Sunday's debacle - .....wrong subs at wrong time?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:37 pm

Traore - Played awfully.  Managed to get burned a few time and get a card in the few minutes he was in the game.

this one amazes me

very true...he gave away a free kick on the edge of the area to boot!  Warnock started nervous but played ok and i think he's going to improve loads as his confidence gains.

Overall, we looked solid.  Ok, we didn't score but thats because we have no outright wingers and it was difficult to get forward.  Sadly, Man utd and Liverpool cancelled each other out, hence the dull 0-0
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red H » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:50 pm

Personally I thought we were solid if uninspiring.  I think you can see the jigsaw coming together, and the missing pieces were pretty obvious.  After missing out on Gonzales, and Simao, second choice players are taking up berths in our wide positions.  We may have to wait until January to rectify this, but realistically if we are in touch, or in, the top four and still involved with the CL I think the correct signings should enable us to finish respectably.  I know this may not be enough for some, but teams do not change instantly
Red H

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:52 pm

Personally I thought we were solid if uninspiring.  I think you can see the jigsaw coming together, and the missing pieces were pretty obvious.  After missing out on Gonzales, and Simao, second choice players are taking up berths in our wide positions.  We may have to wait until January to rectify this, but realistically if we are in touch, or in, the top four and still involved with the CL I think the correct signings should enable us to finish respectably.  I know this may not be enough for some, but teams do not change instantly

i'm going for a top 3 finish...probably 3rd with Arsenal finishing below us.  Rafa said it will take time and i think it will be next season that we're in a position to challenge Chelski
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby teamleader1 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:03 pm

OK we all wanted the win and IMO we deserved to on our second half display

but a draw is better than the feeling I had walking out of the ground last season when they well and truly embarrased us-

Maybe it wasnte our greatest display, but there were positives like the money on Crouch was well spent, he was my MOTM-
Another positive was garcia as in positively fkn awful
bench at best
teamleader1

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:06 pm

but a draw is better than the feeling I had walking out of the ground last season when they well and truly embarrased us-

Maybe it wasnte our greatest display, but there were positives like the money on Crouch was well spent, he was my MOTM-
bench at best

Crouch is a clever player who is good with the ball.  I thought he was just going to be stuck upfront to hit headers...but his passing is superb.  Rafa's LFC is taking shape and now, when we play average, we draw instead of losing.  Although that is not amazing progress....it's significant
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NCRedFan7 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:49 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
NCRedFan7 wrote:As far as I'm concerned, getting a draw is like kissing your sister.  So I consider that losing.  If you didn't win, you lost.  Period.  Draws are always annoying.  Anyone for penalty shootouts to settle all matches? (j/k)

-NCRedFan7

Great another stupid clueless know nothing jumped up American !

Crawl back into your swamp.

If you find fault with my analysis, say so.  Use examples if possible.  Trashing me for being American is just plain juvenile.  I don't ever claim to know more about football than the average Brit (actually, quite the opposite, I'm probably completely retarded in that respect (and don't get me started on how cricket works, no clue whatsoever)), that's why I posted my thoughts.  I wanted to know if my perception of the match was spot on or completely twisted.  Thus far, the majority of the posters have agreed with at least some part of my post.

Oh, and having had lunch now (blood sugar must have been a bit low earlier), I would like to retract the whole "a draw is losing thing."  Must have been smoking crack while polishing the arsenal of weapons that all Americans carry and use as regularly as possible while eating a Big Mac (PARODY).

-NCRedFan7
NCRedFan7

Postby teamleader1 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:04 pm

7_Kewell wrote:

bench at best

Crouch is a clever player who is good with the ball.  I thought he was just going to be stuck upfront to hit headers...but his passing is superb.  Rafa's LFC is taking shape and now, when we play average, we draw instead of losing.  Although that is not amazing progress....it's significant

Agree totally m8
teamleader1

Postby hobbes » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:02 am

I am repeating this over and over again. Dont waste Pongole on the right neither Gerrard. Gerrard can move all around the field as he likes. MOve Finnan to the Right midfield.

Reina

Josemi              Carra            Hypia            Warnock

Finnan             Sisoko/Gerrard     Alonso        Riise

Pongole                  Ciise                     

or if want more fearsome attack  shift to

Reina

Carra                Hypia              Warnock

Finnan        Gerrard   Sisoko     Alonso         Riise

Pongole       Ciise

Finann can easily move back to a 4-4-2 formation again to be defensive.
hobbes

Postby hobbes » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:05 am

Sisoko and Gerrard can switch places. The duo make excellant performance on the centre midfield. With Sisoko covering, Gerrard can move forward more often.
hobbes

Postby wiped » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:59 am

7_Kewell wrote:
Sadly, Man utd and Liverpool cancelled each other out, hence the dull 0-0

Apart from NCRed telling LeomMc to "shut the f**k up" (which he deserved to do ) .... that's the soundest statement in this thread ....
wiped
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:08 am

Reina

Josemi              Carra            Hypia            Warnock

Finnan             Sisoko/Gerrard     Alonso        Riise

Pongole                  Ciise                     

Good formation but where is the attacking midfield? Sorry to said that HK and Garcia can't do that job? We need somebody like aimar, RVV or maybe Joe cole can do the job.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby davepolo » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:47 am

reina

finnan
carragher
hypia
riise

garcia
alonso
gerrard
zendan

crouch
cisse
davepolo

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:12 am

Sundays Debacle ? . Time for some to get a reality check . Prior to the game many fans would admit (if only to themselves ) that they would have settled for a draw . Although at the final whistle I was disappointed with the result as I thought with a bit of fortune we could have won it, I did at least gain some comfort from the fact that at no point in the match did I think we were going to lose it , for the most part we controlled the game and made Man U look very ordinary . I can live with a draw against Man U , like it or not ,they are one of the top 3 teams in the prem . To those who seemngly consider the result a disaster ,imagine how you'd feel if we'd lost  :( .

I certainly hope that Rafa employs more offensive tactics during the season but I have no problem with him using safety first when playing against the "top three" .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:31 am

Sometimes it is hard to listen to what some people say on this forum, but here is my input.

We have not conceded a goal in 4 games

We drew matches that we would have lost last year (Spurs and boro away) and the scum. All these matches we should have won (which is a positive not a negative) because I believe in these three games we were the better team (unlike last year where away we were awful).

Garcia did have an off game, but he broke Keanes foot. United will lose games they might have won, so for that Garcia gets a 10.

The team is clearly improving and gaining confidence, and it has been just over a year Raffa has been in charge (not that long really). Chelsea may win the league this year, but Liverpool looks like a better proposition for the future.

Bottom line, it is going according to plan.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:34 am

NCRedFan7 wrote:I'm probably completely retarded

Probably??

With a statement like "a draw is like kissing your sister", makes it a certainty.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion