The 2021/22 rebuild - time for some tough decisions

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:58 pm

I think it's pretty clear that the squad needs a major overhaul this summer. Injury prone players, underperformers and some aging stars need to be moved on. And I think Klopp needs to show his ruthless side, if we want to challenge for the league title again.

The LFC great managers of the past wouldn't hesitate to move players on when they've passed their best. And Klopp will need to put his personal feelings to one side and tell some of the lads that their journey with LFC has come to an end.

Who needs to be brought in? And more importantly, who needs to go?

My clear out list includes:
Adrian
Ox
Shaq
Matip
Milner
Keita
Origi
Minamino

My in list would include:
Neto (he's on the verge of breaking into the big time in my opinion and would link up well with Jota)
Konate (looks like a promising defender, and a no brainer if his release fee is £34m)
Odegaard (would replace Gini. He's on loan at Arsenal and hasn't fitted in at Real. Anyone notice Klopp having a chat and a hug with him after the Arsenal match?)
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:00 pm

Odegaard won’t be leaving Madrid unless someone pays the huge release clause
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby electrum » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:29 pm

I would add Firmino to the outgoing list...brilliant player when on song but not at it at all this last year. Had a good game v Villa though.

MORE importantly he is 30 in October so is very unlikely to be able to put in the shifts he has between 2017-2020. Sell him while we can - at 31 next season we won't get much for him.

Take away his pressing and retrieval, which is way down this season and in Klopp's setup he is not fit for purpose.

We need to look for a replacement from now.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Reg » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:58 pm

What really gets me is we should have moved 2-3 of these on for the last 3 seasons, now we're left with 8-9 players who having to break their contracts to get rid of them will cost us a fortune - we won't do it. Most of those lads will still be there next season, just 2 or 3 will go.

Adrian can go because he's on a short term and cheap contract. Ox recently resigned didn't he? Shaq can stay as it's not urgent to get rid of him. Matip - too fragile, get rid whilst he still has value. Milner can stay looking to move him into junior side coaching/management. Keita, Origi and Minamino can all go but what would be the cost of doing so?  Forme, Bobby stays at least one more season, we need at least 4 quality players up front.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:14 pm

What gets me is not seeing anyone come through the ranks. What's the point in having an academy, u18, u23 or whatever squads if you don't see an Owen or a Fowler coming through. People here will tell me TAA and Jones came through, that's two players. Surely the point in having younger age groups managed and trained properly would make you expect more to make the cut?
As for the list suggested above, hard to disagree with most there. I think we don't have the money for a massive overhaul this year. Only City and the Filth, maybe the Chavs too are likely to splash the cash.
I think Mo will leave - there's way too much noise about him. No smoke without fire. I think he wants out but dunno who can afford to buy him. Much as I really get pi$$ed off almost every game I watch him, he keeps scoring goals.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:29 pm

Reg » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:58 pm wrote:What really gets me is we should have moved 2-3 of these on for the last 3 seasons, now we're left with 8-9 players who having to break their contracts to get rid of them will cost us a fortune - we won't do it. Most of those lads will still be there next season, just 2 or 3 will go.

Adrian can go because he's on a short term and cheap contract. Ox recently resigned didn't he? Shaq can stay as it's not urgent to get rid of him. Matip - too fragile, get rid whilst he still has value. Milner can stay looking to move him into junior side coaching/management. Keita, Origi and Minamino can all go but what would be the cost of doing so?  Forme, Bobby stays at least one more season, we need at least 4 quality players up front.

I don't think we'd have too much trouble shifting Keita, Origi and Minamino. I'm not sure we'd even notice if they weren't here, either.

I'm more than a tad concerned by the noise around Mo. But he if wants to go then someone will have to pay big bucks. And there is no one I'd trust more to reinvest £100m than Klopp.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:16 am

Don’t Leicester want Keita? Wouldn’t surprise me if he went there and was a revelation. Must admit though he hasn’t done it in a red shirt.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:51 pm

If players start knocking on Klopp’s door and saying they want to move on then I’m sure they will end up leaving and we’ll bring in replacements but I don’t think you’ll see a “major overhaul”. It’s been a tough season with injuries but assuming we don’t suffer the same fate next year I’m confident we’ll challenge for the title. What we’ll need in the squad will depend on if we’re in Europe and if so what competition.

We might have overplayed our hand on the odd occasion (Harry Wilson to Burnley in the summer for example) but selling players isn’t like a football manager game were you put people on the transfer list and a club will just buy them. I mean, who is going to buy Matip? He’s 30, coming off a big injury, has a history of injury problems, and sitting on a nice wage here. We’re probably stuck with him next season whether we like it or not.

With Adrian set to leave on a bosman we’ll probably look for another experienced GK to support Alisson and Kelleher.

van Dijk, Gomez and Matip should hopefully all be available for the start of the season but we need another CB. We probably need another behind those 4 too who would happy enough even if he doesn’t get a single PL or CL minute. Maybe that’s Ben Davis. Only question at fullback is what happens with Neco Williams. With the instability at CB we haven’t been able to blood him at all this year. If we’re in the Europa League next year I think he’ll stay and be our RB in that competition.

Even with Wijnaldum leaving we are well stocked with midfielders but we probably need to start executing some forward planning here. I think we’ll bring in 1 player who is under 25. I don’t know why anyone would advocate getting rid of Milner when he’s a very useful utility player who probably took a huge reduction wage when he renewed. He probably won’t get another renewal anyway. Think we’d have similar problems to Matip in finding a buyer for Keita.

Just as last summer I think we’d happily let Origi and Shaq go for the right price and bring in another Jota type signing as long term planning.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chriserfolg » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:01 am

Au revoir:

Keita
Matip
Ox
Shaq
Origi

Wont mind if bid comes in for one of the 3 upfront

Bring in :

Wingbacks for backup. Left and right.
Striker.
Centerback.
Backup GK.

Hate it when we signed players like tsimikas and davies but never give them chances. Robertson is fatigue to the max and we still play fabinho at cb. Not sure wtf is going on there but its frustrating. Hope they sort it out.
chriserfolg
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:26 pm

Apparently Keita wants to stay and fight for his place.
Imo we are absolutely desperate for a Saint-Maximin type, someone who can go past a player and make something happen, it’s been actually painful at times watching us trying to break teams down especially since the turn of the year. I doubt that 2 goals scored in 8 home games record will ever be broken, i ****ing hope not anyway. A club of our size, stature, prestige and history should really be in for the Harland’s, Mbappe’s and Kane’s etc but we know we are not going to be, but surely we can attract the Saint-Maximins?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:51 pm

From what I hear on the jungle drums, FSG have put the knockers on their spending plans due to Covid and the super league being scrapped. We should have got rid of the deadwood when we had the chance! We have to roll the squad every summer. From what I hear they want to down size the squad - sell and don't replace.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:12 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:26 pm wrote:Apparently Keita wants to stay and fight for his place.
Imo we are absolutely desperate for a Saint-Maximin type, someone who can go past a player and make something happen, it’s been actually painful at times watching us trying to break teams down especially since the turn of the year. I doubt that 2 goals scored in 8 home games record will ever be broken, i ****ing hope not anyway. A club of our size, stature, prestige and history should really be in for the Harland’s, Mbappe’s and Kane’s etc but we know we are not going to be, but surely we can attract the Saint-Maximins?

Size , Prestige and stature doesn’t give the club £200mil to spend on single players - never going to be in the running for those players

Saint Maximum is a decent player but a bit like Traore - not much substance behind the pace

Neto a better player to be looking at
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:29 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:12 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:26 pm wrote:Apparently Keita wants to stay and fight for his place.

Size , Prestige and stature doesn’t give the club £200mil to spend on single players - never going to be in the running for those players

Saint Maximum is a decent player but a bit like Traore - not much substance behind the pace

Neto a better player to be looking at

I disagree, Neto is decent but a bit too similar to Jota for me, I’d prefer Saint Maximin myself who much more than a pace merchant, he’s got terrific feet and players like that attract defenders which creates space for other players.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:08 pm

He also has not much end product and suffers from injuries

The fact that Neto is similar to Jota is the reason why he is the exact player that Klopp would go to and would fit in the way the team plays

Need more than just pace - plenty players have just pace
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:00 pm

Apart from being young Portuguese attackers with a link to Wolves Jota and Neto are not very similar. Jota is all about movement and getting the ball in front of him. Like Coutinho,  Neto comes off the line and likes the ball to feet inbetween the lines.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion