CHAMPIONS LEAGUE DRAW 11.00 BST - build up and reaction

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:17 pm

With all the talk of the World Club Championship at the moment it's easy to forget that the draw for the next stage of the Champions League takes place tomorrow at 11.00.

Last 16 teams are as follows:

Group winners

AC Milan
Arsenal
Barcelona
Inter Milan
Juventus
Liverpool
Lyon
Villarreal   

Group runners-up

Ajax
Bayern Munich
Benfica
Chelsea
PSV Eindhoven
Rangers
Real Madrid
Werder Bremen 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Draw conditions:

Teams from the same national association cannot be drawn together.

Liverpool have no 'country protection' because of the special circumstances of their entry into the competition, but cannot face Chelsea (same group) or Arsenal (group winners like Liverpool).

The winners and runners-up of the same group cannot be drawn together.

Group winners will be kept apart in the draw.

Group runners-up will play the first leg of the two-legged knock-out ties at home, giving the group winners the perceived advantage of playing at home in the second leg.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

British teams:

Arsenal
Could face: Bayern Munich, Benfica, PSV Eindhoven, Rangers, Real Madrid or Werder Bremen

The Gunners eased through the group stages of the Champions League but could still face some big names in the second round.

Real Madrid are potential opponents and there is the prospect of a repeat against Bayern Munich, who knocked out the Londoners at this stage 12 months ago.

Chelsea
Could face: AC Milan, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Juventus, Lyon or Villarreal.

The Blues were runners-up to Liverpool in the group stages of the Champions League, and could face any of the other group winners, bar Arsenal, in the last 16.

This includes Italian giants Juventus, AC Milan and Inter Milan, as well as Spanish heavyweights Barcelona, who they met in an acrimonious two-legged tie in the last 16 last season.

Liverpool
Could face: Ajax, Bayern Munich, Benfica, PSV Eindhoven, Rangers, Real Madrid or Werder Bremen

Teams from the same national association cannot be drawn together in the last 16 of the Champions League.

Despite Liverpool having no such protection because of the special circumstances of their entry into the competition, they cannot face Chelsea, who were in the same group, or fellow group-winners Arsenal.

Rangers
Could face: AC Milan, Arsenal, Barcelona, Juventus, Liverpool, Lyon or Villarreal.

Rangers became the first Scottish club to qualify from the group stages of the Champions League with their brave 1-1 draw against Inter Milan.

The result helped Alex McLeish hang on to his job at the Ibrox helm, but second spot behind Inter means they could pick one of Europe's biggest names out of the hat.

....................................................................................

To be honest I wouldn't fancy playing Bayern Munich, Real Madrid or PSV at this stage. The best draws would be Rangers, Werden Bremen or Ajax.

Please keep all build up and reaction in this thread.

Cheers.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:22 pm

Bring Real Madrid on.  I can't wait for this tomorrow. 

Whoever we get, I'm pretty confident of reaching the last eight.  I seriously can't wait until this kicks off again.
jonnymac1979

Postby oOShrimpyOo » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:27 pm

i totally agree Rangers, Werden Bremen or Ajax would be the best tie for us. although id prefer Rangers or Werden Bremen.
oOShrimpyOo

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:30 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:Bring Real Madrid on.  I can't wait for this tomorrow. 

Whoever we get, I'm pretty confident of reaching the last eight.  I seriously can't wait until this kicks off again.

I see where ST mike's coming from, if we can have an easy/easier draw then sound.

But like you Johnny think if get Real then fine, the way we are playing, so well organised and so quick on the break..we would imo do them over 2 legs, especially as the return leg is at Anfield.

I also cant wait for the draw now.

Bring on Barca v Chelsea 2 ( The revenge of the Spaniards)  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:35 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Bring on Barca v Chelsea 2 ( The revenge of the Spaniards)  :D

if chavski get barcelona, juventus or lyon, they're going out imo. lyon are f#cking dangerous this season. i don't think they've lost in about 25 games in all competitions.

i've got a feeling we'll get werder bremen. shades of leverkusen last season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:38 pm

ive a sneaky feeling we'll get bayern munich  :sniffle

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby dward » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:46 pm

stmichael wrote:With all the talk of the World Club Championship at the moment it's easy to forget that the draw for the next stage of the Champions League takes place tomorrow at 11.00.

I completely forgot about the draw until I saw this topic :suspect:

thanks st mike :D
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:55 pm

I want Rangers. Be good to stuff them away. :)
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:56 pm

stmichael wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:Bring on Barca v Chelsea 2 ( The revenge of the Spaniards)  :D

if chavski get barcelona, juventus or lyon, they're going out imo. lyon are f#cking dangerous this season. i don't think they've lost in about 25 games in all competitions.

TBH Werder Bremen would be ideal, they are no mugs but not in the same league as Bayern.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Robin_kopite7 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:00 pm

I have a feeling we´ll draw Benfica :)
Robin_kopite7

Postby Kukilon » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:00 pm

I'm hoping for anyone of these.

Ajax
Benfica
Rangers
Real Madrid
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:04 pm

I still can't believe that Maureen was playing down the importance of winning the group. Chelsea's reward for finishing second is that they will face AC, Inter, Juventus, Villareal, Barca or Lyon!  :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:23 pm

stmichael wrote:I still can't believe that Maureen was playing down the importance of winning the group. Chelsea's reward for finishing second is that they will face AC, Inter, Juventus, Villareal, Barca or Lyon!  :laugh:

:D  He's a lying b@stard, with Terry getting their only goals in the last two games he has to be worried :;):
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:49 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
stmichael wrote:

TBH Werder Bremen would be ideal, they are no mugs but not in the same league as Bayern.

They are in the same league, its called the Bundes Liga.

Not to mention the Champions League.

To be fair no ones a easy draw in my opinion.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:57 pm

I'd prefer Rangers :laugh: but bring the feckers on, whoever they may be.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion