Birmingham vs liverpool - I know it is too early but....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:52 pm

....we have chelsea on the 28th. So what type of a team do u think rafa would put out against birmingham ?

For me, i would play my strongest team against birmingham & chelsea so that we can get our league campaign going and also scoring a psychological victory against chelsea (given that we would be playing them 3 more times this season).

That last thing we wanna do is put on a somewhat weak team against birmingham and get another 0-0 draw (or worse lose) and then go on and lose to chelsea (and see chelsea_clinton come here and create 10 new threads about chelsea and how good they are  :p )

So we should play our best team and start our season rolling.

This is my team..... Gerrard has to play right wing. I can't bring myself to watch garcia or pongolle play there anymore...it is just too painful. It really hurts.

Reina
      Finnan    Carra    Hyppia   Warnock
              Alonso  Sissoko  Hamann
            Gerrard                         Risse
                              Crouch
Subs
Carson
Traore
Garcia
Cisse
Pongolle

- Drop Garcia because he needs a kick up his a$$.  Shocking performance against the scums.

- Drop Cisse because, lets face it. Cisse and Rafa has major issues. Even when Cisse was coming on to replace crouch, you can see he was ignoring rafa's instructions to him. Cisse won't be here in January.

- Gerrard & Risse to concerntrate on attacking only and putting in crosses for crouch. Should be able to score a few goals.

- With the defence we have and a 3 men central midfield, birmingham won't even get into our penalty box.

Lets start our season rolling against birmingham .....  :buttrock
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:00 pm

Mate you have four central midfielders...........

Hamann isn't as sharp as he is lately so playing him in this type of game won't due us much good.

.                 Reina

Finnan   Carragher    Hyypia    Traore

Alonso      Sissoko

Gerrard           Riise

Cisse

Crouch
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:09 pm

Not really....gerrard will play as an attacking right winger.  I don't think gerrard is as effective if he has to handle defensive duties.

So in having 3 CMs....risse & gerrard only have to concerntrate on attacking. As for hamann, he does have a lot to offer. If he is there just to anchor the defence, he will do an amazing job.... (this will also free up sissoko & alonso to dominate the midfield).

Also no more cisse for me....If rafa starts with him, he will only play right wing becos rafa hates cisse  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Hope the Sisco kid tw.ats Steve Bruce's nose back in line.

thats worth 3 points alone.
109-1093441336

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:20 pm

The good thing about the 4 games after the Betis one is that they are nicely spaced out with no traveling abroad and at least 3 days gap inbetween each one, so squad rotation will not be such a big issue, we should be able to gather Rafa's current ideas for the rest of the season.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:45 pm

trying to guess rafas ideas is like trying to understand Ranieri during those classic post match interviews.

" claudio, what can you take from this game?"

"well, er well e frunk, pass, err dont lose , tinker ciolla, well, er no good, have zola, no? "
109-1093441336

Postby A.B. » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:06 pm

Nothing to do with us but Barca just lost to Atletico Madrid.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:16 pm

Nothing to do with us but real madrid just lost to espanyol
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:50 pm

nothing to do with us but i,ve just had a cup of tea
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:53 pm

nothing to do with us, but I'm going to sleep

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:04 am

Birmingham have lost the last three home games already this season, but they will be up for this game. A draw against them won't do us any favours as we face Chelsea at home afterwards so it's really going to be a test of how much we've improved and can we step up a notch to win an away game we lost last season.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby hobbes » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:35 am

The_Rock wrote:....we have chelsea on the 28th. So what type of a team do u think rafa would put out against birmingham ?

For me, i would play my strongest team against birmingham & chelsea so that we can get our league campaign going and also scoring a psychological victory against chelsea (given that we would be playing them 3 more times this season).

That last thing we wanna do is put on a somewhat weak team against birmingham and get another 0-0 draw (or worse lose) and then go on and lose to chelsea (and see chelsea_clinton come here and create 10 new threads about chelsea and how good they are  :p )

So we should play our best team and start our season rolling.

This is my team..... Gerrard has to play right wing. I can't bring myself to watch garcia or pongolle play there anymore...it is just too painful. It really hurts.

Reina
      Finnan    Carra    Hyppia   Warnock
              Alonso  Sissoko  Hamann
            Gerrard                         Risse
                              Crouch
Subs
Carson
Traore
Garcia
Cisse
Pongolle

- Drop Garcia because he needs a kick up his a$$.  Shocking performance against the scums.

- Drop Cisse because, lets face it. Cisse and Rafa has major issues. Even when Cisse was coming on to replace crouch, you can see he was ignoring rafa's instructions to him. Cisse won't be here in January.

- Gerrard & Risse to concerntrate on attacking only and putting in crosses for crouch. Should be able to score a few goals.

- With the defence we have and a 3 men central midfield, birmingham won't even get into our penalty box.

Lets start our season rolling against birmingham .....  :buttrock

I see you want a 4-3-3 formation . Very attacking.Good .
But I wouldnt use Hamann there. I would save him for Chelsea. Hamann has shown improvement a good reason for extending his contract. I agree with you if we start like this:

Reina

Finann         Cara            Hypia             Traore

Gerrard                 Alonso            Sissoko

Ponggole            Ciise               Riise

Though I prefer Gerrard in the centre and Finann on the right mid field. But I go for Gerrard there in this formation coz Gerrad, Alonso and Sissoko has the energy to cover the whole midfield area for full 90mins. So I dont worry the trio will be penetrated by Birmingham

Even like this Finann can give support on the right while Gerrrad move forward to the centre.  In fact this is would be the best formation with all our best players. 

I would want to sell Ciise. I would rather sell Crouch and Morientes. Morientes is an inury prone player. Whereas Crouch hasn't shown any calliber better than Ciise. The only reason he is playing/starting is because Rafa had already bought him and he has to play him for a while and see whether the lad fits in otherwise declare him injured and put him on the bench  :D
hobbes

Postby NiftyNeil » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:51 am

I think Momo should start in the next match. This would give Alonso more freedom to get forward and have more of an influence.

Reina
Finnan        Carra                   Hyypia           Warnock
                             Sissoko

Garcia              Alonso                 Riise

Gerrard
                             Crouch
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:33 pm

personally, i'd drop garcia to the bench for this one and play pongolle upfront with crouch to run onto crouch's flick on's.

reina

finnan         carragher       hyypia        warnock

gerrard        alonso           sissoko        riise

pongolle         crouch

with crouch starting the majority of games we need decent delivery from wide. gerrard is the best crosser of a ball we have. he put one world class free kick in yesterday which nobody attacked. let me emphasise that playing gerrard on the right is only in a 4-4-2 system until january.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:23 pm

Team:

Reina

Finnan  Hyypia  Carragher  Warnock

Sissoko  Alonso

Pongolle    Gerrard     Zenden

Crouch

Subs

Cisse
Garcia