LIVERPOOL VS BLACKBURN ROVERS

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:00 am

back to normal kick-off time on saturday and hopefully a return to winning ways against another awkward opposition. lessons must be learnt from the Reebok and improved upon if our title aspirations are to all but evaporate before this months out. 3 stubborn sides from lancashire consecutively in the space of just over 3 weeks is testament to what has become a very arduous start to a season all things considered. this against a rovers side who look tougher to break down than last term and who have recruited Benny Mcarthy to replace Bellamy up top. though you'd have to say Rafa should know plenty about him. 3 in 7 though aint bad...

much is being made about the Lucas Neill rumours in the media and you'd expect him to be up for it and as 'cavalier' in the tackle as usual and thats being diplomatic at best....not everybody's cup of tea, that much is true, but decent cover for Finnan, should he infact sign. although im keeping everything crossed for Richards of Man City as i stated in the Neill thread..i think he would represent FAR better value and there is real talent in the lad, for me even more so than Alves would offer the english game...although he wouldnt be a bad choice either given time here.  but Lucas Neill? we'll see...

the other topical issue will be of course be our own Craig Bellamy and the week he has had up until saturday. mentally he looked shellshocked after the slovakia game. and the repurcussions could swing either way for him, it depends. but he has a tough exterior and id expect him to want to go out and put on a defiant performance. it will be his mental state that concerns this match. and whether Rafa deems him suitable or not for the game is another matter - he may think not. besides if toshack continues to flog the ar5e off him, he wont be in any fit state at all. what better time to get off the mark than now though if selected.

i reckon it isnt as easy a game as we'd be hoping for, particularly after yet another international break. Tough, thats the english premiership - lets get our heads down and get on with it. No excuses.  but lets hope that the same reasons for the poor showing at Bolton are once and for all eradicated and this 'rotation' issue is finally resolved, where the 'side' can gel into an effective unit that should be picking itself week-in week-out but hasnt yet had the chance...

ive heard this phrase two or three times of late "the season starts here"  well, for possibly the last chance - its going to have to.

for my opinion ill go with:

REINA

FINNAN   CARRAGHER  AGGER   RIISE*

GERRARD  SISSOKO  ALONSO  AURELIO*

CROUCH   GARCIA

*these two alternating possibly.  the fact ive chosen Aurelio is, i believe he is starting to settle. and at the moment has the edge on Gonzalez for confidence. Gerrard over Pennant for sheer enthusiasm and end-product at the moment. ive gone for Luis Garcia to play in the hole behind Crouch, because he seems the logical choice to unlock defences and atttract free-kicks etc...(cant believe im saying this - we are the home side ffs!)  anyway, as for Kuyt, he looks very doubtful - i hope he can recover for Old Trafford but its touch and go.  Bellamy, ive given my reasons for. as for 'God'  ??? what on earth has happened to him...

out of 4 out and out strikers we have, 1 is injured, 1 is in low esteem, 1 has seemingly disappeared into the bowels of the club and the other one is unfairly maligned from pillar to post and cant seem to do anything right in the eyes of the 'media' god bless 'em. Yet, who has taken us all by surprise since his arrrival and worked his socks off to frequently come up with the goods....and we'll be relying on him this weekend again i suspect.

lets pray there are no more casualties from this never ending international period. and go out on saturday and boss a game from start to finish. heck, a 1:0 will do for a start. get some belief, confidence especially consistency and points up on the board before it really is time to chuck in the towel.

COME ON YOU REDS    :buttrock

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:23 am

Another battle against a hard working in your face style team. If we show we are up for it I expect another home win and 3 points. If we dont show the right commitment, I can see us struggling to a 0-0 or even worse a 0-1

Reina
        Finnan           Carragher                  Hyypia           Aurelio

Gerrard          Sissoko                      Alonso                        Riise

Crouch      Fowler

I think its time Robbie was given another chance and Blackburn at home is ideal. Hes not been on international duty and should be ready for this game.
account deleted by request

Postby Dundalk » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:32 am

s@int wrote:I think its time Robbie was given another chance and Blackburn at home is ideal. Hes not been on international duty and should be ready for this game.

Especially if Kuyt is injured
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:07 am

I too have a sneaking suspicion that Robbie will be makng an appearance against BlackPOOL. :D

It's a heck of a game, though, but we SHOULD have too much for them at Anfield. (Should, but as we all know - we never do things the easy way.)

I'd go with a 3-4-1-2, personally, in the absence of Kuyt:

Reina
                        JC            Sami           Agger

Gerrard                   Alonso         Sissoko                           Riise

Garcia

Crouch                    God.

Bellamy and Gonzalez on late to run them ragged.

I've gone for this formation as Finnan seems to be really struggling this season, and we have no natural right-back as cover.

Plus, I like most variations of the 3-5-2 system, which can easily become 5-3-2 or 4-3-3, etc.

That team has what it takes to endure the physical battle, aswell.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lfc_amy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:05 am

It will be a tough game. We should diminate. I want Fowler to play for some reason. To get live streams & download to goals go  here.... I say a 2-0 win. I hope we really cream them & get back on track!
lfc_amy

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:57 am

I Love that Formation Lando.  I think with having Momo and Xabi in Central Midfield, and Riise running all up and down that left side, we only need 3 at the back.  Garcia will give them fits in that role of a centre forward/  I think Aurelio would be subbed in for Riise at around the hour mark, because I imagine he would be doing a lot of defensive covering down the left side, and would get worn out, and Aurelio is capable of doing almost anything Riise can do.

Another sub would be putting Pennant on for God, and then Moving Stevie G into  the Centre attacking role, and bumping Garcia down to play forward with Crouch.

We need to go on a solid winning streak, and although this teams problems have been struggling to win on the road, this team needs to find its identity at home, it needs to figure out how it can consistenly beat teams that its supposed to, without rellying on the homefield advantage.  We need to start Taking Care of Business.
JoeTerp

Postby stmichael » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:23 am

i can't believe we've actually got a three o clock kick off for once. do you realise that we haven't had an away game at three o clock on a saturday since LAST NOVEMBER? :O

anyway, it'll be a hard game but it's still one i fully expect us to win. i've gone on record as saying that i don't think we'll get beat at home in the league this season and i stick by that prediction.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby craig da Toxteth iron » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:24 pm

Rafa should play 3-5-2 against Blackburn next Saturday, by playing Steven Gerrard behind Crouch & Bellamy or Fowler. It will provide us with more vengeance.
Image Image

craig da Toxteth iron

Postby CardinalRed » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:10 pm

Our Jekyll & Hyde season continues with what on paper looks like a tough one.... Because we're at home I'm prepared to tip us for a 2 goal victory, we may have to earn it though, Rovers don't lie down these days and Sparky has 'em playing uncompromising stuff.....

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:23 pm

How many Rovers are off on international duty?  Cause most of our squad will be playing with max. 2 days prep time after this latest round of daft internationals.  To make matters worse, Spain's game against the Argies on Wednesday is only a friendly. :angry: What are the odds that Alonso and Garcia play the full 90?

Given the circumstances, I will gladly take a gritty 1-0 victory with Bellamy breaking his league duck.  Hopefully a cross turned into the net by a defender or some other lucky break to settle the lad's nerves and get him firing them in for us.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby AwiLas » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:55 am

Let's hope that they take it seriously this time.. A draw at Anfield is unacceptable and that's the last thing on the cards.. Stevie G should be played a striker in the 1st place.. Cheers..
AwiLas

Postby Leonidas08 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:57 am

I would like to see Agger and Crouchy (and Bellamy because of Kuyt injury) start this game.
Leonidas08

Postby metalhead » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:35 pm

I say a 3-1 win for the reds
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:08 pm

metalhead wrote:I say a 3-1 win for the reds

id love to say the same metalhead m8, we all would. however, the simple fact that it is a 3 o'clock KO and not a 'live' sky game, might have some bearing on the players, you never know. with a little less pressure on them knowing they arent under the closest scrutiny to perform in front of the cameras, that may help to create a more relaxed mindset for the game.
we'll see.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby jkop » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:13 pm

Hope Robbie gets a start, as we know he wasnt on international duty so he will be fresh and in the mood. :nod
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion