Attacking, some further thoughts - Yes, another new thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:56 am

Hey all, so for the anoraks out there i got some stats for you, to show that we arent the attacking farce that people are saying.

Firstly lets look at corners... we get a lot of them, actually we get more of them per game than ANY other team in the premiership... need facts as proof? well here u are then:

Average corners for:

Chelsea:    5.6
Man Utd:   5.7
Liverpool:   6.2
Spurs:       5.5
Gooners:   5.6
Bolton:     5.0
(blackburn and nerverton are both on 6.1)

Funnily tho average per game is lower than most... unfortunately i dont have the figures at hand as to why this is... its bizarre, it may have something to do with playign away. When it comes to corners against our team we have the second lowest at 3.6 only beaten by cheatski and there 3.1

Also we should look at red cards... heres a brief record

R   Y 
Chelsea:     2    45
Man Utd:     2   42
Liverpool:    2   37 (this includes the reina debacle)
Spurs:         3  41
Gooners:     2   45

Ok, the ones beating us here are the newbies and charlton

Wigan       2     32
W Ham      1     36 (includes last night)
Charlton    2     31
W Brom    1     33
(birmingham lead the way on only 25 yellow cards... and 7 red lol)

Also our average per game is the lowest out of the top 6 by far.

Its funny how the newer teams dont get as many cards as others. Everyone always thought it was the big teams who got all the decisions.

Anyways, whats the point of this information? Well for starters with more corners than anyone else it shows that we are not boring, that we are attacing more than others and that the strikers are all to blame (hehe sort of joking)
The fact we dont have the highest average per game shows that i think it is our away form that needs upping, we need to take that bull by the horns and give it some.

The bookings issue is just there to show that we aint dirty.

Hope someone oput there finds this sort of interesting and i'll anorak away again soon

:grinning:  :grinning:
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:18 am

The corner thing is something but then it may be nothing. Everynow and then (about every ten years or so) some clever coach dreams up a way of making corners very dangerous. The last one that I can think of is the near post flick on but I might be wrong. After that, all the coaches around the World spend time counteracting the new menace, with the end result that teams who defend properly generally don't concede many goals from corners. They are much easier to defend than a free kick which is arrowed in towards the goal (remember when everyone used to outswing them away from the keeper) and usually goals conceded as a direct result of a corner can be traced back to individual error. This explains why more and more teams try the ball floated to the edge of the box with a guy volleying it etc etc. It doesn't come off very often but neither do you score with a header very often either.
My own feeling is that until the powers that be address the issue of defenders taking armfulls of attackers shirts before the ball is even delivered, corners will remain largely a means of getting the supporters excited.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:29 am

bigmick wrote:The corner thing is something but then it may be nothing.

Let no person say that Bigmick does not take a stand. :laugh:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:33 am

kazza wrote:
bigmick wrote:The corner thing is something but then it may be nothing.

Let no person say that Bigmick does not take a stand. :laugh:

:D morning Laz. Fair play mate you caught me out spouting sh!te again  :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:48 pm

Also, sorry, this is proof that i do actually do a lil research sometimes and not always talk outta my a$$  :p
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:51 pm

dawson99 wrote:Also, sorry, this is proof that i do actually do a lil research sometimes and not always talk outta my a$$  :p

What do you want a gold star for your efforts?
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:53 pm

Yes.
Give Dawson a gold star

But the only stats that matter is league points Im afraid
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:56 pm

murphy0151 wrote:
dawson99 wrote:Also, sorry, this is proof that i do actually do a lil research sometimes and not always talk outta my a$$  :p

murphy murphy murphy, just stating a fact. another fact is that 93.4% of sarcastic people are gay  :p

(i dont think u r one of the 6.6 either)

and cheers taff lol

In all seriousness im just trying to state that a lot of people say we dont attack, ut we do, and we do it fairly, and it deserved a thread
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:24 pm

dawson99 wrote:
murphy0151 wrote:

murphy murphy murphy, just stating a fact. another fact is that 93.4% of sarcastic people are gay  :p

(i dont think u r one of the 6.6 either)

and cheers taff lol

In all seriousness im just trying to state that a lot of people say we dont attack, ut we do, and we do it fairly, and it deserved a thread

:blush:

My secrets out

:hearts

Will you be my valentine

???
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:25 pm

lol... ig nore me today, got toothache and just wanna get to the pub... and yes, i will :laugh:
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:38 pm

bigmick wrote:The corner thing is something but then it may be nothing. Everynow and then (about every ten years or so) some clever coach dreams up a way of making corners very dangerous. The last one that I can think of is the near post flick on but I might be wrong. After that, all the coaches around the World spend time counteracting the new menace, with the end result that teams who defend properly generally don't concede many goals from corners. They are much easier to defend than a free kick which is arrowed in towards the goal (remember when everyone used to outswing them away from the keeper) and usually goals conceded as a direct result of a corner can be traced back to individual error. This explains why more and more teams try the ball floated to the edge of the box with a guy volleying it etc etc. It doesn't come off very often but neither do you score with a header very often either.
My own feeling is that until the powers that be address the issue of defenders taking armfulls of attackers shirts before the ball is even delivered, corners will remain largely a means of getting the supporters excited.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the eighties at the height of our dominance, I seem to remember we always use to take short corners, working the ball out towards the middle of the park. I wonder why not manyteams do that these days. Just a thought  ???
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:40 pm

remember our genius corner last season? we had to retake it as no one saw the original touch. a lot of corners are wasted tho, and with our height it is a disgrace, but i do like to see some variety in the styles of corners. we play a few out to risse or alonso as well but they havent been connecting lately
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:54 pm

dawson do you have any stats on missed chances or crosses not coverted into chances. we would be top of that table !

also just read on another tread "crouch is out good he's W*nk "

without crouch we wouldn,t have had as many corners or attacks and these stats wouldn't be so high, i just wish people would watch the games and stop listening to andy gray or mancs for opinions on our players
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:57 pm

i do like crouch, but i like strikers to score. theres no point crouch holding up play fanbtasic if theres no one to hold it up for. if we had a scorer id love crouch, and i think crouch and fowler WILL work fantastic. today tho im sticking with cisse, i hope he starts and i think he deserves a goal, with stu the red being really mean about him non stop :D
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:03 pm

i'm not a lover of cissie either mate.  he got all the attributes but like collymore just dosn't deliver if he was a race horse they would have shot him by now.

crouch isn't getting in enough goal scoring chances for me at the moment, he dose great work on the deck to hold it up, but then imho he should be turning and making a bee line for the box.

rafa will improve that in his game and he will jibb cissie somewhere, hopefully owen will come back in a exchange deal. i know some don't love owen but that would change after the goal start flying in.
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion