Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby andy_g » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:19 pm

obviously rodgers hasn't got a clue. the whole best form in the league thing, bringing up exciting youngsters, finding an unconventional system that works, keeping the most consecutive clean sheets away from home in years, getting in other foreign exciting talent, pinning down the best players on new contracts, managing the decline in gerrard, and having us playing the sexiest attacking football in years is totally nothing to do with him and his rubbish inept ways.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:33 pm

andy_g » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:19 pm wrote:obviously rodgers hasn't got a clue. the whole best form in the league thing, bringing up exciting youngsters, finding an unconventional system that works, keeping the most consecutive clean sheets away from home in years, getting in other foreign exciting talent, pinning down the best players on new contracts, managing the decline in gerrard, and having us playing the sexiest attacking football in years is totally nothing to do with him and his rubbish inept ways.

Did you ever see the Waterboy? BR reminds me of the Fonz with his sitting up into the early hours, cooking up great, unconventional schemes with which to beat Bournmouth. Though the Fonz didn't publicly pat himself on the back for it.
We'll see how things go but there's lots of questions to ask about BR and his style before I'll put it down to his brilliance. I'm no football manager but BR hasn't done anything I'd not have done in his place. Whilst it takes him months to see the obvious that most of us already see then I'll hang fire in heralding his genius.
The team has done better, granted, but I'm not convinced it's due to Rodgers. We've seen plenty of ups and downs so maybe it's too early to decide we're staying on the up.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby ethanr » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm

RedAnt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:33 am wrote:
andy_g » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:19 pm wrote:obviously rodgers hasn't got a clue. the whole best form in the league thing, bringing up exciting youngsters, finding an unconventional system that works, keeping the most consecutive clean sheets away from home in years, getting in other foreign exciting talent, pinning down the best players on new contracts, managing the decline in gerrard, and having us playing the sexiest attacking football in years is totally nothing to do with him and his rubbish inept ways.

Did you ever see the Waterboy? BR reminds me of the Fonz with his sitting up into the early hours, cooking up great, unconventional schemes with which to beat Bournmouth. Though the Fonz didn't publicly pat himself on the back for it.
We'll see how things go but there's lots of questions to ask about BR and his style before I'll put it down to his brilliance. I'm no football manager but BR hasn't done anything I'd not have done in his place. Whilst it takes him months to see the obvious that most of us already see then I'll hang fire in heralding his genius.
The team has done better, granted, but I'm not convinced it's due to Rodgers. We've seen plenty of ups and downs so maybe it's too early to decide we're staying on the up.

Our arguably biggest improvement has been a switch to 3 in the back, and throwing Can back there. I don't think I saw a single person propose something remotely like that. In fact we all would have thought the exact opposite as leaving Mignolet potentially even more exposed scared the Sh*t out of all of us.

Rogers has made the necessary adjustments, and it's worked out quite well for us.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby RedAnt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:51 pm

ethanr » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:38 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:33 am wrote:

Our arguably biggest improvement has been a switch to 3 in the back, and throwing Can back there. I don't think I saw a single person propose something remotely like that. In fact we all would have thought the exact opposite as leaving Mignolet potentially even more exposed scared the Sh*t out of all of us.

Rogers has made the necessary adjustments, and it's worked out quite well for us.

Well we'll see in time if it pays off. But BR hasn't achieved anything yet so I won't be joining those that think he's great. We're not even close to where we were last year. I'm not sure why people see it as progress.
On that note though I'll say that the smartest thing BR has done is lower expectations to a point where stability on the pitch is worthy of calling for doubters to eat humble pie. We are churning out results right now and long may it continue! But let's not go overboard. We're 6th, not 1st or even 4th so all I'm asking for is perspective. It irritates me that people think BR is the Messiah for achieving something slightly akin to normalcy. I'm happy we're playing better, but let's not get too excited just yet.
RedAnt

Postby andy_g » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:33 pm

no one has said he's the messiah. no one is claiming he's a genius - not even the man himself. the media, as they do, begin to set agendas and go on about him having this, that or the other 'philosophy'. some people swallow that and then somehow use it as a stick to beat him with. he's not perfect but he's doing a very good job and that will do me. he has my respect and he has my trust.

its also pretty easy to say that you would have done the same things yourself. in the early 50s i'd have said that the key biological breakthrough would be to determine the structure of DNA. a p!ss of piece to say so, but i'm not sure i could have actually pulled it off.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:42 pm

andy_g » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:33 pm wrote:no one has said he's the messiah. no one is claiming he's a genius - not even the man himself. the media, as they do, begin to set agendas and go on about him having this, that or the other 'philosophy'. some people swallow that and then somehow use it as a stick to beat him with. he's not perfect but he's doing a very good job and that will do me. he has my respect and he has my trust.

its also pretty easy to say that you would have done the same things yourself. in the early 50s i'd have said that the key biological breakthrough would be to determine the structure of DNA. a p!ss of piece to say so, but i'm not sure i could have actually pulled it off.

Not sure how you can compare that last bit with recalling Ibe from his loan spell. On footie manager the first thing I do is recall him! I also play 3 at the back due to the lack of quality full backs. But hey, I'm just using the squad that we started the season with. I know, I know, this ain't a computer game but even on FM it's easy to see the holes in the squad. That's the squad that BR prepared for thus very busy season. Over half of it had gone before BR made vital changes that others had called for long ago.
The point I was trying to make though is that it's perhaps a bit to early to be playing the 'humble pie' card. I'll eat humble pie if the time comes, but it sure hasn't come yet. And those that think the time is now should maybe re-read our history and raise the bar a bit. One things for sure is that BR doesn't need any of us to stroke his ego, and certainly not for minimalist achievements, or half baked humble pies.
RedAnt

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:10 pm

Results have turned around and that is great but maybe the only thing we all agree on here.

The Man is still a cretin in my eyes and has done absolutely nothing to change that. Even last night in the interview he gave to motd and when asked about coutinho's goal he still tried to massage his own ego by blowing up his system  :laugh:

We all know coutinho has gave several interviews where he said he wants to add more goals to his game and has been doing extra training to improve his shooting. Why could he have not just said it was a wonderful goal and that the lad works really hard to improve in that area. Even the panel were laughing at that and said "so we will see the same again next weekend then". 

As I said earlier results are good and vastly improved and we all agree on that but he is not a person I like anyway.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:25 pm

Hey Red, Bill Shankly was the most arrogant man who walked the earth, his interviews on youtube make you cringe but his achievements and results are legendary. Don't judge BR by his blab, teeth or car, judge him by his results.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:44 pm

1 defeat in 18 games. 5 away clean sheets in a row in the league for the first time in 30 years.

Rodgers' teams always come strong in the 2nd half of the season aswell. In his 3 seasons here, we've only lost 4 league games after 1st January.

Bottom line is some people won't give him credit and haven't taken to him since day 1 and nothing will change that.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RedAnt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:58 pm

stmichael » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:44 pm wrote:1 defeat in 18 games. 5 away clean sheets in a row in the league for the first time in 30 years.

Rodgers' teams always come strong in the 2nd half of the season aswell. In his 3 seasons here, we've only lost 4 league games after 1st January.

Bottom line is some people won't give him credit and haven't taken to him since day 1 and nothing will change that.

Great. So what we need is a manager to take us through the first half of the season and then hand the baton to BR who will power us over the finish line.
Our players aren't that bad. They deserve some credit. People are making out that BR is turning sh*t to gold. Personally I'd expect any half decent manager to get performances out of the players we have. They're not school kids. They're professional footballers, certainly capable of achieving fourth with or without BR. It's all ifs and buts but who knows where we'd be now had we stuck with Kenny. I'm not putting BR down. Just trying to get perspective. What we're achieving this year isn't abnormal. It's not even good. A winning streak and 6th place is average at best. We may get better and let's hope so. But remember...we're 6th. That's not even in the top quarter of the league. It's the humble pie thing that gets to me. How is it humble pie time? Have we really fallen so low?
RedAnt

Postby damjan193 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:16 pm

I'm sorry RedAnt, you're talking about perspective and patience to see what happens but you and the rest of the critics weren't taking your time to jump the gun on Rodgers earlier in the season were you? While some of us were asking for perspective and patience for the new team to settle in and give a bit of time to the man who brought us closer to winning the league than any manager in 20 years, you people didn't want to hear it, so you can't ask the people that were on the other side of the argument to settle down now when things are finally going our way.

You were in the wrong then as people who think that we're out of the hole that we've dug for ourselves are wrong now, so you're no different.
Last edited by damjan193 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:21 pm

A bit arrogant but I chuckled :) >>>>> https://vine.co/v/OQX1AXH7WT0
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:31 pm

damjan193 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:16 pm wrote:I'm sorry RedAnt, you're talking about perspective and patience to see what happens but you and the rest of the critics weren't taking your time to jump the gun on Rodgers earlier in the season were you? While some of us were asking for perspective and patience for the new team to settle in and give a bit of time to the man who brought us closer to winning the league than any manager in 20 years, you people didn't want to hear it, so you can't ask the people that were on the other side of the argument to settle down now that things are finally going our way.

You were in the wrong then as people who think that we're out of the hole that we've dug for ourselves now, so you're no different.

Hmm, not really a fair assessment of my stance, mate. I called for patience with Kenny and he wasn't afforded it. I'd never really been aware of BR before he joined us so wasn't enthused by his appointment. I've never called for him to be sacked though. But on seeing his management style I'm even less enthused. He makes bizarre decisions, doesn't plan ahead, sells his players out to the press and constantly baffles me with his press handling. He's not yet proven anything with us. Last year was good, this season started badly and has become average. We have a chance now to go onwards and upwards but we've already lost much this season. The only perspective I'm asking for is that people realise we've not won anything yet, so what are we cheering for? Be encouraged, sure, but like I said, it's not time yet to demand people eat humble pie. I expect much, much more from BR before I think we've turned a corner. The first half performance this season is exactly why we need a strong second half of the season, so it balances out.

Pro-Rodgers 1-1 Anti-Rodgers.

So yeah, let's keep the humble pie for another day.
RedAnt

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:35 pm

Reg » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:25 pm wrote:Hey Red, Bill Shankly was the most arrogant man who walked the earth, his interviews on youtube make you cringe but his achievements and results are legendary. Don't judge BR by his blab, teeth or car, judge him by his results.

His results are what will or won't keep him in the job and I wouldn't call for him to be sacked just because I don't like him. I have some reservations about his management also but Its his ego and the stuff he says is what put me totally off him. 

Shanks never stole or tried to muscle in on his players credit, If a player scored a wondergoal shanks would simply say "well he is a wonderful player isn't he so what else would you expect". Shanks was smart and very witty and his interviews mostly entertaining while brendans is the complete opposite.

Anyway reg I couldn't give a stuff about his private life, his teeth his wife or any of that other stuff. I have never laid into him over anything like that either as Its his business and not the Fan's.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:39 pm

RedAnt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:31 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:16 pm wrote:I'm sorry RedAnt, you're talking about perspective and patience to see what happens but you and the rest of the critics weren't taking your time to jump the gun on Rodgers earlier in the season were you? While some of us were asking for perspective and patience for the new team to settle in and give a bit of time to the man who brought us closer to winning the league than any manager in 20 years, you people didn't want to hear it, so you can't ask the people that were on the other side of the argument to settle down now that things are finally going our way.

You were in the wrong then as people who think that we're out of the hole that we've dug for ourselves now, so you're no different.

Hmm, not really a fair assessment of my stance, mate. I called for patience with Kenny and he wasn't afforded it. I'd never really been aware of BR before he joined us so wasn't enthused by his appointment. I've never called for him to be sacked though. But on seeing his management style I'm even less enthused. He makes bizarre decisions, doesn't plan ahead, sells his players out to the press and constantly baffles me with his press handling. He's not yet proven anything with us. Last year was good, this season started badly and has become average. We have a chance now to go onwards and upwards but we've already lost much this season. The only perspective I'm asking for is that people realise we've not won anything yet, so what are we cheering for? Be encouraged, sure, but like I said, it's not time yet to demand people eat humble pie. I expect much, much more from BR before I think we've turned a corner. The first half performance this season is exactly why we need a strong second half of the season, so it balances out.

Pro-Rodgers 1-1 Anti-Rodgers.

So yeah, let's keep the humble pie for another day.

I'd say it's 0-0, both parties were/are wrong and too fast to jump the gun, so neither have "scored" yet. The Anti-Rodgers called for his head way too soon and it's also still too early for the Pro-Rodgers to start cheering. I'm a Pro-Rodgers but I agree with you, it's way too early to be calling for people to eat humble pies, there's still a lot of work to be done.

But the way some of the Anti-Rodgers were going on earlier in the season you can't really fault the other party for raising their voice now.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion