Attacking options

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Avi Cohen » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:55 pm

I'd take a Jay Spearing over a Cristiano Ronaldo any day of the week. That might sound like Scum bashing (and it is a little) but one of the many many reasons I love Liverpool is that we've always had a low number of :censored: in the team. We've had real players, men of character. [U] And not just on the pitch.

We'd never sign a Nani or a Cahill or Van Persie.

Someone is about to tell me we tried to sign one of the above, right?  :D
AND HERE COMES AVI COHEN!! OH I SAY - AT THE SAME END HE'S GOT ONE BACK!!!!!!!!!!
Avi Cohen

Postby Avi Cohen » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:58 pm

GYBS wrote:Not sure about local lads coming through - how many of real quality have come through bar the obvious ones in the last ten years ? Gerrard,Owen,Carra,Rooney before that there was robbie and macca but bar them there hasnt been much success .

How many of them have been given a real chance, though. A real chance. Not two poxy games in the Carling Cup and then back to the reserves.
AND HERE COMES AVI COHEN!! OH I SAY - AT THE SAME END HE'S GOT ONE BACK!!!!!!!!!!
Avi Cohen

Postby GYBS » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:58 pm

Im sorry mate but Spearing isnt fit to wipe the :censored: of Fake Ronaldos boot and would take him in a flash- i just want quality in the team - where they come from i dont care . If they are local and have the quality then brilliant but not going to sacrafice quality over a local lad with passion .
Last edited by GYBS on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:00 pm

Avi Cohen wrote:
GYBS wrote:Not sure about local lads coming through - how many of real quality have come through bar the obvious ones in the last ten years ? Gerrard,Owen,Carra,Rooney before that there was robbie and macca but bar them there hasnt been much success .

How many of them have been given a real chance, though. A real chance. Not two poxy games in the Carling Cup and then back to the reserves.

Its the old adage mate - if they are good enough they will play - Of the local lads that have been in reserves and that have left how many have gone on to prove rafa wrong ? Potter ? Peltier ? just to name two recently .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:02 pm

would have liked a world class if not than euro class right midfielder..
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:03 pm

Avi Cohen wrote:I'd take a Jay Spearing over a Cristiano Ronaldo any day of the week. That might sound like Scum bashing (and it is a little) but one of the many many reasons I love Liverpool is that we've always had a low number of :censored: in the team. We've had real players, men of character. [U] And not just on the pitch.

We'd never sign a Nani or a Cahill or Van Persie.

Someone is about to tell me we tried to sign one of the above, right?  :D

Jay Spearing? Mate if he was good enough then he would be in the 1st team it's as simple as that.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Avi Cohen » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:04 pm

That's fair enough. Right now. He's only been given a small shot and needs a few games to get going. Rafa wouldn't play him at all if he didn't think there was potential. But potential needs to be nurtured and playing time is essential for that. We got to think long term.

Going back to what I was saying about character - Would Shanks sign a Ronaldo? Would Tommy Smith be able to resist kicking him up and down Melwood?

I just want players who love - and I mean love - the club, not 'we'll see what this is like for a few seasons, make a name for myself and hope someone bigger will sign me and put my name on a boot.'
Avi Cohen

Postby Avi Cohen » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:05 pm

Maybe I'm a dinosaur thinking this way and that the game has moved on. But is that for the better?
Avi Cohen

Postby GYBS » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:09 pm

Not a dinosaur at all mate and its good that someone holds the old values but yeah unfortunatly the game has moved on and so has fans expectations - people want results now not in the future - i think in the background with the ressies rafa is getting youngsters for the future - they just got to be given time to develop . and with them being signed at 16-17 they learn to love the club. even look at Pepe,Torres,Masher - they love the club now . And think shanks would sign ronaldo but he would of kicked the arrogance out of the fecker thou .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:10 pm

Avi Cohen wrote:That's fair enough. Right now. He's only been given a small shot and needs a few games to get going. Rafa wouldn't play him at all if he didn't think there was potential. But potential needs to be nurtured and playing time is essential for that. We got to think long term.

Going back to what I was saying about character - Would Shanks sign a Ronaldo? Would Tommy Smith be able to resist kicking him up and down Melwood?

I just want players who love - and I mean love - the club, not 'we'll see what this is like for a few seasons, make a name for myself and hope someone bigger will sign me and put my name on a boot.'

Would Shanks sign Ronaldo? I dont know but I know Phil Thomson wouldn't sign him. Who did we go for instead? I cant remember. I remember we also turned down the chance to sign Roberto Carlos and instead went for Steve Staunton. :laugh:

Yes talent does need to be nurtured but before that the talent needs to shine through in its raw form. Rooney, Walcott, Owen, Fowler all these players were a class above the rest right from the start. Our current crop are not even good enough to lace the boots of these mentioned.   :laugh:
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Avi Cohen » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:11 pm

GYBS wrote:Not a dinosaur at all mate and its good that someone holds the old values but yeah unfortunatly the game has moved on and so has fans expectations - people want results now not in the future - i think in the background with the ressies rafa is getting youngsters for the future - they just got to be given time to develop . and with them being signed at 16-17 they learn to love the club. even look at Pepe,Torres,Masher - they love the club now . And think shanks would sign ronaldo but he would of kicked the arrogance out of the fecker thou .

You're right. I think I'm just in a bad mood.
Avi Cohen

Postby GYBS » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:12 pm

thats ok Avi - your just like my uncle - old school and old traditions - nothing wrong with that .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben1988 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:13 pm

Surely player who come to liverpool dont think ill go here untill someone bigger signs them as you put it becos there arent many places bigger and more established.

Yes the foreign players come in with great intentions of making aname for themselves and end up not enjoying the country, the league or simply not being able to hack the pace, dont fulfill their potential and move on. I dont think its about their attitude towards the club more they are not good enough.

Id of loved an world class winger come in this year. I we had bought Reira and someone down the right for 20-25 mil and stook with our full backs we may be doing better. How much I dont no as we are joint top and nearly through in europe...

KEEP THE FAITH YNWA
Ben1988

Postby Avi Cohen » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:14 pm

GYBS wrote:thats ok Avi - your just like my uncle - old school and old traditions - nothing wrong with that .

I'm only 31, though!  :D
Avi Cohen

Postby GYBS » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:14 pm

Avi Cohen wrote:
GYBS wrote:thats ok Avi - your just like my uncle - old school and old traditions - nothing wrong with that .

I'm only 31, though!  :D

Jesus your younger than me - yeah you are a moaning young git then  :D
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion