CRYSTAL PALACE VS LIVERPOOL - all build up and reaction here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Judge » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:07 pm

metalhead wrote:
Woollyback wrote:Harry Kewell, the perennial underachiever - had another pointless game last night, gave the ball away regularly and had pretty much nothing to offer the team other than laziness.

what? kewell had a decent performance yesterday!!!! he should have scored 2 goals at least!

kewell should have..............yes..............should have done better
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:15 pm

metalhead wrote:
Woollyback wrote:Harry Kewell, the perennial underachiever - had another pointless game last night, gave the ball away regularly and had pretty much nothing to offer the team other than laziness.

what? kewell had a decent performance yesterday!!!! he should have scored 2 goals at least!

he SHOULD but he DIDN'T - that will go on his epitaph
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:26 pm

Steven Gerrard reflected on Liverpool's poor performance at Crystal Palace last night and declared: "We all owe the fans an apology." 
Gerrard netted his 50th goal for the Reds during the 2-1 defeat at Selhurst Park, but that statistic came as no consolation to the Reds' skipper who admitted the overall performance wasn't good enough for the club.

"That kind of performance is just not acceptable for Liverpool Football Club," he said.

"A lot of our fans have paid a lot of money to see that and what they saw just wasn't good enough. We've got to say sorry to them for that.

"People can go on about the first half chances all they like, but that's not enough for us. We've got to perform for 90 minutes.

"There's got to be a big reaction to this now. We've all got to play for the shirt and show how much it means to play for this club.

"It's the players who have to accept responsibility in this situation. We have to take the blame."

Now that is the kind of response that i am looking for when are Captain is asked about a performance like that, Spot on Stevie and Rafa should take note here and should tell it like it is. Looking for excuses and saying we played well in the 1st half isnt good enough, no matter how we play a poor performance should still be able to see us beat the likes of Crystal Palace.

Stevie G is spot on again when he says its about time people realised what it means to wear the red of Liverpool cos some of these players, the ay they are performing at the moment, dont look worthy of wearing any shirt of a club in the top flight, never mind Liverpool.

You can take losing if there is fight,spirit and a battle till the death but we lacked any passion and any desire to win that game after going behind last night.

Lets hope a lesson has been learnt here.......or we could all be in for a bigger shock come Saturday Evening if anyone thinks West Ham arnt gonna come here with a fighting spirit and a bit of quality, cos they have that and that all you seem to need to get a result against us these days.

Time to get fuc*king nasty red men and putting teams in there fu*king place when they face us.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:34 pm

I think last nights performance confirmed that at the moment at least, our youngsters ain't special either. Whitbread doesn't have it for me, I said that a couple of weeks back and lots of people on here jumped to his defence but I stick with my original call. If we're waiting form Zak to develop into a Premiership defender we'd better get ourselves a book and a deckchair because it's going to be a long wait.
Similarly Darren Potter was disappointing last night and failed to impose himself. I wonder whether a fella who can play wide-right has ever had a better opportunuity than the one available at Liverpool last night but he didn't take it.
Finally Steven Warnock who does admittedly posess more in the way of genuine potential didn't have one of his better games defensively. I haven't seen the goals on the telly yet but on first look, him and Whitbread looked to me as if they could just about share the blame out equally.
Please be sure I am not blaming the young fellas for the defeat. There are people further up the food-chain who are much more culpable. I'm merely commenting that any notion that Zak can provide CB cover for any length of time is well wide in my view.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:37 pm

Judge wrote:
metalhead wrote:

Judge - you have to admit, Kewell wasn't the worst Liverpool player on the pitch! Ok, he shirked a few tackles but, I near sh1t myself when Traore came on, and immediately gave away a free kick on the edge of the box!
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mitch22 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:47 pm

Proper pi.ssed me off watchin them yesterday.Half the players seem to have no aggression, dont like the system of play either, its very well saying we created lots of opportunities and played well for a certain amount of time .But simple as if you struggle to score dont expect to win.
Patience has ran out with Crouch and Morientes, not jumping on a band wagon slaggin them off . But I wouldnt of bought Crouch anyway. What does he offer hieght? ??? hasnt exactly got the physical attacking power like Drunken Ferguson or Shearer, A good touch?? yeah but he hasnt got the speed to do one twos or attacking runs.When is he going to score???
Liverpool are magic Everton are ..... :censored:
mitch22

Postby FrankM » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:47 pm

bigmick wrote:Finally Steven Warnock who does admittedly posess more in the way of genuine potential didn't have one of his better games defensively. I haven't seen the goals on the telly yet but on first look, him and Whitbread looked to me as if they could just about share the blame out equally.

Cross for the goal came from our right side so not Warnock's fault. Their attack was det up by a perfect pass to their midfielder from Kewell.

Second goal a result of ar*eing about on the edge of our box when it should have been cleared. Ball played in when defenders were moving out. Thought Zak was poor last night. Not so sure that Warnock can be blamed. Either way he is far superior to Traore who is a Josemi waiting to happen.
FrankM

Postby bigmick » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:00 pm

Take what you say on board and all that Frank, but my impression was for the first goal that Freedman pulled off the shoulder of (I think) Whitbread who was caught napping. Ball gets played in from Palace left (good ball too I think) and Freedman scores. I quite like to see full-backs tucking in though when the ball is on the opposite flank and I'm not sure where warnock was. If he'd have tucked in on the shoulder of Whitbread it makes the pass almost impossible.
He (Warnock) complained of a push after the second goal which I didn't see but once again a ball played to the back stick from the left hand side of Palace's attack found a guy who looked to be in absolute acres to me.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby FrankM » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:12 pm

bigmick wrote:He (Warnock) complained of a push after the second goal which I didn't see but once again a ball played to the back stick from the left hand side of Palace's attack found a guy who looked to be in absolute acres to me.

He was probably tucked in on the shoulder of Whitbread.

Incidentally does anyone know why Crouch was booed throughout the game?

"Because he was :censored:" is not an acceptable answer.
FrankM

Postby Judge » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:19 pm

hawkmoon269 wrote:
Judge wrote:
metalhead wrote:

Judge - you have to admit, Kewell wasn't the worst Liverpool player on the pitch! Ok, he shirked a few tackles but, I near sh1t myself when Traore came on, and immediately gave away a free kick on the edge of the box!

i said something similar hawky in another thread hours ago
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:25 pm

FrankM wrote:He was probably tucked in on the shoulder of Whitbread.

Incidentally does anyone know why Crouch was booed throughout the game?

The perennial problem of the full-back. When to tuck and when to push wide. The best ones call it right almost every time.
On Crouch, he was sent off there last season playing for Southampton. Their fans were actually shouting "Freeeeeeaaaak" every time he got the ball, not booing. It seemed to effect the already fragile confidence of the big man and he was largely anonimous. I do think he's going to have to look at his game. He isn't going to magically find a yard of pace but he needs to bring some agression and nastiness to his game. Being booed and abused is one of the few unfortunate side issues you have to put up with when you are being paid upwards of 2 million pounds per year.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby FrankM » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:23 pm

bigmick wrote:Being booed and abused is one of the few unfortunate side issues you have to put up with when you are being paid upwards of 2 million pounds per year.

Agreed. There were times last night when I thought he was going to burst into tears
FrankM

Postby Dundalk » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:25 pm

He is with a a big club now and the spotlight is going to be on him an awful lot more this year. Since the England fans booed him when he came on against Poland that seems to have opened the floodgates for all away fans in the EPL to have a go at him.

If this is the case and he lets it affect him then we could have a 7 million quid problem on our hands, he has never faced this before. He was a big fish in a small pond at the Saints but now it that has all changed around now.

Our next away game is Villa his old club and if their fans are at it too then he could be in for a long season.

Watch this space......................
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:28 am

I think the abuse Crouch got may have been something to do with him being picked for England ahead of Andy Johnson.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheoRacle » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:42 am

Maybe Crouch needs to toughen up mentally and physically.  I say lock up in the gym and don't let him out until he's put on at least 15 kilos of muscle!  :buttrock
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion