CL 3RD ROUND QUALIFYING DRAW 11.00BST - all build up and reaction here please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:12 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:Everton will turn to new Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina for advice ahead of their Champions League qualifying tie against Villarreal. 
Reina arrived at Anfield from the unfashionable La Liga outfit last month after helping them achieve Champions League qualification for the first time in their history.

Now Blues' midfielder Mikael Arteta is now hoping to see if he can glean any information from his fellow Spaniard before the first leg tie in a fortnight's time.

"I have played in Spain against Reina, and know him," says Arteta. "Now he is in Liverpool and I am going to speak to him about the game to see if he can offer any advice." 

(shocking!)  :veryangry

Doubt Reina will give much info on his old buddies.

Anyway, nowadays these things are over rated, with the internet and massive tv coverage. Everton will have a hundred hours of tv coverage from Villareal's games last season. Its not like years ago where you literally knew nothing about a European team and a tasty bit of information like the fact that the opposition left back can't cut inside or the centre forward has a dodgy hamstring could swing a game for you.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:32 pm

I just heard from the BBC that Reina offered some advice to Everton. He said:

"To beata da Club Futbol De La Villarreal, da Evertonia need to puta da foootbol into da Villarreal gol. La boll need to cross da line and hittt da net, which iz da "bag" dat hold da bol. Evertonia ned to scooorrreee mo gol dan da Villarreal. Zank you"
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:45 pm

how many of you said we would draw everton  and im glad we didnt get them there not worthy of playing the european champions.

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:46 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:I just heard from the BBC that Reina offered some advice to Everton. He said:

"To beata da Club Futbol De La Villarreal, da Evertonia need to puta da foootbol into da Villarreal gol. La boll need to cross da line and hittt da net, which iz da "bag" dat hold da bol. Evertonia ned to scooorrreee mo gol dan da Villarreal. Zank you"

:laugh:  why is reina talking with an Italian accent ?         :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:50 pm

"because Manhattan don'ta know whatta Spanish accent sounda like".
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:50 pm

Anybody got any up to date info on CSKA ? I know in years gone by they were always hard b'stards to beat . Deffo need to keep a clean sheet at our place and a 2 goal lead to take over there anything less and we could be in for a nasty surprise.

:(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:51 pm

The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:57 pm

Thanks Manhattan , nothing there that i didn't know . Was hoping there might be the odd fan here who has seen them play in recent times and voice an opinion.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:58 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Anybody got any up to date info on CSKA ? I know in years gone by they were always hard b'stards to beat . Deffo need to keep a clean sheet at our place and a 2 goal lead to take over there anything less and we could be in for a nasty surprise.

:(

Having recently become Bulgarian champions for the 30th time in their history, they play on sunday against their rivals Levski (we played against them in the UEFA cup two seasons ago..) for the Bulgarian Supercup. Their league starts on the 5th of August.

I'm sure we shouldn't have many problems with CSKA Sofia to be honest. Just remember what happened in the Levski Sofia tie- we beat them 2:0 at Anfield and 4:2 in Bulgaria in the worst days of Houllier's regime.
Last edited by stmichael on Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:59 pm

They got knocked out 3-2 on aggregate by Steaua Bucharest in the UEFA Cup qualifying rounds last season.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:02 pm

not sure how much help this is from the uefa site. so they won 2 of their last 3 games, scoring 9 but conceding 6. the team that put 4 past them finished 21 points behind them in the league. my dodgy detective skills would suggest to me that they may play a little cavalier - the bulgarian newcastle of the keegan era, anyone?

15/05 Belasitsa - CSKA Sofia 1 - 4
21/05 CSKA Sofia - Pirin 2 - 1
28/05 Loko Plovdiv - CSKA Sofia 4 - 3

League standings
Bulgarian Premier League
Team Pts
CSKA Sofia 79
Levski 76
Loko Plovdiv 58
Litex 52
Slavia 48
Loko Sofia 46
Beroe 35
Cherno More 35

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:03 pm

Mikel Arteta meets Pepe Reina in a restaurant

Mikel: Olla Pepe! So how's life treating you? You like Liverpool?
Pepe: Olla Mikel! Life is good. I have great Manager, good team, nice wages and I get to play at Anfield for the European Champions. How are you?
Mikel: er... anyway, you know that the, er, how the Scouser say "The Blue Feculant" are playing your old club en Espagne for the Euro matches?
Pepe: si.
Mikel: Well, could you give your Old Hombre, Mikel a few tips. I hear that they are most dangerous in attack with Forlan and Riquelme, and also solid at the back. Is this true?
Pepe: si, this is for sure. But there is one key to defeating them. They cannot handle playing against four strikers. I suggest you play a 2-4-4 formation to confuse them.
Mikel: Confuse them?
Pepe: Si senior! It cannot fail. They will never be expecting this tactic. The weapon of surprise, and don't worry about Forlan, I'm sure that it is just fluke.
Mikel: Gracias mi Hombre. Muchos, muchos gracias! This will surely help us.
Pepe: Mi compadre! Wait, this cannot be seen to be coming from me. It would hurt my team if you were to qualify.
Mikel: Your secret, it is safe.
Pepe: Adios
Mikel: Adios mi Amigo!

As Mikel walks away, he produces a tape recorder and clicks the stop button while he grins to himself, and to the ugly, scottish waiter who is taking off his fake moustache as he heads for the door.

Back at the table, Pepe pours himself another glass of Champagne, leans back, takes a sip and turns to the table behind him. Rafa Benitez, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher all remove their fake moustaches and grin.
Pepe: My friends, this should be most entertaining...
:D

I love my imagination. A world of plot holes and fake moustaches where our players all have a sort of James Bond-esque air about them. If only. :)
Last edited by The Ace1983 on Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:06 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:I just heard from the BBC that Reina offered some advice to Everton. He said:

:D
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:11 pm

andy_g wrote:not sure how much help this is from the uefa site. so they won 2 of their last 3 games, scoring 9 but conceding 6. the team that put 4 past them finished 21 points behind them in the league. my dodgy detective skills would suggest to me that they may play a little cavalier - the bulgarian newcastle of the keegan era, anyone?

15/05 Belasitsa - CSKA Sofia 1 - 4
21/05 CSKA Sofia - Pirin 2 - 1
28/05 Loko Plovdiv - CSKA Sofia 4 - 3

Cheers Lads ,
Those last few games suggest a dodgy defence .  :D

Has there been any confirmation as to where we play the first leg ?
earlier sky said we play first leg at home but i'm sure just a couple of mins ago they said our first leg is away . ???

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby matrix » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:13 pm

happy now woof woof !  we cant take them to lightly but im verry confident we will beat them fairly easy.

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion