Bellamy has gone - (finally)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:18 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:
peewee wrote:sad to see him go to be honest, not many people like playing against him

same here...thought he was a handy player. But it was a good bit of business and he's not bad mouthed the club either, which some were expecting.

Wait for it!  :D

well his first press conference has been and gone....so far nothing but praise for liverpool and Rafa.....however that might change i guess
Last edited by 7_Kewell on Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:04 pm

Most fans had a feeling he was a stop gap striker till Rafa had the funds to buy "quality".
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:09 pm

i tink he has left with a lot of dignity and has said all the right things in the press about first team football and the like

but what the undertone was that he reveled in his time here and has left a better player, i would have thought less of him if he wanted to sit on the bench and take the money but he is desperate to play and be a big fish again, best of luck to him imo

a am laying a bet the nowty little get scores against us though :p
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:11 pm

kunilson wrote:how much "compensation" did he squeeze out of us?

I think he asked for a new set of golf clubs as Riise had broken his best club :D

I can't say I am sorry to see him go, but as others have said he may have needed another season to really show what he had to offer.

I presume the "golf club incident" played a part in that decision.
account deleted by request

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:19 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:
peewee wrote:sad to see him go to be honest, not many people like playing against him

same here...thought he was a handy player. But it was a good bit of business and he's not bad mouthed the club either, which some were expecting.

Wait for it!  :D

well his first press conference has been and gone....so far nothing but praise for liverpool and Rafa.....however that might change i guess

It's still early days yet...wait for it! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:27 pm

When it comes to football I wasn't dissapointed by Bellamy's football to be honest. He was quite used, as far as I could see, never saw him being lazy over the pitch, cannot blame him much to be honest.

When it comes to outside the pitch, the only oficial thing I know is that he was fined, I don't know well the truth of the golf club incident, I don't know anything but rumours, so I can't have a decent opinion about that.

I don't know if the reason so that he leaves has been football reason or otherwise, we'll have to wait to what Rafa says and what the player says. Hopefully there won't exist a war of quotes in the press now, because that's what the press needs to try to unsettle us.

Best of lucks to the welsh man in the future.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ade » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:28 pm

Not sorry to see him go. Never thought he was a Liverpool player.

Fair bit of business on Rafa's part. From what i've seen of the transfer ins and outs so far, he's right on course to turn us into serious contenders

That should be 'ins and out and targets'. One striker ain't gonna do it :D
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:30 pm

Glad to see the back of him, I could never really warm to him and I never thought he had the quality to be a Liverpool player.

I cant see him staying at West Ham long either
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:38 pm

I just hope he doesn't send abusive text messages to Gerrard...  :D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:41 pm

I can't help thinking that he's a much better player than many are giving him credit for. I have a nagging feeling that his sale may be one that will come back to haunt us a bit, and I would be very surprised indeed if Voronin is anywhere near as good as the Welshman.
Obviously not knowing the bloke it's hard to really have a handle on what he is like to be in a team with, although my suspicion is that he's probably a little sh!t when all said and done. That said though, sevon-iron apart he did little wrong here other than have for him, a fairly quiet season. His attitude and workrate when given the opportunity were absolutely first-class I thought. I wonder if he had been given the chances to impress that some of his predecessors were (and I am referring to one illustrious import from Spain in particular, who we seemingly took an eternity before we finally admitted he was a dud) what sort of impact he would have had.
I wish the bloke well, he's a good player.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:45 pm

(and I am referring to one illustrious import from Spain in particular, who we seemingly took an eternity before we finally admitted he was a dud)

I think he's talking about Morientes -- Sabre whispers. :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:51 pm

Shipping Bellamy out is as strong a statement of intent as signing Torres, in my book.  He's a striker with talent and a good work rate who, if I'm honest, probably did enough to earn another season with us.  Indeed, had Gillett and Hicks not arrived, he would still be a Liverpool player, IMO.  The fact that he's been shown the door, though, indicates that we are no longer going to settle for 'good' players when we have the possibility of signing great (or potentially great) players in the same position.  Bellamy epitomizes the kind of player we had to settle for before the new owners arrived--good enough to be key players in sides competing for the UEFA Cup berths but not quite of the required calibre for title contenders.  But the days of simply making do in the transfer market may be drawing to a close.  I expect there will be a few more players of Bellamy's calibre out the door over the course of the next season or so, as Rafa looks to strengthen in other areas of the pitch.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:52 pm

:D Indeed Sabes I am, although probably people would point to Nando's unquestionably impressive record in the Champions League as the reason behind him being given more chances than most, and I suppose it's just about fair enough. I just think Bellamy is a classic example of a player who was rotated so much it completely fecked around with his mind-set. As he never really ever got going, we can't put him in the same bracket as Crouch, who went from being in the form of his life to having the confidence rotated out of him in the space of about three weeks. I really hope that our manager is a good learner and that this time, he will give us and the players a chance.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:42 pm

Bad Bob wrote:The fact that he's been shown the door, though, indicates that we are no longer going to settle for 'good' players when we have the possibility of signing great (or potentially great) players in the same position.

voronin    ???

:D
112-1077774096

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:50 pm

peewee wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:The fact that he's been shown the door, though, indicates that we are no longer going to settle for 'good' players when we have the possibility of signing great (or potentially great) players in the same position.

voronin    ???

:D

I knew someone would bring him up!  :D  In all seriousness, didn't we have an agreement to sign him set up before Hicks and Gillett took over?  Maybe we were obligated to follow through?  Or, maybe he's a great player in disguise?  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion