got beat harry kewell had a better game so did morientes but still not up to standards hamann played absolutely terrible potter didnt see him much warnock not as good as usual but not terrible crouch what the hell is he doing in a liverpool shirt

my ratings

carson 6
raven 7 (well done)
hyppia 5 (expected more from him)
whitbread 5
warnock 6 (as i said didnt play to good but not terrible)

kewell 6 (better then usuall)
hamman 5 ( :no )
gerrard 8 (showed we miss our captain)
potter 5

morientes 6 (better then usuall)
crouch 4 ( disgusting freak )
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby FrankM » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:30 am

Now we're talking lads! There was me thinking that I was in a minority of one. Almost afraid to voice my opinions on totally unacceptable performances and totally unacceptable standards of player.

Guys like Lando or whatever his name is telling me I'm a glory hunter ( Started supporting Pool in 1964).

The facts are that we are doing the equivelent of going out with 8 players every match. It is impossible to win matches with 8 players and if we continue to do so we will be relegation material.

Saturdays match is approx quarter way through the season. IF we win, and its a big IF,we will have quarter of the points needed to stay up.

Its time to wake up and smell the cowsh!te. We cannot win games in the EPL with players like Traore, Josemi, Garcia, Zenden, Kewell. All underachievers.

This " We are Liverpool champions of Europe " cuts no ice with EPL teams that fight for every ball as if their life depends on it. We need players that will die for the shirt. As it stands we have very few of them.

If I feel like making a criticism I will make it. I know everyone wont be in argeement, but I feel I have the right to voice an opinion without being accused of theachery.
FrankM

Postby Judge » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:32 am

you have the right of opinion frankM, as long as it dont conflict with mine :D  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:32 am

I was born in 1985, so I can't really remember the glory years of the 80's. Nobody can call me a glory hunter as went through the 90's seeing an fa cup win in '92 and the coca-cola cup in 94, plus being a scouser, you're either red or a bluesh!te! For me, the treble was the best year as I thought we were truly back in business until Houllier decided to tear his team apart and then there was the magnificient European Cup win of this year. Too many false dawns I've seen hoping to see a team that once ripped sides apart.

That day will come sooner or later.  :;):
Last edited by wrighty (not mark!) on Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:34 am

FrankM wrote:Its time to wake up and smell the cowsh!te. We cannot win games in the EPL with players like Traore, Josemi, Garcia, Zenden, Kewell. All underachievers.

Garcia is a great player im sorry but he cant be critisized kewell is terrible but picked up against palace zenden he is doing well for us we are going through a rough patch and we shouldnt be and its not down to those players its down to the whole team
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby Judge » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:35 am

i'll send you a dvd for xmas wrighty, then you can see how it used to be :p ....oops, that should be in the sarcastic thread
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:41 am

Judge wrote:i'll send you a dvd for xmas wrighty, then you can see how it used to be :p ....oops, that should be in the sarcastic thread

so you're not gonna buy me one then  :sniffle
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:17 pm

I can see all of what you guys are saying. I'm a big supporter of Rafa Benitez and I think he deserves time. However, I accept that people can criticise him. The guy put himself in the hot seat and he has to take the rough with the smooth.

I also understand people's frustrations with Harry Kewell. He has been one of the biggest disappointments in living memory. He was brilliant in his first 4 or 5 years at Leeds - a genuinely world class player - and we got him for a song. He is on massive wages and has hugely disapointed, and his claims of being injured have stretched credibility and have tested people's patience. I can understand people being annoyed with him.

I can also understand people's frustrations with Nando Morientes. He cost us a few quid and is no doubt on good wages. He has been a massive disapointment.

I think it is fair and reasonable for people to voice their disapproval. However, some of the dissent is a bit out of order (Crouch is a freak, Crouch should be shot etc) and over the top. My own position is that I am concerned with what is happening and even though I am a big Benitez supporter, some of his decisions (such as bizzare team selection, the signing of Zenden, and an apparent inability to tactically adapt to some Premiership matches) have left me perplexed.

However, I think I am a realist and I don't think nothing positive can be gained by saying "This team isn't a patch on the teams of the 1970s" etc. Of course this team isn't up to scratch, thats no secret. I think some people are just being unrealistic by thinking that sacking the manager, selling all the player and buying loads of "good" players will sort the problem. If we sack the manager, which man has better credentials than Benitez, a guy with two Prima Liga medals, a European Cup, a UEFA Cup and a Super Cup? Ok, we sell all the player but who will buy Kewell? Who will buy Diao? Who will buy Cheyrou? We tried to get rid of Diao and Cheyrou in the past and it looks now like we simply have to cut our losses. There's no guarantee that the same won't happen with some of the current squad players. What "good" new player do we sign? Where is the £100million or so necessary to build a squad capable of challenging Chelsea if we rip everything up and start again?

Its just not that simple. We have taken a punt on Rafa Benitez, and he delivered the biggest club prize in the world in less than 12 months. What do we do now? Thank him for the Champions League but give him a kick in the :censored: and show him the door 6 months later?

If you're in for a penny, you're in for a pound. You take Rafa Benitez, warts and all. We cannot foist a Phil Thompson, Sammy Lee or a McDermott on him now. He came here to do things his way, and we have to let him do it his way. There was never a miracle cure to our problems, and a regeneration will take a number of seasons. Obviously a certain minimum standard - qualification for the champions league - must be demanded along the way, but Rafa Benitez deserves time.

We are only 8 league games into the season, we were knocked out of the League Cup before by poorer opposition than Palace even when times were good under Houllier, and we are doing very well in the Champions League.

I am concerned yes, but I refuse to push the panic button.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:34 pm

To be honest, I thought the first half was okay. We were creating chances and it was a mixture of good goalkeeping by Speroni and bad luck that kept out Morientes and Kewell efforts. Add to that some defensive howlers, and you have the recipe for disaster. Palace played okay, but they were there to be ripped apart, in the first half at least.

When we went 2-1 down, I thought okay, loads of time left, we should get back into this. But I was wrong. We didn't create much or look like doing so.

Okay it was 'only the Carling Cup' but it is a trophy, and a route into Europe, and at the moment I wouldn't bank on reaching Europe through a Premiership position.

Rafa needs to get a settled side, he should play his best XI and stick to it. But the problem is, he doesn't know what his best team is yet. Chelsea don't change often, unless forced to, but Rafa makes between 4-6 changes every week. This doesn't help. He should think, right, Cisse and Morientes are my best forwards, Kewell my best on the left, Alonso, Gerrard and Sissoko in central midfield, and then stick with them for 5-6 games. That and he seriously needs to shake up the squad, give them a kick up the :censored: and make it clear changes will be made in January if they do not improve.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:36 pm

Judge wrote:i'll send you a dvd for xmas wrighty, then you can see how it used to be :p ....oops, that should be in the sarcastic thread

DVD's weren't invented...you will have to supply him wwith a betamax video of what little exists on record and perhaps a radio city recording on 8 track. :rasp
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:11 pm

So far this season I've banged the drum about "in Rafa we trust" and how too many people suffer a huge knee-jerk reaction, I've preached patience and trust in the team but after last night i'm rapidly getting fed up. In the prem we're the second lowest-scoring team behind the bluesh!te, sitting at 13th and it's nearly November already. We're now out of the carling cup at the hands of a championship side despite playing a side which included Hyypia, Hamann, Gerrard and £13m worth of strike force

Quite frankly it's not good enough. In fact it's worse than that - it's f*ckin disgraceful. I am also going to pick out individuals who are partially to blame: Harry Kewell, the perennial underachiever - had another pointless game last night, gave the ball away regularly and had pretty much nothing to offer the team other than laziness. He should hang his head in shame and never walk the streets of Liverpool again. Darren Potter - I've said it before and I'll say it again, he is not and never will be Liverpool standard, in fact he is league 1 standard at best. Morientes - looked a bit more lively last night but needs to pull his thumb out of his erse and wise-up to the fact he's playing in the premiership, not laid-back la liga. Crouch - I wasn't a fan of buying him (certainly not for £7m anyway) but have been impressed with his play but as time goes on it looks like my first instincts were right. He just doesn't look like he'll ever score.

We are a f*ckin joke at the moment outside of the CL, thankfully neverton are doing even worse so they can't take the p!ss at least. The need for a good winger and a good centre back looks more and more obvious with every game and now it looks like we also need another striker, this time a striker who will actually bag a shed-load of goals not just another Crouch/Morientes who "holds the ball up well" or shows "intelligent play" or has "good vision". F*ck that, gimme a one-dimensional player who'll guarantee 20 goals a season (Owen anyone?)

I hate watching us at the moment, it's f*ckin horrible. C'mon Rafa - sort it out!   :angry:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:00 pm

supersub wrote:

DVD's weren't invented...you will have to supply him wwith a betamax video of what little exists on record and perhaps a radio city recording on 8 track. :rasp

ermmm.........ive uploaded them onto dvd from betamax  :rasp
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:01 pm

Woollyback wrote:Harry Kewell, the perennial underachiever - had another pointless game last night, gave the ball away regularly and had pretty much nothing to offer the team other than laziness.

what? kewell had a decent performance yesterday!!!! he should have scored 2 goals at least!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion