Riise - Attacking mid?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby EddieC » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:15 pm

I was posting on another forum that the fact Riise can score some screamers doesn't make him a good left back, and it got me thinking. What are Riise's attributes?

Personally I'd say he can tackle & pass relatively well but gets caught out of position too often, isn't that great at beating players and can cross but doesn't get enough in. Doesn't really seem good enough to play left back or left midfield.

On the other hand though, he can hit some screamers from range, and the odd occasions I've seen him shoot from short range he seems pretty comfortable too. Offensively, his positioning seems to be very good, arriving from deep at just the right time, and as mentioned before he's pretty comfortable tackling & passing. These attributes for me would make a pretty good attacking midfielder.

Now I know we already have an abundance of central midfielders, but with Garcia looking likely to go none of the options are at their best in the attacking role. I might have got it completely wrong, but I think Riise could do a job there.

Just my thoughts, any opinions welcome.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:07 pm

EddieC wrote:I was posting on another forum that the fact Riise can score some screamers doesn't make him a good left back, and it got me thinking. What are Riise's attributes?

Personally I'd say he can tackle & pass relatively well but gets caught out of position too often, isn't that great at beating players and can cross but doesn't get enough in. Doesn't really seem good enough to play left back or left midfield.

On the other hand though, he can hit some screamers from range, and the odd occasions I've seen him shoot from short range he seems pretty comfortable too. Offensively, his positioning seems to be very good, arriving from deep at just the right time, and as mentioned before he's pretty comfortable tackling & passing. These attributes for me would make a pretty good attacking midfielder.

Now I know we already have an abundance of central midfielders, but with Garcia looking likely to go none of the options are at their best in the attacking role. I might have got it completely wrong, but I think Riise could do a job there.

Just my thoughts, any opinions welcome.

I'd imagine Riise will have a job getting a game at left midfield with Kewell back to fitness.

For me, he's a wingback - ok defending, ok attacking. He can't do either well enough to be a long-term solution in either position IMHO.

Riise's great strengths are his stamina and power in the shot.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:14 pm

Riise isn't skillful enough to be used as a permanent attacking midfielder. His greatest traits are his strength and athleticism. Apart from his shots he wouldn't create something out of nothing.

I agree with Lando when he says he's best as a wingback. For me, play him against weaker teams or if we need to counter attack. If not, play Aurelio/Arbeloa/Taylor(?).
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:20 pm

I rate Riise more at LB than at LM, TBH.  He's solid and dependable in midfield but doesn't have enough in his locker to make a consistent impact (although he does get in and around the box well).  I prefer seeing him coming forward from LB.  He's a willing runner on the overlap and, when it's two against one down the flank, overlapping as a fullback gives him more space to get a decent cross in (which he needs).  Alternatively, if the LM is in an advanced position down the flank, Riise can ghost infield toward the top of the area to unleash his howitzers.  Defensively, he's solid if prone to the odd lapse in concentration.  He's better as a LB IMHO.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby EddieC » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:37 pm

Bad Bob wrote:I rate Riise more at LB than at LM, TBH.  He's solid and dependable in midfield but doesn't have enough in his locker to make a consistent impact (although he does get in and around the box well).  I prefer seeing him coming forward from LB.  He's a willing runner on the overlap and, when it's two against one down the flank, overlapping as a fullback gives him more space to get a decent cross in (which he needs).  Alternatively, if the LM is in an advanced position down the flank, Riise can ghost infield toward the top of the area to unleash his howitzers.  Defensively, he's solid if prone to the odd lapse in concentration.  He's better as a LB IMHO.

The problem I see with Riise at left back is that he likes to get himself into shooting positions. This is fine when they go in, or even wide or over, but if the keeper saves one it leaves us short at the back.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:54 pm

EddieC wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:I rate Riise more at LB than at LM, TBH.  He's solid and dependable in midfield but doesn't have enough in his locker to make a consistent impact (although he does get in and around the box well).  I prefer seeing him coming forward from LB.  He's a willing runner on the overlap and, when it's two against one down the flank, overlapping as a fullback gives him more space to get a decent cross in (which he needs).  Alternatively, if the LM is in an advanced position down the flank, Riise can ghost infield toward the top of the area to unleash his howitzers.  Defensively, he's solid if prone to the odd lapse in concentration.  He's better as a LB IMHO.

The problem I see with Riise at left back is that he likes to get himself into shooting positions. This is fine when they go in, or even wide or over, but if the keeper saves one it leaves us short at the back.

I agree that he has to choose his moments to go forward carefully.  I also think that's why Rafa likes having Alonso, Mascherano or both back there.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Redrulz(lfc) » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:48 pm

But as a defender his main job is defending and his defending qualities is not for a club like liverpool ???
Redrulz(lfc)

Postby redmikey » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:09 pm

i am always happy to see his name at left back but agree the he is a perfect wing back (or not a great defender or winger)

imho he is a modern footballer, he is an athlete  before he is a footballer, like micra richards at city,

but jar will always be remembered for the best goal against manure from a left pegger , if bartes had touched it , he would have lost his hand
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby EddieC » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:29 pm

But what about in an attacking midfield role?

The way I see it Riise seems to score a lot of goals from range without missing too many, this to me seems to be his key strength. Why play him in a position like left back where he rarely gets the opportunity to shoot? He's pretty good at tackling, but tactically I don't think he's a good defender. He often gets caught on the break, and playing the opposing striker onside. He's not the greatest at taking players on, and can only get a cross in if given time, so not the greatest on the wing. Playing to his strengths I think he would be best playing behind the front men, coming from a bit deeper & banging in screamers from outside the box.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:43 pm

EddieC wrote:Riise seems to score a lot of goals from range without missing too many

he only got 5 goals last season and he had a load more shots than that. Riise's shooting isn't as good as you think. He scores memorable goals and has an ok return for a full back but there's a lot more to playing attacking midfield than shooting.

He isn't skillful, he won't go past players and he won't find killer passes. He might be ok if he played the lampard chelsea role (the entire team built around him to give him space to shoot) but that would mean sacrificing half of the team's strengths. Not a realistic option in my opinion.

Keep him as an attacking full back or defensive left mid.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:04 pm

The Riise debate's been done to death in the past and the general concensus always seems to be that his best position probably would be as a wing back, but considering we don't play that system he can do a solid job at left back or left mid.  A few years back Riise's defensive capabilities were a lot less than they are now, he's definitely improved that side of his game and for that reason, for me he's a better left back than a left mid.

As far as 'attacking midfield' goes (I assume you're talking about attacking central midfield?), I couldn't see it working.  His first touch isn't great, neither is his passing.  He is also prone to being occasionally caught out of position when he plays in wide positions, which would be highlighted even more if he played centrally.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:25 pm

It'd be a disaster if Riise played as an attacking midfielder. He's got none of the required attributes to play there (bar shooting) and the day our best option as an attacking midfielder is John Arne Riise is the day this club has gone to the dogs.

No offense EddieC, I just can't see the logic behind it?
Last edited by LFC #1 on Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:55 pm

John Arne Riise is best at left mid, not good enough as a left back, but because our other options aren't exactly great for that position he looks decent. Got no pace to keep up with the right wingers and isn't the greatest tackler either. IMO if we sold him and got around 8-10 mill I'd be very happy.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby murphy0151 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:17 pm

Not good enough to be a first team starter BUT a good player to have as back up.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby RedorDead » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:32 pm

I love Riise's versatility, he is equally effective at left back or left midfield but not amazing at either. If the rumours are true about Gabrielle Heinze and we do land him then he'd be second choice left back...and if Harry Kewell can finally do what he so often promises to then he'd drop down the pecking order at left mid too.
He is excellent cover and I really do love him as a player, some of his goals just have you stunned in wonder. I would hate for him to leave and hope he never does but I think he might start to find it a little harder to get into the first team.
As for the suggestion he could play attacking midfield in the middle, well I don't think he is that sort of player, the very fact he plays in defence says it all for me, he is just not that type of player and doesn't possess the attributes needed.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion