Have you ever got it wrong - Early decisions on players

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 21, 2006 11:03 pm

I have just been reading a few excellent posts about Steve Finnan and it got me thinking about how wrong I was about him when he first came. I thought he was just a typical Houllier squad player not fast enough,cant tackle, not tall enough and all he can do is cross. I admit it, I was WRONG.From this I began to think of the FEW other times I got it wrong about a player and I freely admit some of them were big mistakes.

Ray Clemance - I first saw him against Derby, I think it was his league debut. My verdict was that he would never make it.

Alan Hansen - never make it as a centre back but might make a decent fullback.

John Mcloughlin - saw him make his debut against Huddersfield and he was going to be a big star.

Ray Kennedy - too slow and drops too deep all the time never make it.

Phil Babb - He is going to be world class.

Bruno Cheyrou - He is going to be the new Zidane

Igor Biscan - He is going to be the new Zidane

Salif Diao - He is going to be the new Souness

In my defence I seem to be better at judging attacking players as I picked out big futures for S.Highway, K.Keegan, S.McManaman, R Fowler and M.Owen after their debuts.
account deleted by request

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun May 21, 2006 11:05 pm

Yeah, I got the Finnan one wrong, didn’t see much of him at Fulham, but after one season here I though he had stepped out his depth.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 21, 2006 11:20 pm

over the years i`ve done it loads of times.
one of the worst though is recently.
i like to watch every game if i can during the world cup and i remember watching senegal beat france with diouf looking absolutely superb.
desailly was a class centre half back then and diouf was just waltzing past him with ease, he looked like pele or someone.
i told everyone i know he is absolute class, i`ve had that thrown back at me a few times.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 21, 2006 11:26 pm

I
desailly was a class centre half back then and diouf was just waltzing past him with ease, he looked like pele or someone.
i told everyone i know he is absolute class,

I think most people got Diouf wrong.I know I did.
account deleted by request

Postby Scottbot » Sun May 21, 2006 11:35 pm

It's hardly an early decision but definately one i got wrong. The most excited i've ever been is when Roy Evans signed Paul Ince from Inter Milan. Evans Liverpool team were just about the prettiest team to watch in the whole league for the previous couple of seasons but with the likes of Barnesey and Michael Thomas and Jamie Redknapp in midfield we simply overpassed it. In fact we could play keep ball for pretty much 90 minutes if need be. I was CONVINCED that Ince was the missing link, the final piece of the jigsaw and i really believed we would win the title with him in the side. He was gonna give us that edge, that bit of steel and bite that we were missing.

What a letdown that was. Ince forgot his natural game when he put on the red shirt. In his pomp he was one of the best defensive midfielders in the world, agressive, disciplined, great tackler, good in the air and could chip in with a few goals. He seemed to think he could turn himself into this box to box attaking midfielder (a'la Stevie Gerrard) when he got to Anfield and never came close to his United form. I really wasn't bothered when Houllier gave him the boot and brought in Hamman to the job that Ince SHOULD have been doing from the word go.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon May 22, 2006 12:00 am

Yeah, I thought Cheyrou was gonna be good. :(
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Mon May 22, 2006 12:07 am

Nope, Im allways correct.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby RAGE UK » Mon May 22, 2006 12:25 am

I got the fowlers return wrong
I did not think he was good enough for us now spending a lot of time on the bench.
I was so very wrong.
And then I was one of the 1st to say we should give him a contract to play for us.
I think fowler will be a super sub and score some vital goals.
LIVERPOOL FC    ….> NOW THAT’S ENTERTAINMENT <…
RAGE UK

Postby Scottbot » Mon May 22, 2006 12:34 am

RAGE UK wrote:I got the fowlers return wrong
I did not think he was good enough for us now spending a lot of time on the bench.
I was so very wrong.
And then I was one of the 1st to say we should give him a contract to play for us.
I think fowler will be a super sub and score some vital goals.

Good honest shout Rage. Have to hold my hands up there too. I was never keen on the idea of Robbie coming back. Partly because i didn't think he could get himself fit enough to do it and partly because i just wanted to be able to remember him in his pomp in the famous Red shirt. But having said that i was VERY VERY excited when we resigned him in January so deep down maybe i did believe he could come back and 'do it'
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby luvliverpool » Mon May 22, 2006 2:43 am

Yea I was convinced that Morientes would be our top goalscorer and also close to the EPL top scorer but I was sooooooooooooooooooooooo wrong!

We never know if he stays he might eventually adapt to the EPL style of play and move his backside enough to score double figures!!!!
Anfield The Home And Heart Of Football
luvliverpool

Postby Alanay » Mon May 22, 2006 3:06 am

There's nothing wrong with early perception on somebody as we make decision based on what we know at that time. We can always nurture somebody with talent to become great footballer but there's no guarantee he'll make it towards the end. The same go the other way. But, what I just hope last time was that Fowler is back at earlier age.
Alanay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon May 22, 2006 3:20 am

this thread is about players, but can't help on this:
i was a bit disappointed when we got rafa instead the other strong candidate at that time: mourinho

that was very very very wrong!
:D
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Mon May 22, 2006 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon May 22, 2006 4:20 am

Definitely got Baros wrong last season.  Thought he'd truly blossom as one of our main strikers after Owen left but he just wasn't up to it.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby el_stinger » Mon May 22, 2006 5:52 am

Defo Morientes. Even he got that one wrong, lol
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mikopool » Mon May 22, 2006 6:39 am

I knew Finnan would come into his own, my mate is a huge Fulham fan and he was gutted when Liverpool signed him. I thought Cisse would bag 30 goals in the league alone, until I saw a full highlight package of all of his goals one year for marseille, didn't look like the sort of goals you get in the prem, and although I think he has done well, he certainly didn't get it.

I went on about Anthony LeTallec like he was going to save Liverpool when he first signed, okay, so I was a little bit off.:p
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion