FC PORTO VS LIVERPOOL 18th Sept - All Pre Match discussions here....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:25 am

The Grudge wrote:
AB's Red Army wrote:
So what are you saying then smart @rse??Is Gerrard not good enough for LFC?

How many days did you miss in primary school? Is it that difficult to read and comprehend what was written.

You're making ridiculous assumptions based on nothing.

Where have I suggested that he wasn't good enough for this club? Please elaborate.

He had the best season of his illustrious career two seasons ago. That was followed by a season of inconsistency and ineffectiveness. When you compare his that great season and the years before to that of last year, it was sub-standard and poor for a player of his caliber and for a Liverpool captain.

His performance, or should I say disappearance against Porto was reminiscent of what he produced on more than one occasion last year.

He made a fine start to this season with performances against Aston Villa and Chelsea that we usually associate with Steven Gerrard. This was not one of them and I hope that he goes back to the way that he played 2 seasons ago.

Countless times last season his head was first to drop when things weren't going our way and he's the CAPTAIN. Countless times last season he was missing in the big games in our season. He didn't stamp his authority nearly as much as he used to, if any at all.

That's what I'm saying. That this was one of many disappointing games that he's had in the last 12 months. He was on the right track in our opening games to this season.

He's gone a step back tonight, hopefully he'll get back where he was.

My problem is that you seem to single out Gerrard as if our poor performance was all his fault!

You did'nt seem to notice that Babel on the left did very little?Or was his performance so bad you did not notice him atal?
Pennant was ambitious in looking like he wanted to start a row with our opponents or the ref rather than play football.
Mascherano was unlike himself poor....It would have been a lot easier to say that tonight our whole midfield did not function together rather than single out our captain.

What exactly do you want?
Gerrard to inspire them every time?The bottom line is fella that even the BEST have a bad day or two once in a while!The fact that you seem to think you are clever just because you are sad and bored enough to pick out every game that Gerrard was not WORLD CLASS in over the last while is nothing short of pathetic!

If your gonna try and victimise,pick on a footballer or even have an arguement....Try picking on one that deserves it not one that has pulled us out time and time again when the chips are down with his pure talent,drive,ambition and love for all things RED!!

he seems to expect the gerrard that "gets to the end of his own cross" everygame... now that is gerrard's STANDARD for him...

for me I didn't see any problem with gerrard's performance last season... He stuck more to his role than his previous seasons where he tried to do everything... and he did it more consistently and better than any other player on our squad...
to say that he was below his standard and was inconsistent last season is a bit too narrow-minded...

he played poorly against porto... yes... there is no question about that but gerrard is far from the issue here...  players like ronaldinho and kaka also have their off games... to say that he's been playing like this for the last 12 months is utter :censored:...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:40 am

Ciggy wrote:
AB's Red Army wrote:
so what... now we're not letting him have an off day just because he's been tremendous for us almost every game?

In the last 12 months I can count on my fingers when he's played up to his level. He has been no where near his standards bar the Chelsea game and Villa game he's played this season.

When he doesn't play well he should be criticized like every other player. More so because he is the captain.

My mother thinks otherwise my mother think all our players are intimidated by him.
There for they play better and take their own inicitive when he isnt playing.
That I would agree on but saturday against Portsmouth was dreadful.  :sniffle

My dad said the exact same thing tonight, i told him to fu'ck off.
RedRoots

Postby AB's Red Army » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:42 am

maguskwt wrote:

he seems to expect the gerrard that "gets to the end of his own cross" everygame... now that is gerrard's STANDARD for him...

Please don't put words in my mouth and try to belittle me. We aren't discussing just any ordinary player here. His performances get more attention due to the fact that he's a world class player and he's the captain.

I expect all Liverpool players to perform as best as they can, and I expect even more from a Liverpool captain. Steven Gerrard has done both of those things many times, but not last season.

He was not consistently influential in games. He was not stamping his authority in games. He was not leading by example.

Simply he was not doing the things well that he did the year before.

for me I didn't see any problem with gerrard's performance last season... He stuck more to his role than his previous seasons where he tried to do everything... and he did it more consistently and better than any other player on our squad...

Each to his own. As far as I know, I remember seeing an excellent Gerrard on the right hand side 2 seasons ago. He was one of the best players in the world that season in terms of form. Last season he was no where near that form.

He made no real significance in crucial games. He often was not a threat in games, hence why he only scored in 5 league games. There was less drive in his game. He had his good games here and there, but he was vastly inconsistent.

And once again I did not say that he played poor like tonight in every game. I said that there were more than one game last season where he played like this, and was inconsistent in his performances. He didn't have any string of good performances as much as he did in previous years.

To put it quite frankly and clearly, he did not play up to the standards of a Steven Gerrard that we all know. He did not do enough for a Liverpool captain, something that he has always done before.

And he wasn't our most consistent performer. Our most consistent performers last season were defenders. [Finnan,Carragher and Agger]. From the first kick to the season last year until the end, Steve Finnan was the most consistent performer imo.

If you look at the performances he put in against Aston Villa and Chelsea this year, there is a vast difference to the way he played last season.

There was visible hunger,threat,passion in his game in the 2 out of the 4 games that he's played for us.
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:46 am

i hve a feeling Liverpool aint gonna do well in the ECL this season but it doesnt matter really. my feelings are not based on the result last night. i didnt even bother to watch the match and im not concerned if we lose. its just that the league is way more important and the excitement of seeing at at the top makes me wish so bad we can stay there. its been an exciting start to the season in the league and im realy hoping this could be a special year. i wont mind another ECL final but i think we already proved enough to the rest of europe we are an awesome team. just that in the league people always talk about other teams but not us. we've been a cup team for too long. let the cups be the bonus while the league shall be the real deal. i didnt watch the match last night but judging from all the posts i see we played horribly. i honestly dont care. on the bright side, if we had played the same way last season would be have even gotten a point out of it?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby mungi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:47 am

its good we got a point considering. dont panick yet.
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kewell2Dominate » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:35 am

I know we are whingeing about a point but sometimes when you play bad and hang on for a point you take it. You can't change the way you played after the result and the point you earned what counts. It p**ses me off when we play well and either draw or lose because we can't score. This year we have started well and won those games we dominated for a change. When we play badly we still need to jag or draw or win like man u or chelski do.
Kewell2Dominate

Postby Ciggy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:38 am

See Mourinho's legacy was still intact. The diving, feigning tw@tos.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:23 am

To be honest we was very lucky to get the result we did. Finnan had a howler which isnt like him. Arbeloa seemed to weak on the left side. Babel wasnt in the game much apart from at the end. Gerrard didnt get much time on the ball due to sh!te passes and a good defending by porto. Mascherano for me did his job although he did put a few wayward passes which lead to attacks. Pennant for the last two games hasnt played like he did against the likes of Villa Chelsea Sunderland and Derby which shows he isnt consistent. Torres didnt get alot of time on the ball due to a good defence. Kuyt worked his fookin socks off as usual and scored the goal for us so hes my man of the match as he is the only one who deserves it

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Dutchsky » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:27 am

peewee wrote: Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez:

"We were really very bad in that first half, there are no excuses.

"We gave the ball away too easily and made too many mistakes.

"I've no complaints about the Pennant decision. Hopefully he'll learn from this experience."

he must have missed the second half if he only thought we were bad in the first half

:D

Man, I wish our nationalside coach Van Basten was as honest as Benitez.
Dutchsky

Postby mattylfc » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:52 am

I find it really hard to beleive that people can come on here and single out individual performances.  Last night we played very poor as a team, it just didnt happen for us. Bar one or two players, no-one was god enough.

You can expect the odd player to have an off day but i dont think i have seen so many below-par performances in one game.  Right from the K.O we were very sloppy and lacked composure all over the park. Nothing seemed to click for us and our game plan went out of the window when we started so badly.

Gerrard was very quiet last night but i will never understand why this "AB's Red Army" fella has dedicated so much of his time to rip his performances apart over the past year or so.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and i agree that no player is beyond criticism but come on mate, lets keep things in perspective here.  Comments such as Gerrard is inconsistant, not stamping his authority on games and not leading by example are just unbelievable. I could argue with you all day to be honest but i really dont think its worth it as i would rather talk about last nights game.

I think the main positive to take from the game is the fact that we showed charachter and dug out a result with 10 men.  Porto are an ok team and at home would have fancied their chances. Lets be honest though, how many times did they threaten us. They didnt even trouble us when we had 10 men.

Rafa talked about preparation before the game and i think that this played a major part in our performance. We looked like we hadnt played together for a while. A point away aganist supposedly our strongest team though is a decent result, cant see us having any problems qualifying.

Things must and will improve.
mattylfc

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:52 am

mungi wrote:its good we got a point considering. dont panick yet.

don't panic     :D 

German:  "whats your name?"
Captain manwairing:  "Don't tell him Pike"

:D

comedy genius
112-1077774096

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:09 am

Opened a post match discussion thread people.

POST Match Discussion
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion