BLACKBURN ROVERS VS LIVERPOOL - All pre-match comments here please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:55 pm

Good result, solid performance if not spectacular.  Carragher was immense, by far our best player.  Hyypia and Sissoko were very good too.

Alonso was quiet but still effective.  Riise and Cisse did well down the flanks I thought and Fowler and Morientes actually linked up pretty well.  I thought Finnan was below par and Warnock was positionally dodgy at times (our full backs weren't doing a good enough job at stopping the crosses coming in imo, and we could have paid for it had Carra and Sami not been so solid today).

Cisse has 2 great chances to finish the game, one on the stroke of half time and one at the death.  His finishing lets him down though, but he was a threat down the right I thought so I'm not going to slate him for missing the chances, he's not going to be here next season so we're doing no good getting on his back now.  I also thought Kewell looked sharp when he came on.

Fowler, what can you say?  Right place at the right time again and he also created the goal with a brilliant chest-on to Morientes.  He has to stay next season, and I think Benitez knows it now.

And I don't hear the press say that we rely too much on Gerrard these days.  Why not?  Because it's a complete bollox statement and this season has proved it.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby davo_LFC » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:56 pm

its a tw@t that robbie cant play against the rent boys on saturday coz hes cup tied, his predatory instincts could have caused chelski some problems on saturday. At stamford sh.ithole we created some good chances were fowler would have scored without doubt.
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:04 pm

Well that should sow up CL qualification for next season now. Sissoko done really well to maintain himself after he got booked. And what can we say about Fowler that Rafa doenst know now. One chance - one goal. I realy hope Rafa gives him a new contract. As for the result, its these sort of matches and the one last week at Bolton where last yer we would draw or lose but the whole team now sems to go into every game with the winning mentailty. All I can say is, I cant wait till next season. BTW Whats happened to Agger, he seems to be injured alot.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:34 pm

good result against blackeye rovers....they arent a bad side, but will some one tell me how Lucas Neill gets away with being a professional footballer? Sissoko.....is the find of the decade......cant believe he nearly went to the bluenose's and rafa saw it on the newspaper and went oooh i better buy him! Well done Robbie ....every goal makes u a greater legend!
Pedro O'Maradona

Postby redsince2001 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:11 pm

redsince2001 wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:Bit strange if you ask me. Was there any need to drop Kewell to the bench and bring in Warnock, I guess its because Blackburn are a tough team to face away from home. What happened to Crouch? Ig he isnt injured then its just stupid thats his not in the squad let alone in the team. Not feeling to confident about this one now, very strange team.

Reina

Finnan  Hyypia  Carragher Warnock

Cisse    Sissoko   Alonso    Riise

Fowler  Morientes

Garcia
Kewell
Kromkamp
Traore
Dudek

I predict a 3-0 score with a RF hatrick :buttrock  :buttrock  :bowdown

not too far off eh? :eyebrow  :eyebrow
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby steffspurs » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:09 pm

thanks chaps...good result today, and once again hughes and co showed their classlessness in goading cisse when he'd been taken out by that animal neils...hughes needs to understand that if you play neanderthals and they behave like neanderthals then you will get reactions from the rest of the civilized world who really don't want neanderthals playing football.

BTW, good for fowler...from my outside viw it appears your man rafa's making sure he keeps working to earn what will be an inevitable contract extension

steffspurs, aka thfcsteff
steffspurs

Postby stmichael » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:17 pm

In all seriousness Andy Gray must be stopped from commentating on Liverpool games, the man simply cannot give balanced opinion where we are concerned and the integrity of any live broadcast which involves Liverpool Football Club is terminaly compromised whenever this bitter buffoon commentates, it realy is now beyond a joke . 

The best one of the lot was him saying to MT that even they could play in goal behind that Liverpool defence

I have my doubts about Reina'.....oh f*ck off.  :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:37 pm

A good performance today. It highlighted everything that is different about the team compared to last season. Blackburn pressed us all over the pitch, moved the ball quickly, got it wide and bombed in the crosses. We would have lost this game last year of that i'm sure. Sami and Carra were the difference today. Both of them were immense. Is Sami having his best season for the club? The quality of his performances have often gone unoticed this season but i think he might have actually shaded Carra over the season. What happened to the big queue of Hyppia bashers!? Momo was excellent and i was also impressed with the discipline he showed after his 1st half booking. Xabi wasn't MOM for me but showed just how far the defensive aspect of his game has developed in the last 18 months. I never thought i would be talking about Xabi as a 'combative' midfielder but that is exactly what he has become. As for Cisse. I'm one of the many who believe he has been a bad purchase but he played well again today and I would start the lad up front with Crouch against Chelsea on Saturday.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:45 pm

stmichael wrote:In all seriousness Andy Gray must be stopped from commentating on Liverpool games, the man simply cannot give balanced opinion where we are concerned and the integrity of any live broadcast which involves Liverpool Football Club is terminaly compromised whenever this bitter buffoon commentates, it realy is now beyond a joke . 

The best one of the lot was him saying to MT that even they could play in goal behind that Liverpool defence

ah who gives a sh.it what he says, doesnt bother me, just ignore it. It would only bother me if i knew it was true
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:47 pm

Blackburn made the game hard as expected. They persistently hassled Alonso to stop him getting into a tride and controlling the game but they didn't have the ability to out play us. Hacking doesn't win games.

If we're being honest Fowlers goal was fortunate, we'd be moaning if Blackburn had scored a goal like that. But all in all we we're well worth the win and if Cisse had scored both his opportunities the scoreline would of reflected the way we played.

2nd is still a possibiility, hopefully the mancs should lose at stamford bridge which will leave us 3 points (2 points in theory but they have better goal difference) to make up in two games. Not impossible.

Last 3:
West Ham (A)
Aston Villa (H)
Portsmouth (A)

Mancs Last 3:
Spurs (A)
Chelsea (A)
Boro (H)
Charlton (H)

I guess we have to hope they slip up at Spurs or maybe Boro get something??
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:48 pm

I only watched it on the box down the pub but how many fans did the club take to Ewood today? They were superb. It sounded like a home game at times.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:02 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Blackburn made the game hard as expected. They persistently hassled Alonso to stop him getting into a tride and controlling the game but they didn't have the ability to out play us. Hacking doesn't win games.

If we're being honest Fowlers goal was fortunate, we'd be moaning if Blackburn had scored a goal like that. But all in all we we're well worth the win and if Cisse had scored both his opportunities the scoreline would of reflected the way we played.

2nd is still a possibiility, hopefully the mancs should lose at stamford bridge which will leave us 3 points (2 points in theory but they have better goal difference) to make up in two games. Not impossible.

Last 3:
West Ham (A)
Aston Villa (H)
Portsmouth (A)

Mancs Last 3:
Spurs (A)
Chelsea (A)
Boro (H)
Charlton (H)

I guess we have to hope they slip up at Spurs or maybe Boro get something??

Our last few games on paper seem to get progressively easier, bolton, blackburn, west ham, aston villa, pompey. Im hoping we can win all of our remaining 3 games, we are well capable of that and then the best scenario would be for man u to lose against chelsea and spurs and draw 1 of the others, its going to be hard to snatch 2nd
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:29 am

ivor_the_injun

Postby Mark 23 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:11 am

who gives a :censored: what Andy 'fathead' Gray says, he is a dog who shags his best mates wife.  Plus the :censored: just supports whoever is winning the league.  A bit off topic, I fancy next seasons title to be a proper good one, us, the mancs, Arsenal and Chelsea all competing, then the likes of Spurs and Blackburn not competing for title, both able to take points off the big sides when they get their game together (blowing the title race wide open)
Mark 23

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:24 am

stmichael wrote:In all seriousness Andy Gray must be stopped from commentating on Liverpool games, the man simply cannot give balanced opinion where we are concerned and the integrity of any live broadcast which involves Liverpool Football Club is terminaly compromised whenever this bitter buffoon commentates, it realy is now beyond a joke . 

Exactly what I was thinking mate.

I was swearing like a tw*t at the bent balding bitter boy-buggering b*stard.

I f*cking HATE him comentating on our matches, the fat tw*t.

Anyhoo....

I thought we played a poor game aesthetically today, but it was a functional performance that we would have been grateful of last season.

We must remember that we only managed a draw at Ewok Park last season, against a side playing much worse than this term's Blackpool  :D

We have definately turned the corner of mediocrity, and are galloping down the straight of improvement.  :nod

Special mention to Robbie: What a guy!  :bowdown  :buttrock

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion