Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby Boocity » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:38 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:57 pm wrote:
Boocity » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:14 pm wrote:I agree, I wouldn't want Rafael back, he should have won us the league but as you say he blew it against the lesser teams with his constant tinkering

Rafa will probably never manage the reds again ,but seriously ,as regards having him back 'in a f*cking heart beat' ,the man is an absolute legend and a winner to boot.

I agree he is a legend but I cant say he has done well since he left us, its been a long time since he led a team to league winners and i don't see him being the one to come back and do it for us.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:07 pm

If he was criticised and ridiculed when we were losing, then surely he should be congratulated and praised when we are winning?
Isnt this part of Stephen Hawkings theory of everything?
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby Boocity » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:34 am

Thommo's perm » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:07 pm wrote:If he was criticised and ridiculed when we were losing, then surely he should be congratulated and praised when we are winning?

No, it should say 'when we win something' (a cup or least achieve top 4) up until then he will be still get criticised for any weird decisions that cost us points or games
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:34 am

Thommo's perm » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:07 pm wrote:If he was criticised and ridiculed when we were losing, then surely he should be congratulated and praised when we are winning?

No, it should say 'when we win something' (a cup or least achieve top 4) up until then he will be still get criticised for any weird decisions that cost us points or games
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:29 am

Boocity » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:34 am wrote:

we was 2nd last year
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:35 am

look at it this way, with all that's gone on with players going and being unfit this year we are only 8 points down on where we was at this point last year.....not bad.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:36 pm

BR is a good coach, but he is not at LFC to coach, he's there to manage the Club. The review is still ongoing and the playing side is being looked at heavily.  I believe FSG are still looking to bring in a DoF. If BR can accept that (meaning he would become Head Coach) and help, then fine, he may be around for longer.  Every LFC fan knows that he has a desire to manage RM or Barca, but the thing is, those clubs hire Head Coaches not managers - two totally different positions.

The only reason BR reverted back to the press high, fast paced football that fans are seeing now is because his job was on the line. It should be pointed out that he see's the long term future of LFC as being the slow, pass, pass pass (awful) football  people witnessed at the start of last and this season. Seriously, LFC's season cannot start in January every season as has happened since he's been here. It needs to start when the season starts. Once he becomes comfortable again (i.e. is position not on on the line), he'll revert back to pass, pass pass......

He made a load of promises to the Owners about this season, getting 4th was not one of them.   It remains to be seen what happens in the summer when the full club review has been completed. My guess is,  FSG will go the DoF route, and whether BR accepts that and the necessary help is another story.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:04 pm

My pessimistic nature leads me to believe that we will fall just short of CL qualification this season.  We made a really bad start and haven't left enough room for error.  I still think Rodgers deserves time though.  We went to the semi's of the Carling Cup and came up just short against Chelsea.  We are in still in with a shout in the FA Cup, still in the hunt for top 4 and still in the Europa League. 
I believe we are also only 8 points behind were we were last season. 

Not too bad considering Suarez left, Sturridge got injured for 6 months, Coutinho couldn't find form, Mignolet was so poor and we had a bunch of new players settling in. 

The foundations of a top side are in place.  I also believe that Rodgers has what it takes to win this league.  His tactics will ensure we beat the majority of smaller teams
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:26 pm

Even the most fierce of B-Rod's critics must be either slicing up the humble pie, or at least putting it in the oven (gas mark 5) ready to serve?
Well done to the manager, the players and everyone connected with the club on having such a good run of results
:buttrock
Thommo's perm

Postby ethanr » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Thommo's perm » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:26 pm wrote:Even the most fierce of B-Rod's critics must be either slicing up the humble pie, or at least putting it in the oven (gas mark 5) ready to serve?
Well done to the manager, the players and everyone connected with the club on having such a good run of results

I've got to say Thommo, I thought Rogers got it all wrong today. I'm 100% supportive of him, and will continue to back him, but I do think he got it badly wrong. You can't depend on a wonder goal from Coutinho, or very poor sequence of defensive errors to score goals each week, not to mention the majority of the major 50-50 decisions went our way for once.

I felt today all came down to decent resilience from our back line and keeper, and a lot of luck. But I'll take that any day of the week if it means 3 points. Again- I'm 100% supportive of Rogers, but every once in a while the manager will make a mistake, and I felt like that was today.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:55 pm

Thommo's perm » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:26 pm wrote:Even the most fierce of B-Rod's critics must be either slicing up the humble pie, or at least putting it in the oven (gas mark 5) ready to serve?

If he surprises me in Europe I might just warm a plate fella ,until then I'm not wasting the gas.  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:14 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:
Thommo's perm » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:26 pm wrote:Even the most fierce of B-Rod's critics must be either slicing up the humble pie, or at least putting it in the oven (gas mark 5) ready to serve?

If he surprises me in Europe I might just warm a plate fella ,until then I'm not wasting the gas.  :D

RBG= proper door hinge!!
:rasp
Thommo's perm

Postby damjan193 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:06 am

ethanr » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:42 pm wrote:
Thommo's perm » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:26 pm wrote:Even the most fierce of B-Rod's critics must be either slicing up the humble pie, or at least putting it in the oven (gas mark 5) ready to serve?

I've got to say Thommo, I thought Rogers got it all wrong today. I'm 100% supportive of him, and will continue to back him, but I do think he got it badly wrong. You can't depend on a wonder goal from Coutinho, or very poor sequence of defensive errors to score goals each week, not to mention the majority of the major 50-50 decisions went our way for once.

I felt today all came down to decent resilience from our back line and keeper, and a lot of luck. But I'll take that any day of the week if it means 3 points. Again- I'm 100% supportive of Rogers, but every once in a while the manager will make a mistake, and I felt like that was today.

I doubt Brendan's hoping to achieve victory like this every week, it's just for the hard away games. I think the decision to sit back and let them play while we try to get them on the counter was the correct one. Like someone said in the match thread, Soton are good defensively but they can't break teams down. Considering they're a strong team and we were playing at their place, a set-up like that was probably the smartest thing to do. Sure, it wasn't a clean victory but big matches rarely are clean.

Also, I'm pretty sure that bar the Markovic for Moreno change, everything else was forced. Sakho had a minor injury and Sturridge can't play 90 minutes every second day and he's too important to risk it.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:27 pm

A bit of credit for turning things round in the past 2 months?
Attachments
B-hpWU6IIAACNfc.jpg
B-hpWU6IIAACNfc.jpg (35.02 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:47 pm

I honestly think we're doing ok inspite of Rodgers rather than because of him. Many on this board are clearly sharper than him. Brendan has done nothing surprising. People on this forum call for certain decisions and BR implements them some three months later.
Dropping Mignolet and recalling him once our only other 'keeper is injured is a no brainer. Likewise recalling Ibe.
There's still a lot more questions than answers where Rodgers is concerned.
But... Credit where it's due, can't argue with results and all that. Thankfully other teams are dropping points else we'd be paying dearly for earlier errors.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion