Have you ever got it wrong - Early decisions on players

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GOAT » Mon May 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Yeah theres a few ive gotten wrong, cisse, morientes, finnan for a start. From what i saw of finnan at fulham and his first season here i thought he was average at best and not good enough but look at him now. Id heard great things about cisse and thought he was going to be legendary but he disappointed and morientes was a very proven player and i thought he would do the business but hes been abysmal
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby weringo » Mon May 22, 2006 6:27 pm

I certainly got Morientes wrong but I doubt theres a soul in the world who would have predicted he was going to be a flop
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby Keris » Tue May 23, 2006 7:13 am

For me, it was Sander Westerveld, Liverpool was crying for a decent keeper since Grobelaar. And being Holland No. 2 and all. I was really excited.

Than there was Jason MacAteer. Spice Boy. BAH!! :angry:

Than again Houllier did made quite a lot of his signings (westerveld, le tallec, titi camara) and I was desperate for it to be true. Too naive. :laugh:
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 23, 2006 7:45 am

Than again Houllier did made quite a lot of his signings

He certainly did, every signing was going to be the next big star. I think he had a problem with being French and wanting to emulate Wenger.... buying young French or French League players and turning them into superstars. Only problem was he couldnt pick em. Wenger has Henry, Vieira,Anelka, Pires, Wiltord to look back on, Houllier has Cisse, Diao, Diouf  Cheyrou ,Ferri lol.
account deleted by request

Postby 2520years » Tue May 23, 2006 3:39 pm

Babb's a good shout, he was superb until we signed him.  The same goes for David James, I was so pleased when we signed him but he wasn't good enough.  Morientes was a flop, but it's very easy to spot flops.  I guess the best thing is to focus on those that we'd never heard of that have done well.  People like Hyppia, Sissoko and (I'd never heard of) Alonso.
:)
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby stmichael » Tue May 23, 2006 3:53 pm

i thought stan collymore would set the world alight when we signed him to play alongside fowler but it never really happened.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue May 23, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Wed May 24, 2006 12:58 pm

Neil Ruddock was an excellent passer, tough in the tackle and good in the air so I was delighted when LFC signed him. Then he lost all motivation and got fat. Was furious with Evans when I read him say that he lost weight after Venables told him at an England get together that he was too heavy. What was evans doing?

Paul Stewart was another one I thought would be great. I remember taking the p1ss out of a manure friend of mine when Glen Hysen picked LFC over Manu. He was going to be the new Alan Hanson!!
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed May 24, 2006 1:03 pm

I thought bringing Fowler back would be a waste of time, because everytime i had seen him play, he looked uninterested and unfit.

I have been really surprised with his performances (and pay cut) and am hoping he'll be 100% fit next season.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Wed May 24, 2006 1:05 pm

I though Sean Dundee was going to be a waste of time.

It turned out he was a waste of space as well!
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed May 24, 2006 1:10 pm

crazyhorse wrote:I though Sean Dundee was going to be a waste of time.

It turned out he was a waste of space as well!

:laugh:
66-1112520797

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed May 24, 2006 7:22 pm

Keris wrote:For me, it was Sander Westerveld, Liverpool was crying for a decent keeper since Grobelaar. And being Holland No. 2 and all. I was really excited.

I actually liked Westerveld, I thought he was a good keeper for us. He made an error against Bolton and was sold for it but he was our keeper in the treble winning season and he did start a fight with Francis Jeffers, so he weren't all bad.
48-1119859832

Postby deejay-cgt » Fri May 26, 2006 8:50 am

getting fowler back i was like y he so unfit at man city he was like 4th choice there so why the hell lol glad we got God back now :)
CgT

deejay-cgt

Postby Espionage » Fri May 26, 2006 9:25 am

I tipped Crouch for big things, and i was starting to fear during his duck steak that I had made my first mistake, but he came through and proved himself. So no, i have never been wrong :p
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Fri May 26, 2006 12:31 pm

Karl Heinz Riedle was another one who came with high expectations.World cup winner,European cup winner...he was gonna set the premiership alight.

He didnt.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri May 26, 2006 1:02 pm

I got it right when I said that Morientes wouldn't make it and er.. that's about it really. Wrong just about every other time much as I can remember.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion