Attacking option

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Effes » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:27 pm

Scottbot wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:Arshavin and Silva are like chalk and cheese.

......... Neither is blazing quick but both have a trick or two and both players are small, diminutive types. I'd be delighted to have either one but it ain't gonna happen unfortunately   :(

Scott - didn't you think he showed blistering pace when he ripped Bayer Leverkusen apart
when they won 4-1 away in the UEFA Cup?
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rockthekop » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:33 pm

I'm not bashing Kuyt at all.  I like the guy but all I'm saying is he's not going to trouble any full-backs.
Rockthekop

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:02 pm

Effes wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
GYBS wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
GYBS wrote:Well last nights game highlighted one thing for me and something i have been discussing with various people over the summer - We still lack someone with the ability to play in a wider area who can create something for us and help unlock defences . babel coming back will strengthen us more but will still need a arshavin or a silva type player and not spend 18 bloody mil on barry another dm .

Arshavin and Silva are like chalk and cheese.

but both can create and provide great attacking options from both a wider and central area - something we lack bar gerrard .

You said we needed  width then suggested Arseshaving.

Classic falling for the hype transfer demand.

Leon, if you hadn't seen Arshavin before the Euro's you might well think it's all "hype" surrounding him.

I couldn't think of anyone (around the Barry fee) who would be more
ideal to play in Kuyt or Babel's position.

He has tremendous pace, can score goals and has a great eye for a pass. Plus, he can beat people easily.

Arshavin is a big fish in a small pond . He won't succeed in a bigger a club and a more aggressive and fast pace league like the premier league
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:20 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
Effes wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
GYBS wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
GYBS wrote:Well last nights game highlighted one thing for me and something i have been discussing with various people over the summer - We still lack someone with the ability to play in a wider area who can create something for us and help unlock defences . babel coming back will strengthen us more but will still need a arshavin or a silva type player and not spend 18 bloody mil on barry another dm .

but both can create and provide great attacking options from both a wider and central area - something we lack bar gerrard .

Leon, if you hadn't seen Arshavin before the Euro's you might well think it's all "hype" surrounding him.

He has tremendous pace, can score goals and has a great eye for a pass. Plus, he can beat people easily.

Arshavin is a big fish in a small pond . He won't succeed in a bigger a club and a more aggressive and fast pace league like the premier league

who told you that? have u seen him play in the epl?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby mart » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:54 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
Effes wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
GYBS wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

The russian league is a lot better than you think. I'm pretty sure arshavin would do well in any league.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:28 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
Effes wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
GYBS wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

who told you that? have u seen him play in the epl?

Well lets see , he struggled to make an impact when russia played spain . He may have had a good game against the dutch but their defense is not as strong but when he played against quality defenders like puyol and sergio ramos , you could see he did not get much joy and those are defenders playing in a slow league like the spainish league , just imagine if he was playing against someone like ashley cole who could match him stride for stride . 20 million for arshavin who has had once good uefa cup run and 2 good games in the euro? Sounds like salif diao and diouf all over again . If he was that good why have not any top team bought him yet?
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:29 pm

mart wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
Effes wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
GYBS wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

The russian league is a lot better than you think. I'm pretty sure arshavin would do well in any league.

IF their league was that good , they'd be doing better in other competitions such as the champions league .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:19 am

Toffeehater wrote:
mart wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
Effes wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
GYBS wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

IF their league was that good , they'd be doing better in other competitions such as the champions league .

Champions league is incredibly biased towards the big leagues. Zenith just won the UEFA cup but ofcourse its not as big a deal as the champions league.

There is quite a lot of money in the russian league now.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby LegBarnes » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:26 am

stmichael wrote:I hate the word "winger", it applies that anyone who plays out wide is a winger.

Yes but that is what we need ST.  :D

We need a winger as in some one that plays on the wings.

I dunno what else you want diagram ?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?....rl=http
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:43 am

mart wrote:The russian league is a lot better than you think. I'm pretty sure arshavin would do well in any league.

Since the CL became overloaded with English, Italian, Spanish etc non-champions, the Russians and other countries have not surprisingly struggled in it.

I wouldn't touch Arshavin simply because he's 'hot news' at the moment and you'll end up paying over the odds, as spudz are reportedly finding as they struggle to agree a fee.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby callaway360 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:08 am

i think babbel is fine on the left wing whilst someone like david bently would be great on the right,.. anyone else agree or think of anyone better?
we love yu liverpool we do,
OOOH LIVERPOOL WE LOVE YU
callaway360

Postby RedBlood » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:30 pm

i dont think the wide areas are a big problem once we get our full squad back

we could play the formation we played last season but with keane behind torres and babel and gerrard either side interchanging, i think this could be a devastating attack

but i do feel if we are going to play 4 4 2 we cannot play gerrard and babel on the wings because you would take too much of their game away
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:34 pm

RedBlood wrote:i dont think the wide areas are a big problem once we get our full squad back

we could play the formation we played last season but with keane behind torres and babel and gerrard either side interchanging, i think this could be a devastating attack

but i do feel if we are going to play 4 4 2 we cannot play gerrard and babel on the wings because you would take too much of their game away

dandy.. we'll win it this year then...  play gerrard, babel and keane out of position.. that should do the trick !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:09 pm

Owzat wrote:
mart wrote:The russian league is a lot better than you think. I'm pretty sure arshavin would do well in any league.

Since the CL became overloaded with English, Italian, Spanish etc non-champions, the Russians and other countries have not surprisingly struggled in it.

I wouldn't touch Arshavin simply because he's 'hot news' at the moment and you'll end up paying over the odds, as spudz are reportedly finding as they struggle to agree a fee.

I agree that he is probably overpriced as "hot news" atm. But when you look at what we paid for Keane and the general trend for transfers its hard to find anyone that isnt overpriced. Especially if you are looking for top quality attacking players.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Rockthekop » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:28 pm

There is a huge gulf in class between our very average wide players compared to the quality Man Utd and Chelsea possess. Babel is the only good wide man we have, and he's a striker! Hopefully Dossena proves to a good buy, we have no room for any more average dross.  We are still a few quality players short as per usual.

Evra, Gary Neville, Nani, Ronaldo, JSP

Cole, Bosingwa, J.Cole, SWP, Malouda

Aurelio, Arbeloa, Benayoun, Kuyt, Pennant (not good enough for the 1st 11)
Rockthekop

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion