FC PORTO VS LIVERPOOL 18th Sept - All Pre Match discussions here....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:26 am

XABI FROM THE HALF WAY LINE XABI FROM THE HALF WAY LINE XABI FROM THE HALF WAY LINE

Ripped off from spurs supporters song but you get my gist. Xabi has a one ability that that mascherano and sissoko seem to lack and that is good all round passing ability.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AB's Red Army » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:26 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
only me wrote:It's not a contest it's just an opinion.

Still think Rafa "played" a below then avarage game.

Good Result better performance next time..

FFS the man can't win, can he?

"Play Torres! Play Pennant! Play Babel! Play Gerrard! Play Mascherano!"

Well he did, didn't he? And what happened? Our worst performance of the f*cking season.

I have to ask this - I just HAVE to:

Who STILL thinks Mascherano is better than, and should play instead of, Alonso? Really? Who?

In reality, if you put your name forward, you're a f*cking retard.

Actually no, because, basically, even a spastic would grasp the f*cking ridiculously simple concept that Xabi is our main man in defensive midfield, despite what a bunch of clueless tarting bellends have to say. It was his absence that caused our lack of fluency, as we had no-one in that team who had the where-with-all to stick a foot on the ball, look up, and pick a pressure-easing pass (or a defense-splitting one, for that matter).

Gerrard played like a leper, Mascher ran around like a blue-a*sed fly without any reward whatsoever, and the rest of the team (with the exception of Kuyt, Arbeloa and Hyypia) were just various shades of sh*t from start to finish.

Anyone who lambasts Sami for the peno is a bit daft really - you can't expect him to catch a player twice as fast as him. And throughout the rest of the game, the lad was fecking faultless.

Arbeloa did well to say that Babel often left him exposed to Quaresma (who for all his trickery and guile, didn't actually cause us any damage).

And Kuyt? Well Kuyt was a fecking lion today. The lad's a legend, and anyone who questions his place int he squad needs shooting.

The end.

We might be brothers.  :D
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:29 am

Only managed to see the 2nd half due to work.

The result was decent given the opposition, despite a sh!t performance. I agree with most of what Lando said above.

On paper that was the toughest game of the group, thankfully it's out of the way, here's to some rest, preparation time and a Premiership victory against the brum's.
LFC2007

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:33 am

AB's Red Army wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
only me wrote:It's not a contest it's just an opinion.

Still think Rafa "played" a below then avarage game.

Good Result better performance next time..

FFS the man can't win, can he?

"Play Torres! Play Pennant! Play Babel! Play Gerrard! Play Mascherano!"

Well he did, didn't he? And what happened? Our worst performance of the f*cking season.

I have to ask this - I just HAVE to:

Who STILL thinks Mascherano is better than, and should play instead of, Alonso? Really? Who?

In reality, if you put your name forward, you're a f*cking retard.

Actually no, because, basically, even a spastic would grasp the f*cking ridiculously simple concept that Xabi is our main man in defensive midfield, despite what a bunch of clueless tarting bellends have to say. It was his absence that caused our lack of fluency, as we had no-one in that team who had the where-with-all to stick a foot on the ball, look up, and pick a pressure-easing pass (or a defense-splitting one, for that matter).

Gerrard played like a leper, Mascher ran around like a blue-a*sed fly without any reward whatsoever, and the rest of the team (with the exception of Kuyt, Arbeloa and Hyypia) were just various shades of sh*t from start to finish.

Anyone who lambasts Sami for the peno is a bit daft really - you can't expect him to catch a player twice as fast as him. And throughout the rest of the game, the lad was fecking faultless.

Arbeloa did well to say that Babel often left him exposed to Quaresma (who for all his trickery and guile, didn't actually cause us any damage).

And Kuyt? Well Kuyt was a fecking lion today. The lad's a legend, and anyone who questions his place int he squad needs shooting.

The end.

We might be brothers.  :D

F*ck off - you're far too skinny. :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Grudge » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:47 am

AB's Red Army wrote:
So what are you saying then smart @rse??Is Gerrard not good enough for LFC?

How many days did you miss in primary school? Is it that difficult to read and comprehend what was written.

You're making ridiculous assumptions based on nothing.

Where have I suggested that he wasn't good enough for this club? Please elaborate.

He had the best season of his illustrious career two seasons ago. That was followed by a season of inconsistency and ineffectiveness. When you compare his that great season and the years before to that of last year, it was sub-standard and poor for a player of his caliber and for a Liverpool captain.

His performance, or should I say disappearance against Porto was reminiscent of what he produced on more than one occasion last year.

He made a fine start to this season with performances against Aston Villa and Chelsea that we usually associate with Steven Gerrard. This was not one of them and I hope that he goes back to the way that he played 2 seasons ago.

Countless times last season his head was first to drop when things weren't going our way and he's the CAPTAIN. Countless times last season he was missing in the big games in our season. He didn't stamp his authority nearly as much as he used to, if any at all.

That's what I'm saying. That this was one of many disappointing games that he's had in the last 12 months. He was on the right track in our opening games to this season.

He's gone a step back tonight, hopefully he'll get back where he was.

My problem is that you seem to single out Gerrard as if our poor performance was all his fault!

You did'nt seem to notice that Babel on the left did very little?Or was his performance so bad you did not notice him atal?
Pennant was ambitious in looking like he wanted to start a row with our opponents or the ref rather than play football.
Mascherano was unlike himself poor....It would have been a lot easier to say that tonight our whole midfield did not function together rather than single out our captain.

What exactly do you want?
Gerrard to inspire them every time?The bottom line is fella that even the BEST have a bad day or two once in a while!The fact that you seem to think you are clever just because you are sad and bored enough to pick out every game that Gerrard was not WORLD CLASS in over the last while is nothing short of pathetic!

If your gonna try and victimise,pick on a footballer or even have an arguement....Try picking on one that deserves it not one that has pulled us out time and time again when the chips are down with his pure talent,drive,ambition and love for all things RED!!
The Grudge

Postby The_Rock » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:53 am

Good result...but awful performance.

But hate to mention it...but this is what you get if u rotate too much. The team lacks understanding.
Last edited by The_Rock on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:56 am

I remember whinging about Gerrard signing a new £120,000 contract about 2 years after signing a £100,000 a year contract and probably having his worst season for us. Not only him but Xabi Alonso also. The response was that hes worth it. So what he has the off game like many players. But what I realised was that he IS the main player in our team. He had an off game tonight. But how many games has he stood up and be counted? the games where we expect to be defeated only for Gerrard to show his class and his worth and salvage something from a lost cause. Gerrard wasnt to blame for last nights showing, last time I checked 9 other players wore a red shirt.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:07 am

ok, i have not read any other posts yet, so this is an unbiased opinion.

last night was awful, i know i am one of the people who says play your strongest 11 every game, last night apart from agger, we had the strongest 11 available on the pitch.

these 11 players however looked like they had never even been introduced, let alone played with each other, it was an absolute shambles right from the kick off, too many ball went astray, too much possession for them, too late (again) with the changes, pennant, well sh*t happens and he made a mistake although i thought he had stabbed the guy judging by the way he rolled around in agony.

gerrard was poor, torres was poor, reina was poor, sami was poor, mash was poor, kuyt worked hard as usual and got a reward, well done lad for persisting.

well so can we bring this back to rotation, earlier in the season i was becoming happy with rotation, we had a stronger squad and it seemed to work, but last night i cant help feeling that even the strongest 11 is affected by it as they have no continuity and last night against, lets face it a good quality team we were picked apart.

i think its time again to field the strongest team every game for a few weeks or months, let them gel together.

on the other hand, maybe it was a bad day at the office but 2 bad days on the run does t seem right.

decent result, terrible performance
112-1077774096

Postby AB's Red Army » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:15 am

The Grudge wrote:
AB's Red Army wrote:
So what are you saying then smart @rse??Is Gerrard not good enough for LFC?

How many days did you miss in primary school? Is it that difficult to read and comprehend what was written.

You're making ridiculous assumptions based on nothing.

Where have I suggested that he wasn't good enough for this club? Please elaborate.

He had the best season of his illustrious career two seasons ago. That was followed by a season of inconsistency and ineffectiveness. When you compare his that great season and the years before to that of last year, it was sub-standard and poor for a player of his caliber and for a Liverpool captain.

His performance, or should I say disappearance against Porto was reminiscent of what he produced on more than one occasion last year.

He made a fine start to this season with performances against Aston Villa and Chelsea that we usually associate with Steven Gerrard. This was not one of them and I hope that he goes back to the way that he played 2 seasons ago.

Countless times last season his head was first to drop when things weren't going our way and he's the CAPTAIN. Countless times last season he was missing in the big games in our season. He didn't stamp his authority nearly as much as he used to, if any at all.

That's what I'm saying. That this was one of many disappointing games that he's had in the last 12 months. He was on the right track in our opening games to this season.

He's gone a step back tonight, hopefully he'll get back where he was.

My problem is that you seem to single out Gerrard as if our poor performance was all his fault!

You did'nt seem to notice that Babel on the left did very little?Or was his performance so bad you did not notice him atal?
Pennant was ambitious in looking like he wanted to start a row with our opponents or the ref rather than play football.
Mascherano was unlike himself poor....It would have been a lot easier to say that tonight our whole midfield did not function together rather than single out our captain.

What exactly do you want?
Gerrard to inspire them every time?The bottom line is fella that even the BEST have a bad day or two once in a while!The fact that you seem to think you are clever just because you are sad and bored enough to pick out every game that Gerrard was not WORLD CLASS in over the last while is nothing short of pathetic!

If your gonna try and victimise,pick on a footballer or even have an arguement....Try picking on one that deserves it not one that has pulled us out time and time again when the chips are down with his pure talent,drive,ambition and love for all things RED!!

You'll find that I did comment on all of our players that played tonight in my first post in this thread. I continued to discuss Gerrard because he is Gerrard, he is our captain and I expect more from our captain.

As for the rest of your post, I don't feel like going back and forth with you and repeating myself over and over again.

I was quite clear in my previous posts regarding Gerrard and his performances, both good and bad.

well so can we bring this back to rotation, earlier in the season i was becoming happy with rotation, we had a stronger squad and it seemed to work, but last night i cant help feeling that even the strongest 11 is affected by it as they have no continuity and last night against, lets face it a good quality team we were picked apart

I disagree. I don't think we can bring this back to rotation. This team has played a lot with one another. Only Torres and Babel are new to the team we had tonight.

And both of them have played in most of our games so far this season.

In my opinion you're clutching straws. There is no way you can blame rotation for

- quality players not being able to pass a ball and hold on to the tball
- not being able to create anything productive
- not being able to get into the game
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:26 am

This is becoming very petty
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:32 am

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez:

"We were really very bad in that first half, there are no excuses.

"We gave the ball away too easily and made too many mistakes.

"I've no complaints about the Pennant decision. Hopefully he'll learn from this experience."

he must have missed the second half if he only thought we were bad in the first half

:D
112-1077774096

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:06 am

Kharhaz wrote:What exactly is the problem? yes liverpool played poorly but they still walked away from the hardest fixture in the group with a point. Liverpool have made a great start to the season and maybe too much is expected of the new lads, lets not forget this was Torres's first champions league game so all in all stop bitching about it and be glad we got a point, it could have been much much worse.

The problem was that people will look at this game and think Porto are the superior side. They are not. They arn't bad, but we are several classes above them, though we didn't prove that on the pitch. We should have went out there, took these diving ponces by the neck, and humilliated them. We embarassed ourselves with a lackluster display. Had we played our best, Porto would have been thumped...hard!
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:16 am

Emerald Red wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:What exactly is the problem? yes liverpool played poorly but they still walked away from the hardest fixture in the group with a point. Liverpool have made a great start to the season and maybe too much is expected of the new lads, lets not forget this was Torres's first champions league game so all in all stop bitching about it and be glad we got a point, it could have been much much worse.

The problem was that people will look at this game and think Porto are the superior side. They are not. They arn't bad, but we are several classes above them, though we didn't prove that on the pitch. We should have went out there, took these diving ponces by the neck, and humilliated them. We embarassed ourselves with a lackluster display. Had we played our best, Porto would have been thumped...hard!

Lets not lose ourself. Porto are a very good side and on many occasions they outplayed us. The referees in this competition are very PRO european, as in they dont wear padding like they do in the NFL. But we were poor tonight, and porto took to cheating. Makes you wonder doesnt it, if they didnt cheat and played to there game would they have won? I think they would have.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:30 am

we should sign quaresma next season
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:39 am

peewee wrote:i think its time again to field the strongest team every game for a few weeks or months, let them gel together.

Indeed...........  :cool:
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion