FC PORTO VS LIVERPOOL 18th Sept - All Pre Match discussions here....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby roberto green » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:31 pm

By reading most of the comments you think we had been defeated, yes we were pis poor but we played our hardest game of the group and got a result, I think we will have a good season as long as rafa starts playing our best players every game.:)
roberto green

Postby roberto green » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:33 pm

by
roberto green

Postby roberto green » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:35 pm

By reading most of the comments you think we had been defeated tonight, yes we were pis poor but we got a result in our hardest game of the group, I see no problems in europe again, Rafa just needs to play his best team in the prem.:)
roberto green

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:36 pm

In Gerrards defence I would suggest that he has probably done very little training since he broke his toe, even though he has played a few games since for Liverpool and England he has hardly been at his best.
account deleted by request

Postby roberto green » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:36 pm

dunno what happened there!!!!!!!!!!
roberto green

Postby only me » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:41 pm

Yes Torres wasn't serviced so try Benayoun which was brought exactly for such tasks ,Kuyt wasn't serviced neither but he made his presence and impact on the game.

I can't accept an argument which says yeh our starting lineup plays :censored: but our subs can't help neither ,so why have them anyway?

Subs are the major if not the only weapon a coach has during a game ,so why not use it?
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby AB's Red Army » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:45 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:So what you are saying is that if Steven isnt the best player on the pitch, and against decent players, then he isnt doing enough ?

Are there any players in the world that are ?
I was countering your argument despite the fact that i thought it was a pointless one, as Steven is part of a team...and provided he performs well (not the best on the pitch every game) then he is doing his job.
Jumping on his back when we have just picked up a point away from home (in our most difficult away group fixture) helps nobody, added to the fact that this was his first start since Chelsea.

We all know what he can do, and that over the course of the season he will be one of the most consistent performers we have, so the OTT reaction from yourself and possibly others is imo uncalled fo and more than a little embarassing.

When was the last time that Steven Gerrard put in  excellent performances consistently in the last couple of months?

Let's look at the list of games you provided from last season:
- He scored 2 goals against Middlesbrough in April
- He scored 1 goal against PSV in March
- He scored 1 goal against Sheffield in January or February
- He scored 1 goal against Man City in November or December.

There is no consistency in that list. He put in a good performance here and there. How many good performances did he put in against difficult sides that year?

Even against decent opposition he went on missing, he did not play like a captain of a football club, let alone Liverpool football club. There was no signs of leadership consistently last season.

The game against Villa was the first time in a long time that I saw him do what he did in 05/06.

He is the captain of this football club. His job is to provide leadership along with playing well. He did very little of the latter last season compared to what he's capable and what he has done in the past.

It's not an OTT reaction, I've had this opinion for over a year now.
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby AB's Red Army » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:51 pm

Yes Torres wasn't serviced so try Benayoun which was brought exactly for such tasks ,Kuyt wasn't serviced neither but he made his presence and impact on the game.

For Benayoun to be effective, he has to get the ball and he has to drift inside and play in the center.

So as much as there was no service to our strikers, there was very little to our wingers either. Benayoun would had not made a difference in a game where we lacked any passing fluency,movement,intelligence and so on and so forth.

We would have to have 3 or 4 players playing decently for him to make an impact, but that wasn't the case. Only Kuyt was playing well.

Kuyt made his presence visible because he was running everywhere, not because he was getting excellent service. He got a good flick on by a central defender one time in the entire game and he scored, thankfully.

Torres was under pressure more so because Porto were marking him very well.

Benayoun who has yet to have a good game would have made no difference. Neither would have Voronin.

I can guarantee that had those changes taken place and the result stayed the same or worse, there would had been people calling for Rafa's head because he didn't allow Torres to play for the entire match.

The fact is that you are the only one who holds this opinion that Benitez froze.
AB's Red Army

Postby The Grudge » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:57 pm

AB's Red Army wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:So what you are saying is that if Steven isnt the best player on the pitch, and against decent players, then he isnt doing enough ?

Are there any players in the world that are ?
I was countering your argument despite the fact that i thought it was a pointless one, as Steven is part of a team...and provided he performs well (not the best on the pitch every game) then he is doing his job.
Jumping on his back when we have just picked up a point away from home (in our most difficult away group fixture) helps nobody, added to the fact that this was his first start since Chelsea.

We all know what he can do, and that over the course of the season he will be one of the most consistent performers we have, so the OTT reaction from yourself and possibly others is imo uncalled fo and more than a little embarassing.

When was the last time that Steven Gerrard put in  excellent performances consistently in the last couple of months?

Let's look at the list of games you provided from last season:
- He scored 2 goals against Middlesbrough in April
- He scored 1 goal against PSV in March
- He scored 1 goal against Sheffield in January or February
- He scored 1 goal against Man City in November or December.

There is no consistency in that list. He put in a good performance here and there. How many good performances did he put in against difficult sides that year?

Even against decent opposition he went on missing, he did not play like a captain of a football club, let alone Liverpool football club. There was no signs of leadership consistently last season.

The game against Villa was the first time in a long time that I saw him do what he did in 05/06.

He is the captain of this football club. His job is to provide leadership along with playing well. He did very little of the latter last season compared to what he's capable and what he has done in the past.

It's not an OTT reaction, I've had this opinion for over a year now.

And thats probably why for over a year you have been banned you little tw.at!!

You consistantly talk shi.te...you wanna make sense??

Gerrards primary job is to create and create he has done time and time again...You are judging a central midfielder on goals...IDIOT!
Just because he had a bad game tonight does not make him sh'it!
The Grudge

Postby only me » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:01 am

It's not a contest it's just an opinion.

Still think Rafa "played" a below then avarage game.

Good Result better performance next time..
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby AB's Red Army » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:03 am

Get your facts straight. I was never banned on this forum. You can verify that with the administrator or any other moderators.

Gerrards primary job is to create and create he has done time and time again...You are judging a central midfielder on goals...IDIOT!

Point out to me where I said that he was poor because he wasn't scoring goals.

I made it clear that he showed very little leadership last season. Never did I say that he didn't score enough or create enough. You don't have to do either to play good in the center of the park.

He wasn't playing well consistently last season. That is a fact. I watched every game in where he played and there was no consistency in his performances. He would have one good game and disappear in the following five.

Of course the excuse of him being played on the right was used by most Liverpool fans and pundits alike. Despite the fact that the year before, he was sensational in that same position and had the best season of his career.

Thirdly, I didn't say that he as a player was :censored:. You're an idiot for stating that I did, as everything that I have said is crystal clear. He was poor tonight.

He was poor by his standards for much of the season last year.

If you still can't comprehend this after I've practically spelled it out, you can go forth and multiply. I don't have time for ignorance.
AB's Red Army

Postby The Grudge » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:17 am

AB's Red Army wrote:

Get your facts straight. I was never banned on this forum. You can verify that with the administrator or any other moderators.

Point out to me where I said that he was poor because he wasn't scoring goals.

I made it clear that he showed very little leadership last season. Never did I say that he didn't score enough or create enough. You don't have to do either to play good in the center of the park.

He wasn't playing well consistently last season. That is a fact. I watched every game in where he played and there was no consistency in his performances. He would have one good game and disappear in the following five.

Of course the excuse of him being played on the right was used by most Liverpool fans and pundits alike. Despite the fact that the year before, he was sensational in that same position and had the best season of his career.

Thirdly, I didn't say that he as a player was :censored:. You're an idiot for stating that I did, as everything that I have said is crystal clear. He was poor tonight.

He was poor by his standards for much of the season last year.

If you still can't comprehend this after I've practically spelled it out, you can go forth and multiply. I don't have time for ignorance.

So what are you saying then smart @rse??Is Gerrard not good enough for LFC?

Where is your point going?
What is the point of your point?

We can all see that Gerrard was not tonight and has not been 100% great all season...So are you saying hes sh.it or just surplus to requirement?

Or just not up to what you expect?One man cannot drive a team fella??

What do you MEAN??
The Grudge

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:18 am

only me wrote:It's not a contest it's just an opinion.

Still think Rafa "played" a below then avarage game.

Good Result better performance next time..

FFS the man can't win, can he?

"Play Torres! Play Pennant! Play Babel! Play Gerrard! Play Mascherano!"

Well he did, didn't he? And what happened? Our worst performance of the f*cking season.

I have to ask this - I just HAVE to:

Who STILL thinks Mascherano is better than, and should play instead of, Alonso? Really? Who?

In reality, if you put your name forward, you're a f*cking fool.

Actually no, because, basically, even an idiot would grasp the f*cking ridiculously simple concept that Xabi is our main man in defensive midfield, despite what a bunch of clueless tarting bellends have to say. It was his absence that caused our lack of fluency, as we had no-one in that team who had the where-with-all to stick a foot on the ball, look up, and pick a pressure-easing pass (or a defense-splitting one, for that matter).

Gerrard played like a leper, Mascher ran around like a blue-a*sed fly without any reward whatsoever, and the rest of the team (with the exception of Kuyt, Arbeloa and Hyypia) were just various shades of sh*t from start to finish.

Anyone who lambasts Sami for the peno is a bit daft really - you can't expect him to catch a player twice as fast as him. And throughout the rest of the game, the lad was fecking faultless.

Arbeloa did well to say that Babel often left him exposed to Quaresma (who for all his trickery and guile, didn't actually cause us any damage).

And Kuyt? Well Kuyt was a fecking lion today. The lad's a legend, and anyone who questions his place int he squad needs shooting.

The end.
Last edited by Leonmc0708 on Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AB's Red Army » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:24 am

So what are you saying then smart @rse??Is Gerrard not good enough for LFC?

How many days did you miss in primary school? Is it that difficult to read and comprehend what was written.

You're making ridiculous assumptions based on nothing.

Where have I suggested that he wasn't good enough for this club? Please elaborate.

He had the best season of his illustrious career two seasons ago. That was followed by a season of inconsistency and ineffectiveness. When you compare his that great season and the years before to that of last year, it was sub-standard and poor for a player of his caliber and for a Liverpool captain.

His performance, or should I say disappearance against Porto was reminiscent of what he produced on more than one occasion last year.

He made a fine start to this season with performances against Aston Villa and Chelsea that we usually associate with Steven Gerrard. This was not one of them and I hope that he goes back to the way that he played 2 seasons ago.

Countless times last season his head was first to drop when things weren't going our way and he's the CAPTAIN. Countless times last season he was missing in the big games in our season. He didn't stamp his authority nearly as much as he used to, if any at all.

That's what I'm saying. That this was one of many disappointing games that he's had in the last 12 months. He was on the right track in our opening games to this season.

He's gone a step back tonight, hopefully he'll get back where he was.
AB's Red Army

Postby Geo » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:25 am

yes AB he was poor by his standards by last season but still carried liverpool in many games. Combine a long season going up the champs leage final and then having no break at a draining world cup, it is to be expected that gerrard may of not been at his best every game last season. This season he came out looking refreshsed and hungary, just look at the confidence he showed at villa to take that free kick. Up until the broken toe i think he had been brilliant for us in a brilliantly performing team and to single stevie out for poor performance last night is down right mad. cut the guy some slack AB, i dont know how you can say stevie does not provide leadership just look at the team performances when he is and isnt playing, there is a remarkable difference.
Geo

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion