Attacking options

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GYBS » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:02 pm

Had a pretty heavy discussion elsewhere about priority of who we should of spent big money on during last summer - ie 20 mil on a striker or 20 mil on an attacking midfielder. I spent all summer saying that it should of gone on the attacking mid and still feel that way know considering we spent 20 mil on keane

What did people think during the summer about a big money signing and if you could would you go back and blow the 20 mil on an attacking mid ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:14 pm

I'd like to see El Zhar given more time on the pitch, he's done ok in his limited chances this season and arguably helped win two games. I wonder how much better N'Gog might have looked last game if he'd had more than a couple of appearances to his name.

We do need more creativity and then having strikers who score other than Torres would come into play. For some reason Rafa seems to shy away from flair players, instead we could have spent near '20 mil' on Barney :D We paid £20m for RobKeaneho and his "proven Premiership" status and price tag has yet to yield good returns, so in a sense that proved to be more of a gamble than we thought - even those who thought it was a lot for a 28 year old who was not exactly prolific even if his scoring record is good.

Wasting a combined £10m on Dossena and Cavalieri never helps
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:17 pm

I wanted a central attacking mid/creative second striker in the summer .....and for the last few years!!! Which was why I was disappointed when we signed Keane.

I would have liked us to have gone for Diego a genuine creative player who can create AND score goals.

As I have said many many times before on here, almost all great teams have had one, and we need one. StJohn, Keegan,Dalglish, Beardsley.

If I could get our £20million back I would sign Diego and Owen and a large tin of metal polish because we would need it at the end of the season.
account deleted by request

Postby Owzat » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:24 pm

s@int wrote:I wanted a central attacking mid/creative second striker in the summer .....and for the last few years!!! Which was why I was disappointed when we signed Keane.

I would have liked us to have gone for Diego a genuine creative player who can create AND score goals.

As I have said many many times before on here, almost all great teams have had one, and we need one. StJohn, Keegan,Dalglish, Beardsley.

If I could get our £20million back I would sign Diego and Owen and a large tin of metal polish because we would need it at the end of the season.

Help us Owen Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope.

£20m is gone S@int, long since shot down the pan. The only way we'll get that back is if Keane ever repays it which at current rate will mean he retires at 50
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:25 pm

Is diego now at Bremen ? was very good last time i saw him. I really wanted either Silva (plays both wide (both sides) and through the middle supporting striker) or Arshavin.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:33 pm

Diego is still at Bremen , reason I like him is he makes AND scores a lot of goals. 31 goals in 70 games for Bremen.

Postby Owzat » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:35 pm

s@int wrote:Diego is still at Bremen , reason I like him is he makes AND scores a lot of goals. 31 goals in 70 games for Bremen.

My colleague hypes him up, although he is merely talking in CM / FM terms rather than real football. He reckons he's a brazilian with an Italian passport, not that we've not had problems with work permits before
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:35 pm

yeah remember when he was highly touted around
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:08 pm

What about Aimar? Im surprised Rafa hasnt made attempts to bring him in the whole time he has been here. Did he not get on well with at Valencia or what?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:17 pm

Cracking little player, but maybe a little lightweight for the prem? He doesn't get many goals either Bav. Not sure how Rafa feels about him, he didn't play him too often when they were both at Valencia , but Aimar had a lot of injuries too.

Postby Spartan1985 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:43 pm

I think we need another quality midfielder to chip in 10-15 goals a season and as many assists. Other than Gerrard we don't have any other Midfielders who chip in consistent goals or assists. Rieira is coming along well but I'm not sure how many assists he has yet. One world class right midfielder/winger I think would make a world of difference.
Spartan1985

Postby Avi Cohen » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:38 pm

Why is everyone's first reaction to go foreign? Just because a guy has a vowel on the end of his name, it doesn't mean he's great. Remember Mirandinha?

I'm from Ireland and not local, but I still think a team is a better team with a few local lads. They bring team spirit. If Roma signed me, do you think I've give as much mentally as a player who grew up in the city and supported them as a boy? No.

Once JC and Steve G are gone, who else have we got? Surely there can't be that much of a dip in English/Liverpool talent in the last ten years. It seems that our - and most other team's - scouts first reaction is to look abroad. I can't believe that there is no one - no one at all - knocking about the city that's worth a go. Give the local guys, guys who would die on the pitch for their team, a chance and stop spending ridiculous amounts of cash on foreign players who may be no better than ones we've got under our noses.

I like Babel, but would it be any skin off his (or Lucas or Arbeloa or Voronin or...) nose if he was sold to Barcelona or Juventus or Lyon or whoever?

Disclaimer - this isn't a 'Johnny foreigner out' or a 'local team for local people' campaign. Foreign players have always been integral part to this club's success. It'd break my heart if Alonso left; I want to see Sammi stay with the club in some shape or form; and that kid El Zhar looks like he's going to be something special.
AND HERE COMES AVI COHEN!! OH I SAY - AT THE SAME END HE'S GOT ONE BACK!!!!!!!!!!
Avi Cohen

Postby GYBS » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:41 pm

Who are the local lads we could of got that would do the job for us thou mate ? english talent - is either A.Not good enough B. Too bloody expensive .C Very thin on the ground . Hence why we had to pay 20 mil for keane when he is prob only worth half that .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Avi Cohen » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:46 pm

It's a fair point. I'm not a professional scout and wouldn't know where to start looking. I'm not trained to do that.

Professional scouts are, though. This is their job.

I don't know any local lads. But Stevie G was found. So was JC. Rooney. It happens and can happen again - if you're concentrating on looking in the right places.

I don't know why young lads might be expensive. Here's the positives of local lads: team spirit, won't need any of that 'getting used to the premiership pace wankology, no one will feel homesick, and it will continue a tradition that, in my book, is very important to the future of the club.
AND HERE COMES AVI COHEN!! OH I SAY - AT THE SAME END HE'S GOT ONE BACK!!!!!!!!!!
Avi Cohen

Postby GYBS » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:49 pm

yeah totally understand your point mate - but then look at how much people like Bale and Walcott cost ? 20 odd mil between them .

Not sure about local lads coming through - how many of real quality have come through bar the obvious ones in the last ten years ? Gerrard,Owen,Carra,Rooney before that there was robbie and macca but bar them there hasnt been much success . Im sure there will be some come through if they are good enough . Think one of the main probs thou is the youngsters from abroad are apparently more techinally better than english counter parts at the same age with the way they are trained as a youngster - for foriegn guys its all ball work and skill whereas for english lads its all teamwork based.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion