Attacking football

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:40 pm

Article from PremierLeague.com

BENITEZ PUTS OPPOSITION ON RED ALERT

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is relishing the opportunity to play more attacking football now almost all his injured players are back in action.

Benitez fielded his most adventurous side yet as Liverpool beat Newcastle United 3-1 at Anfield, leaving defensive midfielder Dietmar Hamann on the bench and playing with what he described as "six front players with the same mentality".

Liverpool had Luis Garcia back from six games out, and Benitez was able to play two strikers in Milan Baros and Neil Mellor - both of whom scored - with Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso and Harry Kewell attacking from midfield.

The plan worked, as the Reds recovered from an early Patrick Kluivert goal to win with relative comfort.

Benitez, who has struggled to even find a fit striker in recent weeks, now has only Djibril Cisse and Vladimir Smicer out long-term, and looks forward to putting out similarly offensive line-ups in the future.

Liverpool are sixth in the Barclays Premiership and six points behind Manchester United, who currently occupy the fourth Champions League qualification spot.

Benitez said: "We are able to now field six forward-minded players who have the same attacking mentality. To do that you must keep the ball well, and it has given me another option for the future.

"I will not always be able to play like that, but with most of our players now back from injury, it is something I can consider more in the future."

Milan Baros has urged Rafael Benitez to stick with the attacking 4-4-2 formation that proved so effective in Sunday's 3-1 defeat of Newcastle. 
The Czech striker capped a man-of-the-match performance with Liverpool's third goal in the convincing win and he's hoping the manager adopts similar tactics in the future.

"My confidence is high and I am scoring goals. I always felt I needed someone beside me up front and today I had this," said Baros, who also set up a goal for strike partner Neil Mellor.

"I enjoy playing a more offensive 4-4-2 formation because it suits my play more - you could see how it went for me. But it is not up to me, it is up to the manager."
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby dawson99 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:42 pm

Baros played so much better in the 4 4 2 position. our wingers were dragging everyone else out of it and baros was given room to roam, and with his pace he caused carnage. Its fantastic to see such agressive offensive football and long let it continue
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:47 pm

if we can sort out the defence..........we would be world class.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby who the hell is diarra » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:31 am

A.B. wrote:Article from PremierLeague.com

BENITEZ PUTS OPPOSITION ON RED ALERT

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is relishing the opportunity to play more attacking football now almost all his injured players are back in action.

Benitez fielded his most adventurous side yet as Liverpool beat Newcastle United 3-1 at Anfield, leaving defensive midfielder Dietmar Hamann on the bench and playing with what he described as "six front players with the same mentality".

Liverpool had Luis Garcia back from six games out, and Benitez was able to play two strikers in Milan Baros and Neil Mellor - both of whom scored - with Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso and Harry Kewell attacking from midfield.

The plan worked, as the Reds recovered from an early Patrick Kluivert goal to win with relative comfort.

Benitez, who has struggled to even find a fit striker in recent weeks, now has only Djibril Cisse and Vladimir Smicer out long-term, and looks forward to putting out similarly offensive line-ups in the future.

Liverpool are sixth in the Barclays Premiership and six points behind Manchester United, who currently occupy the fourth Champions League qualification spot.

Benitez said: "We are able to now field six forward-minded players who have the same attacking mentality. To do that you must keep the ball well, and it has given me another option for the future.

"I will not always be able to play like that, but with most of our players now back from injury, it is something I can consider more in the future."

Milan Baros has urged Rafael Benitez to stick with the attacking 4-4-2 formation that proved so effective in Sunday's 3-1 defeat of Newcastle. 
The Czech striker capped a man-of-the-match performance with Liverpool's third goal in the convincing win and he's hoping the manager adopts similar tactics in the future.

"My confidence is high and I am scoring goals. I always felt I needed someone beside me up front and today I had this," said Baros, who also set up a goal for strike partner Neil Mellor.

"I enjoy playing a more offensive 4-4-2 formation because it suits my play more - you could see how it went for me. But it is not up to me, it is up to the manager."

A decent thread languishing on page 3 buried under 40 Morientes threads
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby who the hell is diarra » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:36 am

For a couple of weeks we had to play to our limitations out muscling opponents has never been the Liverpool way but at times thats what we've had to do Biscan givin us some steel in the middle b4 his injury
We had to tighten everything up and play more through the middle because our wide players simply weren't there :(
With Baros' aggressive (still not controled enough for my liking) running back ,our wingers back and Stevie back the good nights could be back too especially at Anfield
Last edited by who the hell is diarra on Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:55 am

The_Rock wrote:if we can sort out the defence..........we would be world class.

Our attack isn't good enough to unlock all defences. I don't think we could put many goals past Chelsea, or AC Milan, Juve etc
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:57 am

But we would give it a damn good try :)
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:01 am

XSD wrote:
The_Rock wrote:if we can sort out the defence..........we would be world class.

Our attack isn't good enough to unlock all defences. I don't think we could put many goals past Chelsea, or AC Milan, Juve etc

With Euro 2004's top striker firing on all cylinders, you wanna bet? Baros still has plenty of learning to do but looks capable of unlocking anybody's defence if he's got Gerrard & Alonso providing the service behind him. It's not all roses in the garden but there's some happy times ahead of us I'm sure  :)

In Rafa we Trust
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:30 am

The addition of alonso to the team this year has given our play a lot more fkuidity and ataacking edge, and with Morientes/anelka coming in January then we will be even more dangerous going forward, with Baros starting to show the form he produced in Euro 2004.

perhaps the only thing we lack in attack though is a genuine winger who can get to the by-line and go by players down the wing to get crosses into the box on a regular basis. Kewell has the potential to do this down the left, but Garcia is not a right winger, a very good player he is, but is more suited to play in behind the strikers as he prefers to play centrally.  Hopefully Nunez can turn into the player Rafa hoeps him to b, as you can see he likes taking on players down the right and getting crosses in, but the ned product hasn't quite been their yet, hopefully in time he will be the answer. :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:35 am

True, i keep watchin him buy himself some time to get a cross off, but it always seems to get intercepted or is poorly struck. Come on Benitez work your magic.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:36 am

I'm sure that was said before we played Arsenal. Rafa is a tactical manager, he will find a weakness of the opposition and make sure we expose our opposition's weaknesses. i.e. Arsenal.

We play Chelsea in two weeks, while they have a solid defence they aren't unbeaten. Just ask Manchester City.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:47 am

I know how to beat Chelsea . Beat their midfield and we should win the game.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:53 am

LiverpoolMadman wrote:I know how to beat Chelsea .

why aren't u manger then?
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:23 am

cus he hasn't won two back to back la ligua titles in his first year as manager against some of the most respected clubs in the world.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:40 am

I am a manager in CM 5 ....:D
LiverpoolMadman

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion