Have you ever got it wrong - Early decisions on players

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Good Bob » Sat May 27, 2006 4:39 pm

No to be fair, Sissy i fell for all the hype. NEVER again... IE Gonzalez... once bitten twice shy. And Reina, i wasn't convinced he was the answer. However, i've never claimed to know much about keepers and never will.
Good Bob

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat May 27, 2006 4:51 pm

Good Bob wrote:i've never claimed to know much about keepers and never will.

F.uck me I've just fallen off me chair in shock horror  :D

If you read back in the thread I to fell for the Cisse hype, but  I'm not totally convinced about Reina yet. Jesus , Im probably nick picking the bloke but he reminds me alot of David James when coming for those crosses  :sniffle .But thats another topic anyway.
66-1112520797

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat May 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Bamaga man wrote:If you read back in the thread I to fell for the Cisse hype, but  I'm not totally convinced about Reina yet. Jesus , Im probably nick picking the bloke but he reminds me alot of David James when coming for those crosses  :sniffle .But thats another topic anyway.

You've got to be having a bubble. Reina is only 23, he will improve over time and no one could be as bad or as Jekyll and Hyde as David James.
48-1119859832

Postby madred » Sat May 27, 2006 5:01 pm

Emile Heskey is a player who i had real high hopes for especially after we did the treble in 2001. He lacked self belief when he arrived but seemed to be getting plenty of confidence during that season and was at times deadly in front of goal. Since that season his performances went poor even though i still had belief in him to come good. I remember his goal against Roma in the champions league when the critics were out in force and even then i thought to myself 'why cant he give that type of performance more than he does'? Heskey on his day had so much power and aerial ability but spent most of his time moaning and rolling round on the floor requiring treatment. A case of what might of been for me but got it wrong.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat May 27, 2006 5:11 pm

0asis wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:If you read back in the thread I to fell for the Cisse hype, but  I'm not totally convinced about Reina yet. Jesus , Im probably nick picking the bloke but he reminds me alot of David James when coming for those crosses  :sniffle .But thats another topic anyway.

You've got to be having a bubble. Reina is only 23, he will improve over time and no one could be as bad or as Jekyll and Hyde as David James.

No. I'm not having a bubble, I know he's only 23 but that doesnt exclude him from any kind of doubt. He will probably improve Ok, but you would be having a bubble if you said to me he's convincing on his crosses.

I'm entitled to that opinion, and I know he had a very good season but I'm just picking out his weakness's, and he has gotten away with alot of those fumbled crosses this season. But I will gurantee you if any of the opposing teams had scored from those mistakes people (on here) would be quick to point that out. But coz he got away with it, people turn the other way and dont even mention it. And just praise him for a good game, a bit like the F.A cup final really.
66-1112520797

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat May 27, 2006 7:57 pm

Yeah I'll agree with that Reina at times has looked dodgy from crosses and he's looked dodgy under pressure e.g. Bolton. But he's admitted his faults, he's said he has had to change his game to adapt to English football and so it will take sometime for him to be great in every aspect of his overall game. But from what I've seen from him thru-out the season has been highly impressive and what makes it highly impressive is the fact he's a young keeper.

All keepers make mistakes and all keepers have areas in which they aren't great in but I reckon he could be as good as Peter Schmeichel was if he keeps on working on his weaker areas in training and keeps on improving.
48-1119859832

Postby NiftyNeil » Sat May 27, 2006 9:25 pm

I remember going to see a preseason friendly at Anfield against Lazio.
Bruno Cheyrou looked awesome. He really had a go, shooting with his left and right. Needless to say, Bruno was one of the first names in my fantasy football teams that year - how wrong was I ?
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sat May 27, 2006 10:07 pm

i have only ever got one wrong.........Rafa
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun May 28, 2006 1:44 am

lakes10 wrote:i have only ever got one wrong.........Rafa

It takes a man to say that Lakes after the number of posts you've put up in the past on the subject. Fair play to you mate.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sun May 28, 2006 3:48 am

diouf, cisse, and nando. all i overhyped before they came. what a disappointment!!
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun May 28, 2006 10:02 am

Signing a player of Morientes stature, reputation and technical ability in Europe was as good a reason as any to be hyped up. He just didn't cut it.
48-1119859832

Postby Kano » Sun May 28, 2006 12:01 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:diouf, cisse, and nando. all i overhyped before they came. what a disappointment!!

I think Diouf was a prime example of agents trying to get the most for a player after a half decent world cup where after the players price infaltes to a ridiculous level.

I can see the same thing happening to a few players after this world cup.
Kano

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 28, 2006 1:45 pm

sounds like Ronny Whelan had same doubts about Finnan as a few of us had before Finnan proved him wrong Liverpool.tv
account deleted by request

Postby Kano » Sun May 28, 2006 1:47 pm

Yes good point. But for Finnan has played out of his skin 99% of the time. He raley puts a foot wrong and in all honesty I never rated him before but i take my hat of to him now.
Kano

Postby stmichael » Sun May 28, 2006 3:14 pm

lakes10 wrote:i have only ever got one wrong.........Rafa

yeah who'll ever forget the "how long would you give rafa" thread after the palace game. :D

cue johnbull to come back and give us a lecture of how rafa doesn't understand the tradition of this club and how things aren't what they used to be forty years ago. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion