Attacking football - The liverpool way

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:56 am

heimdall wrote:
stmichael wrote:
Boocity wrote:Did anyone see what Bilic said about our system on MOTD2 last night, didn't see it but heard he talked sense. Anyone know what he said.

was talking about our reluctance to get our fullbacks forward. yesterday that was true but it's not a criticism that can be labelled at us all season. carragher isn't a fullback and so is always going to go for the safety first option and pass it square when he gets past the half way line. as for insua, only gerrard has got more assists in our side this season.

Completely agree so why the feck is Rafa playing him at RB when we could have Degan (assuming he is fit).  No don't laugh, I genuinely think Degan or one of the many many youngsters would offer far more going forward and Degan's not that bad at defending, certainly Cara is not as comfortable at RB as he is CB and offers sod all in an attacking sense.

Plus what the hell has happened to Insua, I was singing his praises last season for his forward runs but this season he has been awful, another case of Rafa's inspirational man-management prowess maybe.

I think Rafa is so scared of losing and can see that with Carra at RB we've stopped conceding goals.

PREMIERSHIP 09/10

Games 01-09 : P9 W5 D0 L4 F22 A13 PTS 15
Games 10-18 : P9 W3 D3 L3 F12 A12 PTS 12
Games 19-27 : P9 W5 D3 L1 F9 A2 PTS 18

So Rafa feels vindicated because we've conceded only two goals recently with Carra at RB. You can see why the thread on Johnson and how him being out could be concluded given our results since he last played (game 20) have taken an upward turn

But at what cost? We've ground out results at best, not beaten Stoke, Wolves or Man City when we should have been much more positive in trying to, and in those last nine games we've won only once away at villa. Since our home defeat to Arsenal in the league we've won all five home games and that is pretty much what our form is :

LAST SIX HOME/AWAY

Home : P6 W5 D0 L1 F10 A3 PTS 15
Away : P6 W1 D3 L2 F2 A4 PTS 6

Away defeat at pompey, draws at Stoke, Citeh and Wolves which perhaps highlights where we should have been looking at 2-4 wins and also some SCS's look at fixtures should take into account. A lack of adventure bringing us more defensive stability but we need wins and with Carra at RB, Mascherano and Lucas in midfield then we're putting too many workmen into the side. Kuyt is better than some people give him credit for, but he could do with help from his full-back in terms of creating chances more than scoring them (nine goals in 27 apps)

Do the goals scored this season between Mascherano, Lucas, Riera, Agger, Skrtel, Insua, Carragher, Aquilani and Rodriguez exceed the goals scored by Benayoun or Gerrard? Same question for assists
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:32 am

Owzat wrote:Do the goals scored this season between Mascherano, Lucas, Riera, Agger, Skrtel, Insua, Carragher, Aquilani and Rodriguez exceed the goals scored by Benayoun or Gerrard? Same question for assists

Well as I made the point earlier, only Gerrard has more assists than Insua for us this season. Whether that's a good or bad thing I don't know. Insua has always been decent enough going forward, but I want my defenders to defend first and foremost. His positioning is still poor at times and he struggles in a one on one situation.

Riera scored six or seven last season and had a few assists aswell. Unfortunately this season he's been blighted by injury so has been in and out of the side. Same for Benayoun. Last season we were fortunate that Dirk excelled himself both on the goals and assists front. This season he has struggled for form in large spells. Due to these wide players chipping in regularly we could get away with our central midfield not really scoring regularly (even though Alonso had the ability to score more goals than he did). I don't see United's midfield scoring regularly. I think Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes and Anderson probably have 5 between them. Rooney has virtually carried that side singlhandedly at times.

The defence aren't enough of a threat though I agree and that's where we fall down. We don't have a Terry or a Vidic. Skrtel's header the other day was a prime example of somebody who's not fully comfortable in that situation. I also remember Agger missing an absolute sitter away at Pompey. Those are the sort of goals I'd like to see him getting from set pieces rather than smashing in a 30 yarder every now and again.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Boocity » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:52 am

I think the best way to ensure ALL teams play attacking football is to change the points system.

Loss - 0 points
No Score Draw - 0 Points
Score Draw - 1 point
Win - 3 Points

That would stop negative tactics like we have seen from us against both Arsenal and City and would also stop teams coming to Anfield and parking the bus in front of goal.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:52 pm

No excuses this weekend, we are at home against Blackburn.

Im not saying we should win 6-0 or anything but we need to put on a performance and not be afraid to attack and have a few shots every now and again
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:55 pm

We should be attacking, we could do with a big margin, but what odds we have a side that looks more like we're playing away from home with two DMs and full-backs out wide in midfield?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:01 pm

I really dont see the pint of playing to defensive mid at home to Blackburn, if he dosent give Aqua a start on Sunday then he may just put him up for sale because the whole episode has been a waste of time
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Two defensive mids ? Last night it just seemed one dm with lucas higher up alongside gerrard a lot of the time .

Also what is more important - results or attacking football ?! Arsenal supposedly play wonder perfect football yet win nothing . I know which I prefer - winning ugly and boring beats loosing or drawing with lovely attacking football
Benny The Noon

Postby Dundalk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:12 pm

Yeah against a team from fecking Romania!!

And winning is more important but as Ive sais before we are Liverpool Football Club and we should not settle for boring football, we should be setting an example and not just scrapping to keep up with the rest.

And for the record Arsenal are playing good football and winning nothing since 2005

We are playing muck and having won anything since 2006

Not much of a difference!
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:29 pm

Well the fact we are Liverpool Football Club is lost on a number of people these days anyway so what difference does it makes over the last 20 odd years seen us play utter toilet many many times -we have always been known for our results as opposed to being a wonderful football playing side - many many many times over the years during our successes we used to grind down the oppo then sneak off with 1 nil win from a rushie goal - yes we had periods of great attacking play but Liverpool Football Club was built on solid foundations at the back and keeping the ball , as the great man himself said "If you have the ball then they aren't going to score "
Benny The Noon

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Liverpool Football Club was built on solid foundations at the back and keeping the ball , as the great man himself said "If you have the ball then they aren't going to score "

???

Unless of course you have someone like Carragher, Riise and others too numorous to mention in your side.   

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:45 pm

Well there is that off course  :laugh:
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:47 pm

Well there is that off course  :laugh:
Benny The Noon

Postby Dundalk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:04 pm

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has called on the side to show "a bit of bottle" when it comes to attacking.

Despite improving what was a poor defensive record by their standards over recent weeks, critics still complain the Reds do not have enough going forward to really hurt sides.

"It was slightly worrying that we were not creating enough," said the England international.

"To win football matches you have got to create a lot of chances and we did that in Romania"

"That's what made last night so pleasing. Now we've got to get the balance right between now and the end of the season.

"We haven't been good enough going forward and we haven't been creating enough, so it was nice to get three goals.

"It does play on your mind. The most important thing is to defend well and keep clean sheets but it is also important that you do well going forward.

"I think we have shown over the last few games that we are back to defending well and are more solid and are working harder and results have improved.

"We've still got to be good defensively but have a bit of bottle and be a bit risky in the final third as well. You have got to keep making chances."

Fair play to him at least he is saying we have been very poor as an attacking force recently - we need to improve
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leep33 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:26 am

I agree but it looks like most of our players are now going to be fit for the run in, so hopefully with Glen Johnson back and Torres fit we will be more of an attacking force.
leep33

Postby Dundalk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:37 pm

More $*i*e football tonight and the same against Wigan the other night

Its depressing to watch
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion